Shawn Watson interviews for New Mexico job

If he interviews for somewhere else they he isnt committed to the program and should leave anyway.

I think everyone knew that the day he would be hired as a HC elsewhere was coming. I think if he waited another year and Nebraska wins the Big 12 North next year his stock would go up. He may be thinking that he needs to jump now because he doesn't have a returning QB, and his best receiver will be gone also, so he is basically starting over at the skilled positions next year.

I don't begrudge the man for wanting to be a HC...if he was leaving for another OC job, then I would be saying he needs to be gone, the sooner the better. But this is stepping up to a higher paying and more visible position for him. I think every coach wants the opportunity to do it their way. The only reason he was here this year I am pretty sure is because the offense was producing last season, and Osborne wanted to keep some kind of consistency on that side of the ball. I think if Watson is hired away, it will give Bo the opportunity to put his face on the offense, let's face it - we pretty much still have a BC inspired offense at this point, or the left overs from it.

Who do you guys want if Shawn Watson does in fact leave? Do you think Turner is a choice?

No way. He has much bigger fish to fry.

The stud qb recruit C Green basically committed to Watson..

New Mexico and Bowling green are both interested.

I hope this is a ploy to get more $$ because I for one do NOT want to see Watson go.

:yeah

Turner has positioned himself to go somewhere as a head coach.

I dont want Watson to leave, but I will say that hed better figure out how to best use our players a little earlier in the year next year. By the time we got to the va tech game, we shouldve had more of an identity on offense. The last half of the year for the most part was awesome of offense.

I felt the same way until I stopped and thought about the situation a little more. Yes, Watson and Gilmore stayed but we brought in 3 new coaches on offense this season. Add the fact that Watson never had full control of the O under Callllahan and realistically it was going to take some time to get some consistency on that side of the ball. Watson has done one hell of a job this year.

This is probably why so many of us would rather hire someone with Nebraska ties..Stability.

Trying to look at this from SW's point of view:

New Mexico tries to get a new coach every couple of years for a reason..Nobody can win there.

If he stays put for another two or three years, something better is almost guaranteed to open up.

Same goes for Turner (Buffalo Gill).

I hope he stays, I hate all the coaching changes we have had since 2003.

But you can't blame him for trying to better himself.

But I would think if he stayed, developed Witt, Lee, Spano, or Green and had continued sucess with his offense then he wouldn't have to settle for a New Mexico, or Bowling Green job. Those for the most part are dead end jobs, no budget, no facilities, and your recruiting against BCS conferences for the local/in state talent.

I hope he stays, I hate all the coaching changes we have had since 2003.

But you can't blame him for trying to better himself.

But I would think if he stayed, developed Witt, Lee, Spano, or Green and had continued sucess with his offense then he wouldn't have to settle for a New Mexico, or Bowling Green job. Those for the most part are dead end jobs, no budget, no facilities, and your recruiting against BCS conferences for the local/in state talent.

Well, Watson doesn't impress me as HC material, seems like just a really good OC. Some of these OCs are getting like 900k at power schools now, so if I were him I'd just stay at NE, see if he can help get us back into the BCS games and maybe go from there if he still aspires to be an HC. He lives in Lincoln so his $$ goes a long way--he has a good gig now, a great gig!

I would be disappointed if he left, but I could understand why he would want his own team. I don't think he would honestly leave NU for NMSU when we have a good thing going here and if he helps rebuild us bigger schools and programs will come calling. I don't think Green would decommit from us just because of this either.

If he interviews for somewhere else they he isnt committed to the program and should leave anyway.

Really????

Every coach in Osborne's era interviewed for other jobs, including Osborne himself. Should they all have left? Its a part of the profession... get over it. Everyone of these guys will interview for a job sometime somewhere. It is also a way of making connections for these guys. In case their ever without a job and need one, they have that many more connections.

I am also willing to bet that you have interviewed for another job at one point or another while working for your employer. You guys are way overboard on this. It happens all the time... not just in the coaching profession.

By the way... didn't we have something like the 9th ranked offense in the country this year. With the overall talent that we had on the offense that is a decent place to end up in the rankings. Sure wasn't just because of the other offensive coaches we ended up there. A lot of the credit goes to Watson. I truly believe that some on this board will never let the fact that he coached at Colorado go. JMO!!!

I will stand up and say that I want him to STAY,and I am very hopeful that he will!!!