Cody Green=Tyrell Pryor?

Cody Green has the potential of being a solid QB in the next few years. It would be best for him to red-shirt next year. I don't think he will be the next Tommie Frazier but i think he can turn out to be a damn good QB who can throw the ball and step up and run it when he needs to....let him wear the #15....that would be sick...if he turns out to be good

I didn't agree with some of Pryor's decision making last night, either. I read a big breakdown of Green on ESPN's recruiting section-I know they are all full of crap 100% of the time BUT- they said he has a very awkward throwing motion and needs to work on his accuracy. They actually see him as a potential WR instead of QB. I know many here already know this analysis, but some do not.

My hope is that he plays to his potential. He seems like a real gamer, and THAT is a great quality.

Keep in mind Terrelle Pryor was the number 1 recruit overall last year. Cody Green is ranked as the #10 dual-threat QB. To expect Green to have the kind of year Pryor had as a freshman (actually kind of mediocre -- should have kept Boeckman in the mix) is asking a lot from a guy who shredded his ankle. Add to that the natural animosity (it's pretty clear most of the players on Ohio State do not like Pryor) from veteran players and he needs to sit.

Keep in mind Terrelle Pryor was the number 1 recruit overall last year. Cody Green is ranked as the #10 dual-threat QB. To expect Green to have the kind of year Pryor had as a freshman (actually kind of mediocre -- should have kept Boeckman in the mix) is asking a lot from a guy who shredded his ankle. Add to that the natural animosity (it's pretty clear most of the players on Ohio State do not like Pryor) from veteran players and he needs to sit.

How is it clear that most of the veteran Ohio State players do not like Pryor?

Cody Green also goes to high school, where you'll seen running backs rack up 10ypc+.

I don't know if that needed clarification. Yes, we all realize he is in high school, and he is playing against fellow high schoolers, of course. But does that mean you discredit stats completely? Of course not. AAAA high school football in Texas is nothing to scoff at. We're not talking about eight-man football here. There are some pretty impressive athletes on that level. And Cody's numbers are impressive for just about any level if you ask me. They are better than Pryor's (whose completion percentages were in the low to mid 50s) who played in a smaller class in PA. Now I'm not calling Green the next Vince Young of course, as I've seen way too many major recruiting busts at Nebraska (don't forget Curt Dukes!). But there's nothing wrong with being excited about him, and having good reason to believe he has the tools to be a successful D1 passer.

Of course you don't discredit stats completely, but you can't just look at the stats and say "Here! there is proof that Cody Green can throw the ball."

In HS ball, at all levels, guys get away things. I don't know if they keep O-line stats in HS, but supposing they do. The monster tackle who doesn't give up a sack and pancakes defenders left and right may just be using his sheer size/strength advantage; it doesn't mean he's a fundamentally sound blocker. The WR with the Randy Moss-type stats doesn't necessarily have great hands or is a crisp route runner, he may just be getting away with his unreal speed. In Cody's case, he benefits from the fact that it is high school and he's in a very simple offense where he can throw it to AJ Dugat and let him take care of the rest. Apparently they don't keep YAC in HS - that's too bad.

I'll agree that there's nothing wrong with being excited about him, and he does have the tools - he just isn't there now.

How is it clear that most of the veteran Ohio State players do not like Pryor?

You can see it in the way they play and interact with the guy. Boeckman was well liked and the seniors on the team felt like he got a raw deal.

Anyway, :backtotopic

Granted he might have a ways to go in the passing game, but would Watson consider playing Green in some kind of "Wild Husker" formation?

I didn't agree with some of Pryor's decision making last night, either. I read a big breakdown of Green on ESPN's recruiting section-I know they are all full of crap 100% of the time BUT- they said he has a very awkward throwing motion and needs to work on his accuracy. They actually see him as a potential WR instead of QB. I know many here already know this analysis, but some do not.

My hope is that he plays to his potential. He seems like a real gamer, and THAT is a great quality.

That's funny, because I think ESPN should go back and breakdown Pryor again, because last night it looked like he would be a better WR who can run the Wildcat O. His throwing is horrible, his technique is WAY off. Seriously, if his throwing doesn't get better(esp if "The Vests" Defense goes down a little) he may have to switch positions and give QB to someone who can throw to him. JMO.

That's funny, because I think ESPN should go back and breakdown Pryor again, because last night it looked like he would be a better WR who can run the Wildcat O. His throwing is horrible, his technique is WAY off. Seriously, if his throwing doesn't get better(esp if "The Vests" Defense goes down a little) he may have to switch positions and give QB to someone who can throw to him. JMO.

I agree with that, but he is also a true Freshman. I can't believe they didn't keep Boekman (sp?) in more. Granted, it all came down to the last drive, but it seemed towards the end of the game Pryor didn't even want to throw the ball. He's one hell of an athlete, but would need to develop as a WR or QB. He-Pryor- had a good, efficient year, but we currently throw the ball more than Ohio State. Many here are claiming they want Green to come in and start right away. I am saying I know nothing about him other than what I read...and that can lead to unjust assessments of talent. Hopefully he can get here, learn the system quickly, and contribute in any way to make our team better. He can throw to himself for all I care.

I don't know if that needed clarification. Yes, we all realize he is in high school, and he is playing against fellow high schoolers, of course. But does that mean you discredit stats completely? Of course not. AAAA high school football in Texas is nothing to scoff at. We're not talking about eight-man football here. There are some pretty impressive athletes on that level. And Cody's numbers are impressive for just about any level if you ask me. They are better than Pryor's (whose completion percentages were in the low to mid 50s) who played in a smaller class in PA. Now I'm not calling Green the next Vince Young of course, as I've seen way too many major recruiting busts at Nebraska (don't forget Curt Dukes!). But there's nothing wrong with being excited about him, and having good reason to believe he has the tools to be a successful D1 passer.

Actually, the competition Cody played against is pretty horrid. Cody's side of the 4A fence did not have teams in it like Lake Travis, Longview or Friendswood.

Cody happened to meet up with the Jacob Karam led Friendswood squad during the season and had by far his worst game of the season. He finished the game 21-46 with 2 INTs. Dayton's leading rusher finished the game with 1 rushing yard. Dayton was beaten 42-21.

And if you look at the stats from that game, you can see AJ Dugat had 7 catches for 150+ yards. But the thing is, he averaged 21+ ypc. In Dayton's offense, that is damm near impossible considering their offense is quick one read, short passing routes that relies heavily on their receivers to gain YAC. This again shows how beastly Dugat was for Dayton this past year.

You can go on to the state semis where they met up with a Kerrville Tivy team that allowed 30+ ppg on the year. A team that allows that much in the state semis?

Then the state finals where the final score was 69-49. Yes, 118 total points scored by the best two teams in the 4A D2 state finals. Not exactly glowing about the type of competition, eh?

I'll say it again, Cody CAN be a great QB, but everyone needs to temper their enthusiasm for a few years. Cody is a baby in terms of his development and he needs to be treated as such while he learns the finer points of the position.

Dang, I respect you guys for researching all of these stats and debating with eachother, I think this forum could start a national debating team lol, but you really can't tell how is going to play until he start playing football at NU. He could be the best QB ever or not even a QB who knows.

Oh yea for all you anaylsis type people look at Pryor and his passion and will to win, when i watching the game he seems like he does the minimum to succeed like running out of bounds where there was obviously another 10 yards and his throwing motion is awful so he obviously doesnt practice hard enough to improve. Knowing how NU recruits i expect Green to develop better than Pryor becuase he not only as physical attributes but also the mental.