Witt/Fumble/Overturn/Etc.

Just wondering..

When i saw it on the replay x amount of times it looked as if his RIGHT KNEE was down before his left, then the left, then the ball, but the left and ball were really really close.. all ESPN is showing is his left knee and the ball, some saying it was a questionable call.. did I just make up about the right knee being down first? Or what did everyone else see there...?

*note this is not an ESPN hates us thread, i was wondering because i keep seeing highlights and they keep giving us props on all sides of the ball, just wondering about this play in particular.

Just wondering..

When i saw it on the replay x amount of times it looked as if his RIGHT KNEE was down before his left, then the left, then the ball, but the left and ball were really really close.. all ESPN is showing is his left knee and the ball, some saying it was a questionable call.. did I just make up about the right knee being down first? Or what did everyone else see there...?

No, you didn't make that up. I think Rece Davis mentioned that it was a great call to overturn it.

Just wondering..

No, you didn't make that up. I think Rece Davis mentioned that it was a great call to overturn it.

i heard him say that. just as i was posting that lol... but still no mention of the right knee...

on a side note.. does it hurt anyone else to hear Mark May and Lou Holtz talking about other sports?

Just wondering..

*note this is not an ESPN hates us thread, i was wondering because i keep seeing highlights and they keep giving us props on all sides of the ball, just wondering about this play in particular.

i think he was down and that was the ruling but it' definently a tough call with all the clemson guys around him

I think the right call was made on the review. If there was not evidence to overturn the call, it would not have been overturned. The clowns at ESPN are probably not even looking at the right angle of the call that was seen on national TV... They are looking for ratings, something to talk about.

I don't let anyone at ESPN's comments about Nebraska bother me. They are biased, along with the rest of the press against midwest teams unless they are in the Big 10. The Big 12 has to work harder than anyone else to get respect. If they ever build a Big 12 team up, you can bet they are looking to tear them down later in the season. Look at Oklahoma and Texas' press coverage this year from those like ESPN, Sporting News, etc. At one point they were the next thing to Jesus... When it suited them, they played up the whole "Bo" thing on Nebraska, then the closer it got to playing Clemson, it was all about how Clemson would win.

Same thing with the game with Oklahoma and Florida...listen now how it is all about how Florida is so much better than Oklahoma... Personally I hope Oklahoma goes in and dominates Florida, and shuts the pundits up. Otherwise if Oklahoma wins a close one...you will hear about someone like Alabama slipping in the back door on the final poll to win the National Championship if Ohio State also beats Texas...That is how the media affects the polls in their own way.

Another team and they don't even show this call.

"Oh Nebraska won... let's taint it and show everybody how lucky they were... we can't have them do anything on merit."

And it is pretty bad when they do it, and everyone that was from Clemson on this board never even mentioned it. <_<

Another team and they don't even show this call.

"Oh Nebraska won... let's taint it and show everybody how lucky they were... we can't have them do anything on merit."

And it is pretty bad when they do it, and everyone that was from Clemson on this board never even mentioned it. <_<

It was hard to see when the ball came loose, but the knee was probably down before it did. The play we needed to make was the TD pass Spiller dropped at the end. Any close game there are always one or two plays that would change the game. You made yours and we didn't.

I thought it was a great call....not because it went our way, but that call is what the replay system is about. They let the play go and then had the review to look it over. There is no doubt it was a tough play to review and make a call, but there was obviously enough evidence to over turn the original call. As far as ESPN goes, I really don't care what they say. For the most part, they are all idiots and have such an obvious bias against teams from the Big XII.

That play is going to haunt Witt until september. Too bad the coaches couldn't get him in for another play.

I hope not, but you could be right. As far as the actual play itself I really didn't understand what all of the fuss was about, it seemed pretty obvious - to me anyway - he was down. They had a 'freeze frame' shot of him before the ball came out and unless Witt has the ability to float 8 inches off of the field his right knee had to be down. They got it right in the end.

another thing; I don't know how many of you heard the comment made by one of the announcers (no clue which of the three geniouses came up with it) but they were talking about replay and said that because of the replay rule the officials on the field don't feel as much pressure to make the right call initially. Basically the point was the refs know they will 'fix' any blown calls in the booth so they don't have to worry all that much about getting it right on the field. I was thinking, "are you f*&%king kidding me?", that's the stupidest thing I heard all game......and with those three, that's saying alot!

One thing that I liked about it for sure...the officials let the play go, and then sorted it out after the fact. If they would have called him down, then it was a turnover, it would have cost Clemson a touchdown. The system worked in this case...but I know it isn't always the case.

I thought the officiating was pretty decent, though there was a few missed calls - including a face mask that should have been called on us on one play...officials are human, I have no problem with them missing a play now and then, as long as it isn't blatant.

Witt will have his chance to show what he has....IF he wins the starting role. That isn't a given, we have a lot of talent coming in. If I was a QB, I would be just a little nervous about getting the opportunity to start with this program - in my mind there is no given front runner at this point.