niles paul

Take it easy boys. We just won a bowl game.

I agree. What all I and others are doing is being realisitc. It's the Randy Rah Rah's trying to tell others how to act and what to post that are taking this thread in the wrong direction.

But I hear you. Good call macroboy

what makes you more realistic than others?

Becasue I'm not making excuses for him as much as I'm being honest and realistic about his performance. Others also choose to be realistic while some choose to sunshine pump. Truth be told the kid had a really bad game. Let's hope he gets his act together and plays/ produces as well as he should be.

I think the whole offense besides Castille played like dog crap. We won the game because the defense and Alex Henery bailed out the lackluster performance by not only Niles Paul, but also by most Husker fans love muffin Joey Ganz. We won the game and finished 9-4 but if we wouldn’t have had 3 really bad turnovers this game wouldn’t have been close.

Yes I know I’m not giving Clemson any credit because they don’t deserve any. They were a bad football team that we should have and could have beaten by 14-20 points.

Niles Paul had a bad game, it happens but by no means was he the only one that did. So why is he the only one that gets singled out?

For the record I love the “just being realistic” versus “sunshine pumper” real fan arguments. Those always make my day.

You do know that 2 of those turnovers were really Niles' fault, correct? The obvious one being the fumble. The other being the INT before the half when he did not come back to the ball on his route. The CB has inside leverage on that route which means it is automatic that Niles comes back for that ball, but he did not. If Niles comes back for that ball like he is supposed to, it is either a completed pass or the CB runs through him for a DPI penalty. Niles stood there waiting for the ball to come to him, the CB jumps the route and Niles is standing there flat footed.

Plus it doesn't help his cause that he was the one who missed the block that got Helu decapitated and out for the game.

As I said before, you take Niles out of the game yesterday, no one notices. You take Ganz out, we do not even put a point on the board.

Agreed on coming back for the ball, but Joe did lock onto him from the snap and made a bad decision to throw that ball, and he should have thrown it short and to Niles left shoulder on the sideline rather than leave it on his right shoulder where it was easy pickings. Put it there and the worst that happens is an incompletion, put it where he did, and we see what happened.

Did Helu get knocked out concussion or was it his knee? He carried the ball the play after that hit, and also later on in the half. My understanding is he was having issues with his knee prior to the game, not that he was knocked silly?

Oh I agree about where Ganz should have thrown it considering what Niles did. But being a QB, you almost have to expect your WR to come back on that route. It's almost the routine thing to do in that situation. It seemed like Niles didn't even see the CB either because he did not even break back to even deck the CB or anything when he should have seen him jumping the route.

Helu had both problems yesterday. He could have gutted the knee infection out, but him getting rocked is what put him out of the game. He even went back to the sideline with his helmet off holding his head later in the game.

But regardless whether he hurt his head or not, Paul has to sustain that block as to not get a teammate killed. Just imagine if he was on a KR and everyone decided not to block for him. I would guess he would be just a little more than peeved.

The other being the INT before the half when he did not come back to the ball on his route. The CB has inside leverage on that route which means it is automatic that Niles comes back for that ball, but he did not. If Niles comes back for that ball like he is supposed to, it is either a completed pass or the CB runs through him for a DPI penalty. Niles stood there waiting for the ball to come to him, the CB jumps the route and Niles is standing there flat footed.

He may not have come back to the ball however Ganz looked at him from the get go and throw a really bad pass. It was very similar to the really bad pick he had against Macho Harris or Va Tech.

As I said before, you take Niles out of the game yesterday, no one notices. You take Ganz out, we do not even put a point on the board.

I don’t know where this came from because I never once said anything remotely close to that. I pointed out that Paul wasn’t the only one that had a bad game. Ganz had his moments in the 2nd half but he had a lot more bad moments the whole game then good moments.

Oh well though we won and everything is right in the world.

The other being the INT before the half when he did not come back to the ball on his route. The CB has inside leverage on that route which means it is automatic that Niles comes back for that ball, but he did not. If Niles comes back for that ball like he is supposed to, it is either a completed pass or the CB runs through him for a DPI penalty. Niles stood there waiting for the ball to come to him, the CB jumps the route and Niles is standing there flat footed.

He may not have come back to the ball however Ganz looked at him from the get go and throw a really bad pass. It was very similar to the really bad pick he had against Macho Harris or Va Tech.

I don’t know where this came from because I never once said anything remotely close to that. I pointed out that Paul wasn’t the only one that had a bad game. Ganz had his moments in the 2nd half but he had a lot more bad moments the whole game then good moments.

It doesn't matter what it looked like and it doesn't matter if he stared him down with a pair of binoculars either. If the WR doesn't do what he is supposed to do how much fault can you put on the QB? If Niles comes back for the ball the DB has one of two choice -- A.) Run through Paul for a DPI, B.) Attempt to swat the ball down -- in either case, it is not an INT.

Just imagine a TE sitting down on a route in a zone, but a LB has leverage to the outside. The TE should slide, but he continues to sit down in his route. The QB anticipates the slide due to the LB and makes the throw. Who is at fault more? The QB for making the throw anticipating the receiver doing the right thing or the receiver himself?

Now am I saying Ganz make a good read? No. But if the WR makes the proper play on that route we are not even discussing an INT and more likely we are talking about another simple incompletion.

And no, Ganz made ONE stupid play on the speed option. It was a clear keeper and he pitched it. The only other really horrible play he made was on a 3rd down play where he missed Holt on what looked like a miscommunication. Holt sat down in a pattern and Ganz threw outside. Do not really remember the coverage so I would have to go back to look at who was at fault at that one, but I seem to remember it being Ganz's fault.

But yesterday was an example of why we needed more speed on the field. Clemson locked up our WR's with simple man coverage for the most part and had absolutely no respect or fear of them running past. They were willing to take every risk on every throw because they knew we did not have anyone on the field that would run past them. Not until the 2nd half were we willing to dink and dunk our way while McNeil stretched the vertical seams in the middle of the field.

Watson really deserves alot of credit for making some real adjustments at halftime that REALLY paid off. Great coaching on his part.

It doesn't matter what it looked like and it doesn't matter if he stared him down with a pair of binoculars either. If the WR doesn't do what he is supposed to do how much fault can you put on the QB? If Niles comes back for the ball the DB has one of two choice -- A.) Run through Paul for a DPI, B.) Attempt to swat the ball down -- in either case, it is not an INT.

Just imagine a TE sitting down on a route in a zone, but a LB has leverage to the outside. The TE should slide, but he continues to sit down in his route. The QB anticipates the slide due to the LB and makes the throw. Who is at fault more? The QB for making the throw anticipating the receiver doing the right thing or the receiver himself?

Now am I saying Ganz make a good read? No. But if the WR makes the proper play on that route we are not even discussing an INT and more likely we are talking about another simple incompletion.

And no, Ganz made ONE stupid play on the speed option. It was a clear keeper and he pitched it. The only other really horrible play he made was on a 3rd down play where he missed Holt on what looked like a miscommunication. Holt sat down in a pattern and Ganz threw outside. Do not really remember the coverage so I would have to go back to look at who was at fault at that one, but I seem to remember it being Ganz's fault.

But yesterday was an example of why we needed more speed on the field. Clemson locked up our WR's with simple man coverage for the most part and had absolutely no respect or fear of them running past. They were willing to take every risk on every throw because they knew we did not have anyone on the field that would run past them. Not until the 2nd half were we willing to dink and dunk our way while McNeil stretched the vertical seams in the middle of the field.

Watson really deserves alot of credit for making some real adjustments at halftime that REALLY paid off. Great coaching on his part.

Yep, Watson made some great adjustments. The first half reminded me far too much of the VT and MU games with the scheme. The second half things came together, the red zone execution and play calling IMO was the only exception. But Swift should have had a TD on the slant, and Ganz should have hit McNeil in the back of the end zone on another. But we put ourselves in third and long too much in the red zone by running on first and second when the short passing game was open.

Anyone that says they have never had a bad game is a liar. This kid didn't have a great game but he has come up big for us this year! His blocking has been a pleasure to watch as well as his tough catches and a few punt returns... AND he is a Husker... So I'll Stand by him.

This reminds me when my son gets in trouble - love the kid, disapprove the poor decisions. I don't have blinders like many parents (it can't be his fault). Slowly give Niles chances to earn the coaches trust next year. He can still come through when you need him, like Castille did in the Gator Bowl

Not at all, just don't think it's appropriate to disguise bashing a player as being "honest and realistic". Are you honest and realistic about the shortcomings of your own life? Do you want it posted on a message board?

I love how if someone is positive and doesn't want to bash people for making a mistake when he was just trying to win a game for his team then he must have been a Callahan supporter :clap

When a player begins to essentially pay for any of our jobs, then we can discuss this.

We as fans pour money into a program so guys like Niles can have a free education. Not only that, but travel to all parts of the country, get free gear, perks and everything else that comes with being an athlete.

Do you go to a game? Do you buy Nebraska merchandise? Do you watch on TV? If you do, then you are responsible for any of these guys having the opportunity they do.

I mean, if you do not want to be talked about, do not play. Just like when you play well, it will be good. But when you play bad, you get this as well. It's part of the territory.

But I fully expect you to come back and jump up someones rear when something good is said as well. Or are we only allowed to point out the good and never the bad? Is that how this whole being a "fan" works?

There's a vast difference between pointing out bad plays, and saying this kid sucks, pull his scholarship, and calling someone "not a fan" because they don't feel the need to be negative about someone who has more talent and ability then they could ever dream of.

Going by your theory, if and/or when you have kids, and my tax money and admission pays for his little league game I should be able to point out how much he sucks and it's okay? Should I scream from the stands and say he should be benched?

These kids for the most part are out there trying to work their butts off so drunk, washed up middle aged men can have something to cheer for. Also, somehow spending some money on a ticket or shirt gives them the right to think they are somehow entitled to be a complete prick about how a kid plays. Then they'll come on the message board and talk crap about it, when in real life if they ran into the kid they'd stutter and ask for an autograph or picture and then tell everyone about how they met him

AMEN!!!!

Anyone that says they have never had a bad game is a liar. This kid didn't have a great game but he has come up big for us this year! His blocking has been a pleasure to watch as well as his tough catches and a few punt returns... AND he is a Husker... So I'll Stand by him.

This reminds me when my son gets in trouble - love the kid, disapprove the poor decisions. I don't have blinders like many parents (it can't be his fault). Slowly give Niles chances to earn the coaches trust next year. He can still come through when you need him, like Castille did in the Gator Bowl

Trust me.. I have the same issues with my son. I think Niles will do just fine. He will get his stuff in order and have a fine career here. I have faith. And like my son, I would never turn my back on him and crush his dreams becuase of a bad decision/game. And my son is my son, and Paul is a husker... I'll stand by both. Hell we are all huskers, its a family thing. :)

:horns2:horns2:horns2:horns2

After the elation of the win went away and I started to think about game again, I am really concerned about the WR's next year. I think Khiry may be something special and I like what Holt has shown thus far, but I completely agree with you about Paul. It looked like he was the only Husker that may have partied too hard the nights before. His head was not in the game at all. You did a good job pointing out the mistakes so I won't. I just don't see another WR after Holt and maybe Cooper, who is still just a RFr. next year, that will make plays. I don't see speed with hands. I see one or the other for almost all of the WR's on the roster. I sure hope Cooper has that rare combination because it maybe difficult for whomever wins the starting QB job next year.

Speed with hands? Curenski Gilleylen. Give him more chances.

Like I said, I have yet to see it. If he has both then great! If he was that fast and had good hands though don't you think we would have seen him a whole lot more this year? We saw a lot of Holt and Paul and if Gilleylen had hands to go with his true speed I think we would have seen him on the field instead.

After the elation of the win went away and I started to think about game again, I am really concerned about the WR's next year. I think Khiry may be something special and I like what Holt has shown thus far, but I completely agree with you about Paul. It looked like he was the only Husker that may have partied too hard the nights before. His head was not in the game at all. You did a good job pointing out the mistakes so I won't. I just don't see another WR after Holt and maybe Cooper, who is still just a RFr. next year, that will make plays. I don't see speed with hands. I see one or the other for almost all of the WR's on the roster. I sure hope Cooper has that rare combination because it maybe difficult for whomever wins the starting QB job next year.

Oh, you are not alone. Swift and Peterson were not going to bust many big plays, but they caught everything thrown there way.

Meno has pretty sure hands, but I don't even think he has the ability to get open like our seniors did.

Niles has so much God given talent that he needs to work and stop assuming it's just gonna click one day for him.

Curenski just needs chances as the coaches gave up on him wayyyy too early.

I would predict Khiry to be our best WR next year, but with him playing baseball, he is going to take alot of time off that he needs to get prepared for next year timing wise.

Steven Osborne may be the biggest surprise next year. I've heard he has some seriously sticky hands.

But this shows how many questions we have going into next year at WR. And with those questions compounded with our questions at QB is a bit scary.

I'm hoping Zac Lee finally gets the 'light' to come on and takes over the QB position like he should. And I'm hoping Niles buckles down and Curenski gets the chances he should. I'm hoping for alot, but I'm still hoping. :)

seriously guys, next year may be a lot tougher than even this season was....we really didn't know what we had, until we got some coaches and now we have suddenly lost a bunch of real players....although Pelini knew it and he also preserved as many red shirts as he could and has worked hard to develop these new kids for 2009.......we shall see if that plan bears fruit, but it sure appears as a very wise decision now...let's hope these new starters can deliver........

Niles Paul stats for the year - 23 catches for 214 yds with a 9.3 yd avrg

41 kick returns for 469 yds with a 26.1 yd avrg and 1 TD ret. Keep in mind that was the only kick return for a TD this season!

Wanna take away his scholarship for ONE fumbled punt return? i dont think so, this is guy is staying and i cant wait to see how well he does next year, those stats prove he is a valuable player for his first year at Nebraska.