NU vs Clemson

HSKRNOKC

I have watched every clemson game this yr. and have been to 2 and their QB sucks

This is inaccurate. The ACC does not have the caliber of QBs that the Big 12 does, but Harper is one of the top two or three QBs in the league. For the first 7 or 8 games this year, his throwing was affected by a shoulder injury that now seems to have healed and surely will have healed by bowl time. Last year, Harper's numbers included 27 TDs and just 6 picks, so he can get the job done when healthy.

This will be an interesting matchup. The ACC has been down for 4 or 5 years largely because of the weakness at QB. I saw one of your fans quip that FSU has been mediocre since Chris Weinke "turned 65" and graduated around 2000, and that is entirely accurate. The Rix experiment was a failure, and they've been weak at the position since then. Miami has also had QB troubles, and so has VPI since Michael Vick left 6 or 7 years ago. NC State had Philip Rivers from 2000 to 2003, followed by terrible QBs until Russell Wilson took over this year. Maryland had a kid you probably never heard of from 2000-2003, Scott McBrien, who was apparently better than most gave him credit since has been all but irreplaceable. You get the picture.

At the same time the defense has been outstanding, and the ACC has been right behind the SEC in sending players to the NFL even during this down period.

In contrast to the ACC, obviously, the Big 12 has quarterbacks in spades. Ganz gets overlooked by some, but there's no doubt he'd be among the best in the ACC. We will get to see how he does against a defense that may (or may not) be better than any defense in the Big 12. There has been a lot of talk about Clemson's "backfield" -- meaning Spiller, Davis, and sometimes Harper -- from your fans and ours, but when I think of Clemson's "backfield", the first thing that comes to mind is Clemson's DBs. I won't cite Clemson's pass efficiency stats, since they are compiled against a pretty poor group of QBs, but these guys are probably among the top five units in the country. Our sack numbers have improved lately but we have had trouble getting to the QB this year, making the secondary's play all the more impressive. Of course, with the departure of our defensive coordinator, things could look very different when the bowl game rolls around.

In short, our strengths are, in order: (1) tailbacks, (2) DBs, both safeties and corners, (3) QB, now that he's healthy, and (4) DL, despite the disappointing sack figure. Weaknesses are (1) OL, though improving, (2) linebackers, who are young and also improving.

And this is what worries me. PLUS THE SPEED! CU went down to FSU and the 'noles just ran circles around them.

I don't think any NE Fan should be taking this game lighlty, as some seem to be. I see us as a slight dawg in this one.

Maybe I'm wrong.

i too see us as the dawg in this one, but the list he put forth really plays in our favor i think.

our strengths in order 1) D-line 2) QB 3) WR 4) RB 5) o-line..... our LBs and DBs are hit and miss so we'll just see how hit or miss they are on jan. 1st

I think it's the speed we'll have to adapt to. Probably will take a qtr or so for that.

I have watched every clemson game this yr. and have been to 2 and their QB sucks

This is inaccurate. The ACC does not have the caliber of QBs that the Big 12 does, but Harper is one of the top two or three QBs in the league. For the first 7 or 8 games this year, his throwing was affected by a shoulder injury that now seems to have healed and surely will have healed by bowl time. Last year, Harper's numbers included 27 TDs and just 6 picks, so he can get the job done when healthy.

This will be an interesting matchup. The ACC has been down for 4 or 5 years largely because of the weakness at QB. I saw one of your fans quip that FSU has been mediocre since Chris Weinke "turned 65" and graduated around 2000, and that is entirely accurate. The Rix experiment was a failure, and they've been weak at the position since then. Miami has also had QB troubles, and so has VPI since Michael Vick left 6 or 7 years ago. NC State had Philip Rivers from 2000 to 2003, followed by terrible QBs until Russell Wilson took over this year. Maryland had a kid you probably never heard of from 2000-2003, Scott McBrien, who was apparently better than most gave him credit since has been all but irreplaceable. You get the picture.

At the same time the defense has been outstanding, and the ACC has been right behind the SEC in sending players to the NFL even during this down period.

In contrast to the ACC, obviously, the Big 12 has quarterbacks in spades. Ganz gets overlooked by some, but there's no doubt he'd be among the best in the ACC. We will get to see how he does against a defense that may (or may not) be better than any defense in the Big 12. There has been a lot of talk about Clemson's "backfield" -- meaning Spiller, Davis, and sometimes Harper -- from your fans and ours, but when I think of Clemson's "backfield", the first thing that comes to mind is Clemson's DBs. I won't cite Clemson's pass efficiency stats, since they are compiled against a pretty poor group of QBs, but these guys are probably among the top five units in the country. Our sack numbers have improved lately but we have had trouble getting to the QB this year, making the secondary's play all the more impressive. Of course, with the departure of our defensive coordinator, things could look very different when the bowl game rolls around.

In short, our strengths are, in order: (1) tailbacks, (2) DBs, both safeties and corners, (3) QB, now that he's healthy, and (4) DL, despite the disappointing sack figure. Weaknesses are (1) OL, though improving, (2) linebackers, who are young and also improving.

And this is what worries me. PLUS THE SPEED! CU went down to FSU and the 'noles just ran circles around them.

I don't think any NE Fan should be taking this game lighlty, as some seem to be. I see us as a slight dawg in this one.

Maybe I'm wrong.

i too see us as the dawg in this one, but the list he put forth really plays in our favor i think.

our strengths in order 1) D-line 2) QB 3) WR 4) RB 5) o-line..... our LBs and DBs are hit and miss so we'll just see how hit or miss they are on jan. 1st

I think it's the speed we'll have to adapt to. Probably will take a qtr or so for that.

you may be right, you probably are more so than not, but i remember a few years ago.... ok 13 to be exact, but i remember hearing that NU wouldn't be able to keep up with the speed of florida, and the fact of the matter is that fla. couldn't hang with us.

i know this is a different team, coaching staff, ex. but we do play in the big12, we've been around speed all year.

Maybe I'm wrong.

you may be right, you probably are more so than not, but i remember a few years ago.... ok 13 to be exact, but i remember hearing that NU wouldn't be able to keep up with the speed of florida, and the fact of the matter is that fla. couldn't hang with us.

i know this is a different team, coaching staff, ex. but we do play in the big12, we've been around speed all year.

Well, it turned out we were just as fast as FL and a helluva lot tougher. It was their crazy, wide open passing game--that was considered relatively innovative at the time--that was supposed to torch us. Unfortunately for them, our D line made them look likes pansies.

I'm worried about the speed thing, especially on their D and their skill players. But I think the game will be hard fought and close once we adapt. I think Clemson should be more worried about laying an egg which is sorta their M.O.

I just have a chronic dread of going to FL and playing a fast southeastern team. Too many bad memories from the FSU/MIA yrs. Clemson beat us back then too, when we were rated like #1, based on their speed.

:yeah

Much better offenses, too.

We all must have forgotten that we just beat a very average team in Colorado. If we start the way we did against VA TECH, MIZZOU, OKLAHOMA, AND CU we will get beat. Clemson looks like they have some explosive players. However, if NU plays with the balanced offense we have seen the last few months and controls the clock, I like our chances. I think we have a pretty good defense against the run, Clemson will need to prove they can throw the ball consistently in my opinion.

I think this is a great matchup and am so glad to be playing on New Years again where we belong!!!!!!

This should be fun!

Hello Ladies and Gents

JT here and as my screen name says I am a Clemson Fan.

While I have read quite a few post here talking about how NU was going to just demolish and Embaress Clemson in this New years Day bowl game I can not help but wonder what it is about Clemson that would make some of you guy think this to be true?

Either way I welcome the banter and smack talk over the next few weeks as both teams prepare for the game.

I would also like to invite some of you NU guys to one of our fan forums to share in the smack talk.....You know we are tired of making fun on the Chickens oops Gamecocks and need a lil fresh material.

So join us and I will join you guys here and lets have some fun while we both have to wait till Jan 1 to see some more football from the teams we all love

http://www.tigerpawtalk.com/forum/index.php

Clemson Fan JT

The Huskers will most likely not demolish Clemson, as the only team that beat them handily was Alabama, I believe. Clemson is a very talented team and will give the Huskers fits. I think they played better down the stretch and may be a better team than the 7-5 record indicates, and maybe a better foe than Florida State, in terms of talent. However, with a lame duck interim coach, it is kind of a less attractive matchup and may not be perceived as much of a victory if the Huskers do win. I think it will be interesting to play a team like Clemson, though.

Sorry but you must not follow current events.......Dabo shed that title of Interim coach last week and is now THE HEAD COACH and i will agree that Clemson is better than the 7-5 record indicates

But we will have all December to debate this lol

Hey everyone - CLEMSON FAN here...

First of all, I can't wait to play ya'll in the Gator Bowl. I think it will be an excellent, competitive game. I have the utmost respect for Nebraska football and am thrilled that after a 3-3 start, we get to play the 'Huskers in a solid bowl game! Awesome.

I emailed the moderarators of this board and asked permission to tell you guys about my fan based website. They said it was fine, so here goes. The name is fans25.com It is open to all teams but is currently 90 percent Tiger fans as I am a recent alum. It couldnt be easier or cheaper (free) to join and strike up conversation with true Clemson die-hards (and scattered others)...

Thanks so much guys, I look forward to chatting with ya'll on this board and my boards in the coming weeks!

Go Tigers!

The Top Fan

? for you tiger fans.... how's the play of our special teams?

ours isn't out standing, it seems to be hit and miss mostly, we've had a few good punt and kick returns this season, but nothing to hang your hat on.

and our kick and punt coverage is average at best.

oh yeah, we have a couple good kickers

Our special teams play has been quite a suprise this year. In years past we have had trouble in kickoff coverage. This year we have done a very good job in containing opposing teams from breaking big ones. Our punting game has been pretty solid & we have two guys that sometimes rotate in and out. The kicker has been really good all year but missed 2 FG's in our last game. Our return game is where we can beat you. Spiller has a nack for busting long returns because of his ability to hit the hole at full speed. We will also put Jacoby Ford back deep with him on kickoffs and punts. We put them both back on punts so you can't kick away from them unless you go out of bounds.

Not so fast my friends, Clemson has been offered, but NE has NOT been officially offered yet(for the Gator).

link

"An invitation to the Jacksonville, Fla., game was extended Wednesday to the Tigers (7-5), who likely will be matched up with Nebraska (8-4). Hundreds of Cornhuskers fans have already booked flights to Florida, even though the invitation probably won't be extended until Sunday."

Clone, this game won't be an easy W

I agree, they have speed and talent all over the field. Our tackling had better be sure or we are going to get real sick of chasing tigers up and down the field.

hmmm... just my opinion but I think the mighty skers will handle clemson rather easily.

and I don't even like kool-aid ( I predicted a 6-6 or 7-5 NU season -- remember?).

I think that NU has improved as the season progressed, the KU game really showed that.

D genius BO gets a month to prepare the D. suh will probably hospitalize someone.

on offense-- Helu can run, henery can score from freakin midfield.

... and the Ganzinator

...will get the game ball. ;)

We had 2 weeks to prepare for CU and they burn us for two tds on their 1st four plays. Our team is still too mistake prone to feel like we will 'handle' any team, let alone Clemson. They have alot of speed and talent.

I think it will be a dogfight, but I am really worried about Spiller and Davis. This game will resemble the VT game, but Clemson has a better O as far as I can tell.

We should be worried.

feel free to worry... :)

I choose not to.

BO KNOWS FOOTBALL.

Perhaps my use of the term "easy win" is being associated with BLOWOUT.

Nope... won't be a blowout. But I fully expect the mighty skers to have the game in hand BEFORE the 4th quarter.

opinions vary.

feel free to worry... :)

I choose not to.

BO KNOWS FOOTBALL.

Perhaps my use of the term "easy win" is being associated with BLOWOUT.

Nope... won't be a blowout. But I fully expect the mighty skers to have the game in hand BEFORE the 4th quarter.

opinions vary.

My early assessment . . . I think I agree. The teams with mobile quarterbacks and great offensive lines to give him time are the teams that have hurt us this year. By Clemson's own fans' admission, they lack those two things. I think we win, not in a blowout, but a solid win.