When did you stop caring about the Heisman trophy?? Or do you still care?

TMul

I post this question to all of you, do you still care who wins the Hypsemen trophy or not? And if not when did you stop caring??

I quit caring about the Heisman trophy watch in 1995 when I watched the best ISU Cyclone RB (Arguably the best in the Big 8 Ever) Troy Davis, not win it when he compiled 2084 yards that season for the Cyclones while going up against what would be 4 Top 10 AP Poll finishers in NU, CU, KSU, KU in 1995. The previous 4 RB's before him to eclipse the 2000 yard mark won the trophy (Marcus Allen, Mike Rozier, Barry Sanders, Salaam). Davis finished in 5th place that year. Then the next year in 1996 he followed that up with another 2185 yards and a single ISU rushing record of 378 yards to lose to the worst Heisman Winner of all time in Danny Wuerful. That's over 4200 rushing yards in 2 seasons in a time where teams were geared in stopping the run. He was the epitome of a 1 man show at ISU. I will never forget the interview that Davis did in front of ESPN cameras that night he lost, he could barely speak as he was so nervous. From that time forward I quit caring. Even when Crouch won it I didn't care.

It is more of a popularity contest. An award given to players who can amass gaudy stats and by that definition eliminates any player not touching the football on a regular basis...it should go back to what it was, an award given to the best player in college football.

Isn't it a curse anyway. How many Heisman winners lately have gone on to have stellar NFL careers?

Kiss of death in my opinion.

I just did a little research on the 1995 Iowa State Cyclones team. The Cyclones finished 3-8 that season. Now while I understand the award should go to the "Best" player in college football, that isn't how the voters look at it. They would never give the award to a runner like Troy Davis when his team goes 3-8, they just simply won't. They probably would have decades ago, but not with today's media.

I wish they would give it to the "best" player and not just the players whose team is in a bcs bowl. I think the flashiness and how well their team does contributes a lot to who wins it.

For example, I personally believe Colt McCoy should win the Heisman this year, but I know he is going to lose a lot of votes because he's not in the BCS Championship game. People are probably going to focus on Bradford and Tebow since they are the ones who will be playing for the title. It's unfortunate, but so are a lot of things in college football.

It's not that I don't care at all, but do wish they'd wait till after the bowl games to decide and/or award the hypesman - or any other award for that matter. The fact is that football is a team sport, and one player being singled out takes the focus of that player off bowl preparations, thus potentially hurting his team.

Valid argument...and I agree.

For me, it was when some ESPN analyst said you had to consider Jay Barker for the Heisman, being the QB of an unbeaten team. This was a team with a killer defense and David Palmer at running back, but this guy's criteria was the winning record of the QB, even though he was a steady but unspectacular passer. Basically his job was to pick up an occasional third down and make minimal mistakes.

At that point I pretty much realized there was no real criteria and ESPN's Heisman watch starting with who has the best spring game just made it an overhyped award.

I just did a little research on the 1995 Iowa State Cyclones team. The Cyclones finished 3-8 that season. Now while I understand the award should go to the "Best" player in college football, that isn't how the voters look at it.

that's the whole problem in a nutshell. It has become the best player on the best team, not the best player in college football...

never better illustrated than the troy davis vote.

he was a one man team (literally). running behind the 3-8 isu line, everyone in the stadium knew he was getting the ball on almost every play and still couldn't stop him.

Over 2000 yards in 1995- he was under 100 yards once- OU.

Back to back -- in 1996 troy became the first and only person in NCAA history to rush for over 2,000 yards twice in a career -- no one held him under 130 yards in ANY 1996 game.

no one.

Just a little guy (5' 8" about 185), incredibly durable, never missed a game or a practice.

in 1996- troy had 402 carries for 2185 yards for an average per carry of 5.44 and 21 td's -- imagine a little back carrying that often in big time college football.

most awesome player I have ever had the pleasure to watch in person. huge heart.

His 378 yards were against mizzou in '96. I was at that game in ames- getting the ball with less than a minute to go until the half, starting inside their own twenty, isu went to their hurry up offense

-- hand it to troy davis.

a few plays later ... touchdown.

unbelievable runner.

Long ago. Heisman hasn't been a relevant trophy to me for nearly 20 years. It's not about the best player anymore, it's about the media favorites and gaudy stats on a great team.

This year is another joke. If Colt McCoy was the favorite and hasn't had a bad game why does Sam Bradford become the frontrunnner simply because McCoy's DEFENSE gave up a last second touchdown to Texas Tech?

McCoy doesn't play defense. It shouldn't matter, but it does. Which is dumb.

I still watch it and will continue to watch it every year. It is kind of fun to watch and see what the players are like. I have to say though that the most fun player that I have ever watched goes to Reggie Bush. At USC everytime he touched the ball you never knew what he would do or what would end up happening

I still watch it and will continue to watch it every year. It is kind of fun to watch and see what the players are like. I have to say though that the most fun player that I have ever watched goes to Reggie Bush. At USC everytime he touched the ball you never knew what he would do or what would end up happening

I watched Troy Davis at ISU and Barry Sanders at Okie State do exactly the same things as Bush did WITHOUT all the media hype he rec'd from ESPN/ABC/USC. That and those 2 rbs primarily did it all by themselves (Sanders had a little more help with Gundy and their receiver). ESPN took the Reggie Bush thing to a whole other level and Bush played with a STACKED team.

I never really liked trophies, but the Heisman is kinda pretty.

I resent how the media tries to get more females? interested in Football by trying to break it down to individuals as opposed to teams..For an upcoming game there will always be something said like, "Watch so and so and the mighty insert team mascot name here..go up against another player or legendary coach and his team".