It looks like some writers have even bolder predictions than we do!

Someone take Baby Tate back to the institution he escaped from!! I know that poll on there is only the husker fans off this board going on and voting for the home team, too...no way it looks like this...we are nothing but a bunch of homers !!

Who Will Win The BCS Title Next Year?

Ohio State

7.3%

LSU

2.4%

Southern California

10.9%

Florida

13.3%

Nebraska

52.7%

Texas

4.2%

Ga Tech

0.6%

Alabama

5.5%

Oklahoma

3.0%

Pittsburgh

0.0%

* Total votes: 165

I'm as optimistic as any Husker fan as far as how good the Huskers will be again..but come on..

We are breaking in a new starting quarterback, and the defense isn't going to astound the nation next year, we still have some growing to do defensively. We have no huge play-makers on offense outside of our running backs. I would love to see the Huskers go to the Fiesta Bowl, but I just don't see it happening.

I liked what he was saying until he got to Notre Dame winning 9 games and going to a BCS bowl. That's why I kind of tuned out.

Just voted, and even though we're up to 56.6 of the vote, I'd quite honestly be dumb-founded if we made it to the final game next year. Can't see us improving that much, this soon. Anyways, here's more input from the author, which I found interesting, that was posted further down in the replies section:

The time in the 40 and the 20–burst for Bo's 1st class was exceptional. Rather than work on recruiting strength in the line and set up the traditional 5 year program for everyone coming in, Nebraska is bringing in speed and quickness that can play right away on defense to go with the more traditional line players. This combination worked well for Bo at LSU, well enough to win the national championship.

Take a hard look at Andrew Green, a big hitter coming in to play Safety. This is a combination of speed and power that Cornhusker defensive backfields were once known for.

This fall Bo will have 2 classes of his SEC-style speed on defense to go with the returning lettermen power players in the line, a Nebraska specialty over the years. The combination of speed that can play right away, with the returning lettermen in the line, will make Nebraska superior to the Big 12 defenses. The North will be Nebraska's for the taking.

Working in the Cornhuskers' favor will be the demise of the Missouri offense due to the coordinator leaving, Kansas not advancing, and Dan Hawkins realizing that it is almost impossible to have a son play for his Dad as a starting QB at a big time program. The Buffaloes should be improved but, Nebraska will rule the day.

On offense, the graduation of the QB will not hurt the offense. Good men ready to step in since the Huskers were way too traditional anyway. Once Bo rids the team of the horrific Calahan style on offense in the type of starters he uses, you will see a return to an emphasis on the traditional running attack. Yes, they have some pro type passers but, we could see a combination of that with a QB rotation for more of the Veer-Option modifcation known popularly now as the spread.

Kinnie and Holt are big and can play. They can also block downfield, a respected quality in receivers.

To suggest that Nebraska is jumping on the bandwagon is inaccurate since the Veer was implemented by Bill Yeomans from Homer Rice's creative offenses. Yeomans and Bob Devaney were assistants under Duffy Daugherty at Michigan State in the 50's but, Yeomans could not implement it until he had his own show at Houston in the 60s. Coach Devaney always had this first hand knowledge of the option in his back pocket from his close friend and former colleague so, the Cornhuskers would just be going back to something that worked 40 years ago. Bob Devaney knew more about the veer option than anyone but Yeomans and Rice.

History shows the excellent technique of blocking the veterans of the Nebraska system display results in a fine ground game. I expect no less this season. The receivers of '08 were pedestrian on the big stage in Husker losses, an automatic upgrade with new starters. I wouldn't think that will be a problem after a few games under the belt.

I'm not a believer in returning starters. I prefer the number of returning lettermen. There can be talent sitting on the bench as a freshman that plays behind a senior. I'd rather have a good number of people that know how to play than just returning starters.

This goes back to former Bud Wilkinson disciple Darrell Royal's statement about sometimes it's not about the Xs and Os it is about the jimmies and joes. Nebraska is not at elite level with the recruiting but, the line will be fine, the scheme exceptional, and the pieces are in place for a much improved team.

Someone take Baby Tate back to the institution he escaped from!! I know that poll on there is only the husker fans off this board going on and voting for the home team, too...no way it looks like this...we are nothing but a bunch of homers !!

Who Will Win The BCS Title Next Year?

Ohio State

7.3%

LSU

2.4%

Southern California

10.9%

Florida

13.3%

Nebraska

52.7%

Texas

4.2%

Ga Tech

0.6%

Alabama

5.5%

Oklahoma

3.0%

Pittsburgh

0.0%

* Total votes: 165

:yeah

Every time I see one of these type of polls, I figure all the 8 and 10 year olds in Nebraska must be doing the voting. :lol:

GBR!!!

Our season next yr., in my opinion, solely depends on what our QB can do, if he cant pass, then we dont run, if he can pass then the running game opens up and we have a shot. I think Bo and Carl have the defense by the horns now, but even if all the good stuff happens, OU and Texas are still going to be OU and Texas. We win the North with buger gone, also Maclin leaving MU leaves the door wide open.

Just voted, and even though we're up to 56.6 of the vote, I'd quite honestly be dumb-founded if we made it to the final game next year. Can't see us improving that much, this soon. Anyways, here's more input from the author, which I found interesting, that was posted further down in the replies section:

***SNIP***

Once Bo rids the team of the horrific Calahan style on offense in the type of starters he uses, you will see a return to an emphasis on the traditional running attack. Yes, they have some pro type passers but, we could see a combination of that with a QB rotation for more of the Veer-Option modifcation known popularly now as the spread.

***SNIP***

Precisely. I think the recruiting of Green is an indication of that, coupled with the fact that Bo has continually stated he wants a strong running attack.

I think Bo is on to something here, particularly in the Big 12. Most teams run a pass-based spread - Bo looks to counter with speed on defense.

Most teams defend (okay, okay - "defend" may be a bit of a stretch for most Big 12 teams, as we have seen this bowl season) for the pass-based spread - Bo starts creating a running attack that most of those teams are not prepared or designed (either in scheme or personnel) to defend.

It's going to take a few years to get all the pieces in place, but it's going to be interesting to see it happen.

***SNIP***

Once Bo rids the team of the horrific Calahan style on offense in the type of starters he uses, you will see a return to an emphasis on the traditional running attack. Yes, they have some pro type passers but, we could see a combination of that with a QB rotation for more of the Veer-Option modifcation known popularly now as the spread.

***SNIP***

Precisely. I think the recruiting of Green is an indication of that, coupled with the fact that Bo has continually stated he wants a strong running attack.

I think Bo is on to something here, particularly in the Big 12. Most teams run a pass-based spread - Bo looks to counter with speed on defense.

Most teams defend (okay, okay - "defend" may be a bit of a stretch for most Big 12 teams, as we have seen this bowl season) for the pass-based spread - Bo starts creating a running attack that most of those teams are not prepared or designed (either in scheme or personnel) to defend.

It's going to take a few years to get all the pieces in place, but it's going to be interesting to see it happen.

Let's hope that he is holding back...

***SNIP***

***SNIP***

in all fairness, they weren't prepared to defend the offense we had this year. you don't make a top 15 offense against defenses who are prepared to stop it.

***SNIP***

***SNIP***

in all fairness, they weren't prepared to defend the offense we had this year. you don't make a top 15 offense against defenses who are prepared to stop it.

I might be talking outta my a$$ here, but...how sad is it that we had one of the top offenses while running the same 5 plays a game for the remainder after the Mizzou game? Are the big 12 defenses that bad?

It would not be too different from exactly ten years ago, with Nebraska going from 9-4 in 1998 to 12-1 in 1999 and a Fiesta Bowl in 1999. (And within a hair of another title...sigh.) The only difference is in 1997, Nebraska won the national championship, while in 2007, Nebraska went 5-7.

It would be a very impressive 3-year turnaround, to be sure. We do not have the foundation we did in 1998. We overachieved this year and we are going to lose some of the really key cogs in our machine.