Future of Mizzou

Husker_x

Evenin' gents,

Over on 1620 they were discussing the future of Missouri. Their premise was that with Chase "Booger" Daniel graduating, Maclin and Coffman NFL bound, and the O-coordinator off to Wyoming, it seems the Mizzou storm has passed, and all is back to normal. With Nebraska's defense likely to continue improving into one of the better in the Big XII in the next few years, Mizzou might be lucky to finish better than third in the near future.

Agree? Disagree?

I'd have to say that I agree for the most part. This was supposed to be their year. They had an absolute magical Harry Potter meets Lord of the Rings and Disney World moment with Daniel/Maclin/Coffman...and they couldn't get it done. If not now, when? My answer: probably never. I can see them scrapping with KSUCC and ISU for scraps next season. Their already awful defense is losing quite a few guys, I've heard.

Evenin' gents,

Over on 1620 they were discussing the future of Missouri. Their premise was that with Chase "Booger" Daniel graduating, Maclin and Coffman NFL bound, and the O-coordinator off to Wyoming, it seems the Mizzou storm has passed, and all is back to normal. With Nebraska's defense likely to continue improving into one of the better in the Big XII in the next few years, Mizzou might be lucky to finish better than third in the near future.

Agree? Disagree?

I'd have to say that I agree for the most part. This was supposed to be their year. They had an absolute magical Harry Potter meets Lord of the Rings and Disney World moment with Daniel/Maclin/Coffman...and they couldn't get it done. If not now, when? My answer: probably never. I can see them scrapping for KSUCC and ISU for scraps next season. Their already awful defense is losing quite a few guys, I've heard.

My hopes are that Missouri is terrible, because Christiansen was the brains behind it all.

Which means Wyoming becomes relevent, and the Huskers return to their rightful spot

on top of the North :clap

I agree, no matter what you think of Chase Daniel, he was a good QB for them. Take away him and some other players along with the off. co. and I think they drop.

If NU can find a QB for next year, we should have as good a shot as any to win the north.

Missouri is kind of in the same boat we are...depends a lot on who the QB is going to be, and how they react to being in the position of having the team on their shoulders...following in someone's footsteps is not easy. I like Nebraska's chances better than I like Mizzou's though...

Personally, I am putting my money on Missouri having a rough time of it next season. Though, I don't think we have seen the last of them, they will continue to compete in the future.

Missouri is kind of in the same boat we are...depends a lot on who the QB is going to be, and how they react to being in the position of having the team on their shoulders...following in someone's footsteps is not easy. I like Nebraska's chances better than I like Mizzou's though...

Personally, I am putting my money on Missouri having a rough time of it next season. Though, I don't think we have seen the last of them, they will continue to compete in the future.

Don't forget about Gabbert, he could be a force to be reckoned with if he has some good company with him

I said this in a few other threads, I think that the next 2-3 years will tell us exactly how good Pinkel is as a coach overall. You have to give him credit for raising the overall level of recruiting there and was smart enough to change offensive schemes. The true test of a program's top tier status is the ability to reload. NU did that, OU does that, UT does that, etc. I am not sure next year will be a great year for them, but the key will be the next two years after that. If Mizzou can't get back to the top in 2-3 years, then I think everyone's prediction of their demise is accurate.

------Edit--------

Also want to add that as a part of the year after next or the following year being more important in telling us how strong Mizzou's program is, I don't think anyone can look at a bad year for Mizzou next year as an indication. Now if they continue to win next year, then obviously we can tell Mizzou's program is better than expected a bit earlier than I am predicting.

I listened to the same radio segment yesterday, and I can't help but agree. All good teams reload and come back firing year after years (NU from mid 60's to late 90's). I don't see Mizzou being capable of doing this. MU, CU, KSU, etc., all have a good recruiting class and a few good years and then they sink back into mediocrity. I'm not expecting anything different within the next few years.

Their *Perfect Storm* has passed and I don't think they'll be as lucky as Texas was 2 years ago when McCoy started as a Freshman. I just don't see Mizzou being capable of that given their entire history. I still think they could be competitive next season in the B12 North, but as far as talent and coaching I think Nebraska has the best chance of taking the North next year. Time will tell, but the North is going to come down to MU, NU, and possibly KU.

There are a few things that The USC guys overlook. Who can blame them. They are total homers. Not to mention they know almost nothing about the other teams they bash on.

Pinkel for those who dont know is an offensive coach. The O cord. at UWash for 10+ seasons, the O cord for the national championship team. Set the O at Toledo and Missouri (all 3 times) Christiansen is talented. But If he was a super star wouldn't he have been gathered up by someone else by now. He has been on GP's staff since he was hired by Pinkel as a line coach at UW. He is getting his shot, good for him. But to act like he takes all offensive knowledge with him is freakin stupid.

As for where Mu goes from this point on. That as caveman and huskertrucker said, lies on the QB and the next 2 years really. Mu was not a flash in the pan. They have improved their program for about 8 years now. They climbed slowly. Winning games they used to lose, and losing less in that ol "mizzou" way. YOu have to remember where MU was. Maybe 3 wins a year. They are not going back to that. They have too much talent to suck like that again. FOR the last 5 seasons they have gotten the majority of the top kids in state. There are alot of them that are good. If you look at MU's roster, you will see the majority of their main players are instate kids. THey have continued to get their type of players from texas and surrounding areas. Because of the more recent high level sucsess they have pulled players they couldn't have gotten before.

I have no reason to believe that Mu should not be a 8-9 win team almost every year with some ups and downs tossed in. They have done that for the last few years (minus 04, which I am sure everyone agrees sucked because they tried to turn Smith into a drop back passer).

Really for most it is a case of not paying attention. Most of you know nothing/to very little about MU. You assume things and have no backing for them. Mu will suck because...but then you turn that into a positive for your own team. Every thing you say about MU could be said about NU. Mu will be down because of no Daniel (NU will be down because of no Ganz) Mu loses offensive playmakers ( NU loses more offesive playmakers) MU's D will suck worse because of guys leaving (Nu's D will suck worse becuase they are going to count on a team half full of RS who have never taken a snap in college)

Just like there is no reason for me to believe MU will fall of the map, there is no reason why i should believe that Nu is the team to beat next year when everyone who made your team good will be gone with the exception of Suh and Helu. How many games does NU win without Ganz, Peterson and Swift. 6, 5, maybe 4.

Let me say this. There are some pretty bright football minds on this board that look at things with clear lenses. Some do not. Thats cool its a Husker board. It is just easy for me to rant about things like this. MU has alot to prove next year. I know that as much as anyone. But atleast be objective about why you think something. I would bet good money the group that is saying Mu will fall were saying the same thing when Brad Smith left.

Fro daddy:

The basic point you didn't really get to, though, is the "If not now, when?" I'm not talking about Nebraska. The only thing I said about Nebraska is that their defense will likely only ever get better under Pelini. Success follows the man around like a car salesman. In a weak north, having any defense at all basically puts you in the running for the Big XII every year. All you have to do is make it to the championship and upset someone.

But regardless, the point here is Mizzou has the single greatest team they've ever produced so far as I know. With Daniel, Maclin, and Coffman, you've still basically managed nothing of value as a program. Now all I heard in the preseason was how Mizzou had joined the ranks of the elite. This is the moment a new dynasty is born. National Champions. Mark it. And like clockwork, Oklahoma State, Texas, and soon to be Oklahoma smash all those lofty dreams.

The question then becomes what are you going to do without Daniel, Maclin, and Coffman? Without a defense to speak of (I watched Reesing toy around with them all afternoon), and no real reason to suspect it's going to get any better, how is Mizzou's future anything but mediocre? An offensive team who doesn't play defense loses its top three offensive threats. Where is the upside here?

Now I know we're all homers here. That's fine. Part of the game. But from an outsider's perspective, it seems Mizzou missed its best chance of doing something great for at least the next few years.

I said this in a few other threads, I think that the next 2-3 years will tell us exactly how good Pinkel is as a coach overall. You have to give him credit for raising the overall level of recruiting there and was smart enough to change offensive schemes. The true test of a program's top tier status is the ability to reload. NU did that, OU does that, UT does that, etc. I am not sure next year will be a great year for them, but the key will be the next two years after that. If Mizzou can't get back to the top in 2-3 years, then I think everyone's prediction of their demise is accurate.

------Edit--------

Also want to add that as a part of the year after next or the following year being more important in telling us how strong Mizzou's program is, I don't think anyone can look at a bad year for Mizzou next year as an indication. Now if they continue to win next year, then obviously we can tell Mizzou's program is better than expected a bit earlier than I am predicting.

I think we already know what kind of coach Pickle is. He changed his offense to the spread after and I stress after the best spread option QB probably to ever walk onto the field graduates from Mizzou. It's easy to see he's an offensive coach. It's very easy to compare him to Leach at TT. Right now, both teams are pretenders. Until they figure out what Spurrier did at Florida that you need a D, they will not be in any NC hunt.

He does recruit pretty decent. They do have some talent. They will hang around for a few years. When the season ends, it's quite possible we could have an identical record as Mizzou. However, we weren't even mentioned to do anything at the beginning of the season like they were. This has to be a huge disappointing failure of a season for them.

It could be just coach speak, but I doubt it. Pinkel has stated what I believe most TRUE Tiger fans also.

He has stated that everything Mu wanted is still in front of them. In his own words. Why would a NC be our goal when we havent won the Big 12 yet. First things first.

Mu won the north again. They have won atleast 9 games. Go back a number of years and offer that to someone and see if they would take it. I am dissapointed MU lost to KU not at the season. The D didnt live up to the hype this year. If they had played like they did last year who knows, but they didnt. I am still happy with the season to this point.

Now Husker X,

There is no way for you to know what is in store for MU in the future and what players may play there. It took Nebraska 23 year to Win it all after the 71 season. Would you call those 23 yrs a dissapointment. Would you say during someof those like say, ' 78' , "if not now, WHEN"

Who is too say that Daniel will be the best ever?? People thought Brad Smith was the best MU QB ever until 2 years ago. Most people thought Martin Rucker was the best TE ever until this year. Kellen Winslow before him. Mel Grey was the best ever all around player and MU intil Maclin. There could be a player on the roster now ready to take over. Or maybe a soph. in HS will be the guy, or maybe my 3 year-old son is the next superstar.

You asked what people thought would happen at MU, I gave my opinion. You have no clue about what is there. By your own admission you dont know what they are losing beyond the big names. nor do you know they number of young player that have seen significant time in nearly every game this year. (BTW is about the same plan GP took in 2005, playing the young guys he know would be replacing multi-year starters) I would argue that MU has better players than NE, even losing the players mentioned. So what if Mu goes and gets a new D cord. like I want them to? Do you change your story and say Mu could dominate? Or will they always just be MU to you?? Because considering Mu has more talent, a good coach will automatically make them better right...

------Edit--------

I think we already know what kind of coach Pickle is. He changed his offense to the spread after and I stress after the best spread option QB probably to ever walk onto the field graduates from Mizzou. It's easy to see he's an offensive coach. It's very easy to compare him to Leach at TT. Right now, both teams are pretenders. Until they figure out what Spurrier did at Florida that you need a D, they will not be in any NC hunt.

He does recruit pretty decent. They do have some talent. They will hang around for a few years. When the season ends, it's quite possible we could have an identical record as Mizzou. However, we weren't even mentioned to do anything at the beginning of the season like they were. This has to be a huge disappointing failure of a season for them.

junior,

Mu ran the spread in 2005. Brad Smiths senior year. They switched to it right after the 04 season and were running spread by that spring. Infact they run the exact same offense as they did in 2005. It hasnt changed. All that changed was the play calling. When Smith was QB they ran alot more of the read option. With Daniel they pass more.

Brad was a hell of a football player, but he was not the greatest spread QB ever. He is a better throwing QB then Pat White, but not much. And that is not exactly a big deal. I think you could find about 100 starters from the 119 in D-1 that are better throwing than White. Smith could run the read option as good as anyone, but missed more open WR than I care to remember.

It could be just coach speak, but I doubt it. Pinkel has stated what I believe most TRUE Tiger fans also.

He has stated that everything Mu wanted is still in front of them. In his own words. Why would a NC be our goal when we havent won the Big 12 yet. First things first.

Mu won the north again. They have won atleast 9 games. Go back a number of years and offer that to someone and see if they would take it. I am dissapointed MU lost to KU not at the season. The D didnt live up to the hype this year. If they had played like they did last year who knows, but they didnt. I am still happy with the season to this point.

Now Husker X,

There is no way for you to know what is in store for MU in the future and what players may play there. It took Nebraska 23 year to Win it all after the 71 season. Would you call those 23 yrs a dissapointment. Would you say during someof those like say, ' 78' , "if not now, WHEN"

Who is too say that Daniel will be the best ever?? People thought Brad Smith was the best MU QB ever until 2 years ago. Most people thought Martin Rucker was the best TE ever until this year. Kellen Winslow before him. Mel Grey was the best ever all around player and MU intil Maclin. There could be a player on the roster now ready to take over. Or maybe a soph. in HS will be the guy, or maybe my 3 year-old son is the next superstar.

You asked what people thought would happen at MU, I gave my opinion. You have no clue about what is there. By your own admission you dont know what they are losing beyond the big names. nor do you know they number of young player that have seen significant time in nearly every game this year. (BTW is about the same plan GP took in 2005, playing the young guys he know would be replacing multi-year starters) I would argue that MU has better players than NE, even losing the players mentioned. So what if Mu goes and gets a new D cord. like I want them to? Do you change your story and say Mu could dominate? Or will they always just be MU to you?? Because considering Mu has more talent, a good coach will automatically make them better right...

I'm not trying to be rude, but you don't seem to get what I'm trying to say here. It took Osborne about forever to get the big one, but how many conference championships and big bowl appearances were in between those years? Lots. But again, I'm not talking about Nebraska. I'm talking about this, very simple:

Missouri's best team in history (so far) shares the North division crown with Nebraska, loses to an average Kansas team, and probably gets whipped by every decent south team they play. There is a tandem on offense that anyone in the nation would love to have, one so rare it might be a decade before you see them again. If Pinkel can't get it done with what he has, why does anyone expect them to do it anytime in the near future? Maybe there's three more Maclin's on the depth chart. Sure, it's possible, but so is winning the lottery right as you're being struck by lightning. We're talking bad odds, bro. Mizzou watched the parade go by. That's my point. They had the best shot they're likely to see for awhile.

Hell, maybe Mizzou wins the big one in 23 years. I don't know if Pinkel lasts that long after blowing this season, though. Consistency is the goal for your program at this point. Maybe they can keep in the 9 win bracket, but they're barely going to manage that with the amazing talent they have now. We'll see. Best of luck.