Suh a first rounder?

Didn't that adwizard McShay also say once that Carl Nicks should be a late 1st mid 2nd round pick last year. Good call for a guy that could barely move side to side. Suh would honestly be behind the Cody kid from Bama if he comes out, the USC DT, and probably DT from UNC if not more. It's not that I think that they are better, but it is how it goes.

Suh stays, even though it would be smart with the signing bonuses for rookies is going to be capped after this year. He values his education (as do his parents), his family is well off financially (no 20 cousins, aunts, and uncles to support and I believe his parents are professors or physicist or something like that) and he WANTS TO BE HERE. His stock will soar with another year just like Dorsey's did last year.

Anyone know what his major is?

I've never been much of a fan of the NFL..just watch occasionally if I notice a team with a former Husker playing..

But if it was anywhere else (Not the instate Husker team I always dreamed of playing for)..The smart thing would probably be to put part of your signing bonus in a special account earmarked for education (Yours and your kids).

And gobs of insurance for possible career ending injuries..

What protection does an NCAA athlete have?

I would love to see how much more improvement Suh could show with another year with this Defense..

May even be worth double his contract.

:yeah

Didn't that adwizard McShay also say once that Carl Nicks should be a late 1st mid 2nd round pick last year. Good call for a guy that could barely move side to side.

Nicks was considered by some to be the best run-blocker in the draft. He's doing VERY well for himself out there in New Orleans. He's starting! For a 5th rounder, that's a nailed draft pick. He fell mostly, I think, because of character concerns. Didn't he get himself kicked out of Nebraska's own pro day?

Didn't that adwizard McShay also say once that Carl Nicks should be a late 1st mid 2nd round pick last year. Good call for a guy that could barely move side to side.

Nicks was considered by some to be the best run-blocker in the draft. He's doing VERY well for himself out there in New Orleans. He's starting! For a 5th rounder, that's a nailed draft pick. He fell mostly, I think, because of character concerns. Didn't he get himself kicked out of Nebraska's own pro day?

exactly.

If they are that big into education, and he wants to please them and truly wants to do the best thing for anyone (get his education !!!!....can never take that away)......... he could always work on his degree in the off-season, or after career...... If you have a chance to step right out of college and put millions of $$$ in the bank, compared to a degree, which can be attained at any time and AGE, he would be smart IMO to take the $$$ while it is there.

If he blows a knee or pulls a Herian, then he stuck with a degree, yes, but that degree, will probably never give him the financial security or advantage that he will get immediately.

Listen, I am a teacher for goodness sake, so I value education more than most, but if a kid gets a chance to put $$$ in the bank for him and his family.....go for it !!! Take a look around a college campus, a ton of "non-traditional" students (30's - 40's) and if he is only lacking a semester or so, easy to pick up..

As a football fan, obvioulsy I want him to stay, but put the goggles aside, and put yourself in his situation, and ask what would you do?

:yeah

I know I'll get crucified for this, but if he is a legitimate first rounder (i.e. that NFL find out what your worth thing-a-ma-jiggy that under classmen can do says he is) I think he should go ahead a declare himself eligible. A lot can happen in a year of football and it would be in his own best interest to get paid.

If it was me, I take the money. First rounders are guaranteed millionaires (signing bonus). You have to take that chance.

However, his parents are really big on education.

He could always pull an Emmit Smith and finish his degree in the league. Infact the NFL has programs that not only allow you to do so but also give you chances to get graduate degrees.

If he is a first rounder he should go. The collective barganing deal that is currently in place will be scrapped and if draft sloting is put in place he could actually lose alot of guarented money. Ex. He could be the 28th pick THIS year and get more than being the #3 or 4 pick NEXT year.

Serious question, not sarcastic or "attacking" anyone's post!!!!

Did Dorsey ACTUALLY help his stock by coming back his senior year. Wasn't he very highly touted as a junior and then played injured and missed a few games his senior season? I bet, as he sat there injured, he was wondering if he had made the right decision. In the long run..... a NC and a top 10 draft pick, it worked out, but what if his injury would have been a bit more severe? And, wouldn't he have gone in top 10 after his junior yr. too?

Granted, when one guy "projects" him as a 1st-rounder, he could end up being a 3rd or 4th round pick. You just never know at this point. I think he's got to try and stay on a year to turn himself into a legit top-15 candidate.

Exactly! Just because someone projects you as a first rounder doesn't mean you will be a first rounder. Every year there are "hot" picks that seem to fall much further than the "experts" had them pegged on the board.

Thank you both for pointing that out.

He will be anchoring a skilled D line that is already getting recognition.

His stock will improve quite a bit to where he is likely to be an early first rounder. ' But I would get the career insurance for a million just in case'

Or, his stock could drop. Anyone remember Jared Tomich's last season? His stock dropped because he got doubled more.

If they are that big into education, and he wants to please them and truly wants to do the best thing for anyone (get his education !!!!....can never take that away)......... he could always work on his degree in the off-season, or after career...... If you have a chance to step right out of college and put millions of $$$ in the bank, compared to a degree, which can be attained at any time and AGE, he would be smart IMO to take the $$$ while it is there.

If he blows a knee or pulls a Herian, then he stuck with a degree, yes, but that degree, will probably never give him the financial security or advantage that he will get immediately.

Listen, I am a teacher for goodness sake, so I value education more than most, but if a kid gets a chance to put $$$ in the bank for him and his family.....go for it !!! Take a look around a college campus, a ton of "non-traditional" students (30's - 40's) and if he is only lacking a semester or so, easy to pick up..

As a football fan, obvioulsy I want him to stay, but put the goggles aside, and put yourself in his situation, and ask what would you do?

:yeah Thank you! Pretty much what I was going to say. I can never get mad at a kid for taking the opprotunity to make millions of dollars. In the current economy, these type of opprotunities are VERY limited. Like every Husker fan, I really hope he sticks around, but if not I'll definitely continue to cheer for him on Sundays!

I'll add my 2 cents as well, if the reports come back from the league that state he is legit First Round material, hopefully top 20 quality, it really is in HIS best interest to come out. Just like someone else posted, Steinkulher helped Suh tremendously this year with taking on some of those double teams, that isn't guaranteed next year with Crick as the possible replacement. Unless somehow Crick morphs into a sophomore A. Carricker clone (One can hope). But Adam was very, very athletic for a big man, running with the LBs. Adam was a testament of what the Husker system is all about. Also on that list I see 3 DTs on it, one being G. McCoy from OU whom I personally think Suh is better then. McCoy is a little overrated. Heck Suh maybe the #1 DT prospect in this draft with this current list. Cody is a pure run stuffer and not nearly as athletic as Suh (How in the hell Saban pulled this kid out of juco ball for 1 semester and plugged him, sure wish some of our previous JUCO DTs came out like this). Also one point that others are missing about the DT position and the love affair the NFL has with it, quality DTs usually are drafted much higher then other highly rated players because they truly are so hard to find. DTs along with Elite Corners are premiums in the NFL. With saying that in one hand, I don't know what next years D-tackles prospects look like, Suh may come back and vault himself into top 10 material if the DT crop is weak.

Tough decision, but if Suh comes out on fire against Clemson and pulls a Vanden Bosch bowl performance like he did against Northwestern, I think he's off to the league. I know KVB was a Senior that year, but he totally and utterly destroyed Northwestern in that Alamo Bowl raising his stock to almost first round material.

I would also venture to say that if NU went bowling last year, whatever bowl, M. Lucky pulls out his entire bag of tricks in that bowl game and vaults for the league.

C. Nicks more or less dominated everyone in the Big 12 his final season. NU ran to his side a ton with BJ, and Nicks owned OU's D-End in the champ game and put on a similar performance in the Cotton Bowl. He also dominated the Mel Kiper All Star bowl game in Alabama, forgot the name. The elite all star bowl game with the majority of these players high end draftees. Tragically hanging out with M. Purify and going crazy at 1 party while getting kicked out of NU Pro Day and in trouble with the law cost Nicks literally Millions of dollars. From practically guaranteed second rounder to fifth is a huge drop of in $$$$$. He is doing very well with the Saints, starting, and they got a literal steal in that draft.