Things To Do In Jacksonville Before Or After The Gator Bowl

On most of the boards, i've read that Jacksonville is a dump. In fact I've watched a few COPs shows that seem to back up the claim. I've only spent a few weeks in florida-(Tampa Bay and Miami) and it does seem to be pretty white trash with a good amount of getto thrown in.

since I'll be staying about 3 miles from the stadium and just across the river from downtown, does anyone know if that area is near a getto? (I noticed MLK Ave is across the river and about 3 miles north of DT)

It seems like there are about 25 upscale bars and steakhouses within about a mile of my hotel but most are DT across the river. I "think" I'm in a decent area. If I recall the J-ville COPS shows correctly, most of their calls were not in the DT area.

On most of the boards, i've read that Jacksonville is a dump. In fact I've watched a few COPs shows that seem to back up the claim. I've only spent a few weeks in florida-(Tampa Bay and Miami) and it does seem to be pretty white trash with a good amount of getto thrown in.

since I'll be staying about 3 miles from the stadium and just across the river from downtown, does anyone know if that area is near a getto? (I noticed MLK Ave is across the river and about 3 miles north of DT)

It seems like there are about 25 upscale bars and steakhouses within about a mile of my hotel but most are DT across the river. I "think" I'm in a decent area. If I recall the J-ville COPS shows correctly, most of their calls were not in the DT area.

Is it a Howard Johnson's? That's usually a bad sign.

Google map it and use the street level view.

We are staying at a Holiday Inn Express about 8 miles from Airport and 4 miles from Zoo. Berlin Road or Heckshire Drive???

Don't know, if anyone knows Jacksonville, let me know about the place.

But, hey, gone to many bowl games, and all around country and have stayed in bad places and neighborhoods at it is still NEBRASKA FOOTBALL BABY !!!!!!!!!!

Hell, right now, Omaha friggin sucks for crime, and at least Jacksonville should be a littler "warmer" crime.

And if drinking, being rowdy, having a ball, and cheerin' on the 'skers is a crime, then I will be featured on the next COPS Jax. then. :horns2

z128368568.jpg

Football and sight seeing at the local beach. What's not to like about a warm weather bowl game?

Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec

Avg. High 64° 67° 74° 78° 84° 88° 91° 90° 87° 80° 74° 66°

Avg. Low 40° 44° 48° 54° 62° 68° 71° 71° 68° 58° 50° 44°

Mean 52° 55° 61° 67° 74° 78° 82° 81° 78° 70° 62° 55°

I highly doubt you see too many string bikinis.....................

I went to watch CU play FSU in Jacksonville back in September and hung out all day at The Landing. It is pretty much a congregation of restaraunts and bars with several outdoor kiosks serving up your favorite beverage. You can take launches or busses from the landing to the stadium as well.

All along the river are many great bars/restaurants. Their DT has been vitalized and you should be safe. If they had a bad problem then they'd lose out on all the tourism.

A friend from college that I stayed with lived about 2 miles across the river east from the stadium. Nice neighborhood and his country club was right on the river. We did go down to Jacksonville Beach to see the ocean and party/dine and a Saturday night and it seemed the clientel was more locals. That is a nice area.

Not mentioned in the link on what to do is the World Golf Hall of Fame and the Ponte Vedra area...home of golf resorts and the TPC Stadium Course and Sawgrass. That area is REALLY nice.

I left with a very good impression of the area. But there are 'red necks' all over that state.