Huskers end season unranked in AP, coaches polls

One of the only reasons I can see Iowa at #20 is because they upset Penn State.

no doubt a big win, but they struggled badly the first of the year.

uh...

wrong. :dumdum

first of the year? Iowa beat three creampuffs to a pulp to go 3-0.

week four they lost to a ranked Pitt team by one point.

Losing four games all season by a total of 12 points isn't struggling. More like crappy luck. :dunno

QB turnovers were the bulk of the problem, 3 each vs Pitt, Illinois and Mich ST., 5 vs NW, but as Stanzi started getting his shiite together, the hawks started rolling.

#33 in scoring offense 30.3 ppg.

the defense was SOLID all season.

Nationally, #5 in scoring defense and #12 in total defense.

:woo:woo

If you look at our schedule...we didn't really win against anyone that was ranked...that was what really hurt us. We didn't deserve to be ranked at this point. From here on out, if you want to win a NC, you better have a strong schedule, scheduling power teams is everything.

I like where we are...and for next season, we don't know what we have for QB yet...I like the motivation factor, maybe someone will get hungry now.

Iowa at #20 seems a little high

Iowa had a good season and opened a can of "Whup Ass" on the "Ole Ball Coach" and his SC Gamecocks. Looked to me like they ended up about right in the polls.

T_O_B

This was a very impressive victory at the same time Nebraska was "struggling" to beat a team the media probably had slotted about even with SoCa (head-to-head results not withstanding). With all the grumbling about Iowa, I'm surprised nobody wants to re-start the football series with them.

uh...

Losing four games all season by a total of 12 points isn't struggling. More like crappy luck. :dunno

QB turnovers were the bulk of the problem, 3 each vs Pitt, Illinois and Mich ST., 5 vs NW, but as Stanzi started getting his shiite together, the hawks started rolling.

ok I forgot their impressive win against ISU <_< Oh i forgot how great the Big 10 was this year, they deserve their ranking then, my bad :sarcasm not saying they should not be ranked, but I did think #20 was high and was surprised that NU did not get more votes, but damn the man anyway.

uh...

ok I forgot their impressive win against ISU <_< Oh i forgot how great the Big 10 was this year, they deserve their ranking then, my bad :sarcasm not saying they should not be ranked, but I did think #20 was high and was surprised that NU did not get more votes, but damn the man anyway.

:yeah Iowa beat SC, who was beat pretty soundly by Clemson just a month ago. I wanted the Iowa-Nebraska matchup SO BAD this year, but no dice. My father-in-law is an ISU fan, so he's supposedly an impartial judge, and he said that he watched both games, and we would have lost against the Choke-eyes. NO WAY. I think Clemson and Iowa are probably about equal - good running game, decent defense. We would have approached it the same way - shut down Greene and the O folds. Our O would have scored about the same number of points, and we would have been #24 on the polls. Iowa unranked one week and breaking the polls at 20 after a win against a sub-par opponent is a joke...

Iowa unranked one week and breaking the polls at 20 after a win against a sub-par opponent is a joke...

uh..

pay attention much?

nearly a month ago... Iowa was unranked (they were on the edge of cracking the poll) going into the bowls, they didn't update the polls until AFTER the bowls.

wasn't one week to the next, it was from the last week of regular season games until the smoke cleared from the bowl games.

I was nice to see them ranked at #20.

BTW- I too wanted a hawk/husker matchup!!

Yeah, I can see Nebraska beating a couple of those teams ranked 20 - 25. But wouldn't guarantee they beat Cal or Tulsa either.

Not a lot of argument from me on the Top 20. I hate making Texas happy, but there's something right about them being ranked above Oklahoma.

Three years ago this same Husker team makes the Top 25 based on legacy. Maybe that was unfair to some teams beneath them. Truth be told..... I'm kinda enjoying the Huskers coming into things as underdogs.

Color me happy about this Nebraska football season.

Count Big 12 blogger Tim Griffin among those surprised that Nebraska was not ranked:

I was a little surprised, but not shocked, that Nebraska didn't crack either the AP media top 25 or the USA Today coaches' poll. I don't think most of the country realizes the turnaround that Bo Pelini was able to accomplish late in the season with the Cornhuskers. At the end of the season and the bowls, they were playing as well as any team in the Big 12.

Iowa unranked one week and breaking the polls at 20 after a win against a sub-par opponent is a joke...

uh..

pay attention much?

nearly a month ago... Iowa was unranked (they were on the edge of cracking the poll) going into the bowls, they didn't update the polls until AFTER the bowls.

wasn't one week to the next, it was from the last week of regular season games until the smoke cleared from the bowl games.

I was nice to see them ranked at #20.

BTW- I too wanted a hawk/husker matchup!!

Oh sorry - I should have said "Iowa was NEVER ranked this year (preseason and regular season), and with a win against a sub-par opponent, they jump to #20". Happy?