Reality.......

while i disagree with them saying things like that, they always are gonna say that kinda stuff.

the one thing that i really cant stand tho, is when you say something to them about it their first response is, "well, id rather be surprised that disappointed!". thats like saying, "Yes, i would be fine with a 6-6 season!".

well, i wouldnt.

here

ive been holding off on this one for a little while, but I think its time to address this one. there are select group of posters that throughout the past year or so have consistently used their "superior grip on reality" to back why they were right, and everyone else was incorrect. This year proved that their grip on reality is not any better than anyone elses. All you have to do is go back and look at the win loss predictions..... they were WAYYYYY off. I would also like to point out I too was incorrect in my prediction, but I never made the outrageous claims. I am not asking for these people to not post, but please drop the better than thou attitude.

:boxosoap

I had us at 7-5 in the regular season before the season began and did not venture any sort of bowl guess , so predicated my prediction on 12 games rather than 13. I stated then that 6-6 was the next most possible. So, I was off by a game and hedged in the wrong direction if there were to be a deviance from my prediction. I am glad I was off by that game (wish I were off by more). The main thing in looking back that went better for NU than I thought possible (before the season started) was the heart and grit the team played with --- I thought that they would be so demoralized that they would have more problems than they did. this is testimony of how Bo and the coaches were able to get these kids heads into the game.

Each of the 4 losses that NU had I had pre-predicted and each of the wins too --- what I missed was the Kansas game, I just thought that the thrashing they took the year before would be too much to overcome. I also would not have predicted that we would have played as tough in several of the losses as we did (V-Tech in particular). So, I was pleasantly surprised.

while i disagree with them saying things like that, they always are gonna say that kinda stuff.

the one thing that i really cant stand tho, is when you say something to them about it their first response is, "well, id rather be surprised that disappointed!". thats like saying, "Yes, i would be fine with a 6-6 season!".

well, i wouldnt.

here

<_< ha! you misread things quite often.

question: would you, lilred, be fine with a 6-6 season this coming season?

i wouldnt. ;)

well, i wouldnt.

here

<_< ha! you misread things quite often.

question: would you, lilred, be fine with a 6-6 season this coming season?

i wouldnt. ;)

Wow. Go back and read what you said. "I would rather be surprised than disappointed" is in no way equivlent to "I am content with a .500 season."

That's like saying "I would rather not be shot than be shot" is the same as "I am indifferent as to whether or not I am shot."

Your logic is severly flawed. Predicting an outcome that is not favorable for oneself does not mean that that person is content with that outcome.

You miswrite things quite often! ;)

For as great of season as all of us would like to think we had, we really only beat one team that we weren't really supposed to in Kansas. We got blown out by two of the teams we were supposed to (OU and Mizzou). We played a lot closer to TT which was supposed to blow us out. I've already predicted 4 to 5 losses for 09'. It doesn't mean I'll be right.

:wtf

If we don't any of us have a grip on reality, what the hell are we doing in here? You mean nobody takes me seriously? My ego is crushed damn it! Lock my crazy a$$ in the looney bin! :blink:

I think you have to have hope, and in college football, so much changes year to year, it IS anyone's guess what a particular team will actually do that year. There are a lot of factors that play into what actually happens. Hell, if any of us knew what was going to happen and could predict it a) we damn sure wouldn't be wasting our time on this board, and B) why would they even bother playing out the season?

To come on here and call people on the carpet for their predictions is rude IMHO. This board is meant for the discussion of something that we all are passionate about - and in reality none of us know much about, but we know more than the average person does. Hell, if we knew that damn much about this team, or any other team - we would be on the friggin' coaching staff.

:restore

If I decide to drink of the :koolaid2: or not is my business. If I want to believe that my team is going to go undefeated the the beginning of the year is my right. If I want to believe that my team is going to win the NC the coming season...good for me.

At the start of the season everyone is even, everyone is undefeated. Anything can happen - especially with the parity set forth by the NCAA when they cut the number of scholarships. So don't tell me my grip on reality or anyone else's grip on reality is not up to standard. There is NO standard. Your idea of :bs: is my :woo ! Get over it!

If I want to believe that Nebraska will go undefeated this year and win every game by at least 48 points, Green will be starting QB and rush for over 3000 yards and throw for another 2000 yards, and our defense will collect over 10 sacks per game, and nobody will ever get a first down - then that would be my prediction, no matter how goofy it sounds to you. If you want to believe that we are going to be 0-11 then you have that right, too. But don't expect me to stop in my celebration to stick the finger in your face and tell you how wrong you were in your prediction. For one thing I have better things to do...

My point is, is that I just don't think you call people on the carpet for their predictions. Hell, sometimes I might think some of what you say is outlandish, or I would wish a certain topic would just go away, but this board is not created to feed only my whims and desires (though it pretty much does sometimes). If you don't agree with what someone says, you have the right to disagree instantaneously. But don't come back with your thumb where it shouldn't be later on and tell them how off they were. If your like anyone else in here, your predictions will change as the season evolves. Starting out tied for first place is a great place to be...and if I want to predict we will stay there...so be it. :)

:wtf

If we don't any of us have a grip on reality, what the hell are we doing in here? You mean nobody takes me seriously? My ego is crushed damn it! Lock my crazy a$$ in the looney bin! :blink:

I think you have to have hope, and in college football, so much changes year to year, it IS anyone's guess what a particular team will actually do that year. There are a lot of factors that play into what actually happens. Hell, if any of us knew what was going to happen and could predict it a) we damn sure wouldn't be wasting our time on this board, and B) why would they even bother playing out the season?

To come on here and call people on the carpet for their predictions is rude IMHO. This board is meant for the discussion of something that we all are passionate about - and in reality none of us know much about, but we know more than the average person does. Hell, if we knew that damn much about this team, or any other team - we would be on the friggin' coaching staff.

:restore

If I decide to drink of the :koolaid2: or not is my business. If I want to believe that my team is going to go undefeated the the beginning of the year is my right. If I want to believe that my team is going to win the NC the coming season...good for me.

At the start of the season everyone is even, everyone is undefeated. Anything can happen - especially with the parity set forth by the NCAA when they cut the number of scholarships. So don't tell me my grip on reality or anyone else's grip on reality is not up to standard. There is NO standard. Your idea of :bs: is my :woo ! Get over it!

If I want to believe that Nebraska will go undefeated this year and win every game by at least 48 points, Green will be starting QB and rush for over 3000 yards and throw for another 2000 yards, and our defense will collect over 10 sacks per game, and nobody will ever get a first down - then that would be my prediction, no matter how goofy it sounds to you. If you want to believe that we are going to be 0-11 then you have that right, too. But don't expect me to stop in my celebration to stick the finger in your face and tell you how wrong you were in your prediction. For one thing I have better things to do...

My point is, is that I just don't think you call people on the carpet for their predictions. Hell, sometimes I might think some of what a lot of you say is outlandish (but then I know we are all nuts), or I would wish a certain topic would just go away, but this board is not created to feed only my whims and desires (though it pretty much does sometimes). If you don't agree with what someone says, you have the right to disagree instantaneously as long as it is done respectfully. But don't come back with your thumb where it shouldn't be later on and tell them how off they were on a prediction made a year ago that you have the benefit of hind-sight with. If your like anyone else in here, your predictions will change as the season evolves. Starting out tied for first place is a great place to be...and if I want to predict we will stay there...so be it. :) And in the case that we did go undefeated, win the NC...I will gloat and point out the fact that I predicted it.

:yeah:yeah:yeah

Personally I do not recall many hollier than thou predicting 6-6. Most realists predicted 7-5 to 8-4. I fit that criteria. But this team took the bit and ran with it after the Missouri game. Could have been better than it ended up and I am happy about that. I expected a real beat down at Lubbock, and man was I wrong. We lost as I expected, but it sure could have been different.

Unrealistic was predicting 11-1, or going undefeated. Could happen, but if you were betting your income for the next year, those would not be the numbers you chose.

That is where I put reality. I want them to win them all. but if I was betting large sums of money, which ones would I consider wins and losses are where you put your money. It is easy to make claims with out any obligations to it.

I did not predict 8-4 to be a I told you so. It was actually where I thought we would end up during the regular season. Reading more into than that was incorrect.

Personally I do not recall many hollier than thou predicting 6-6. Most realists predicted 7-5 to 8-4. I fit that criteria. But this team took the bit and ran with it after the Missouri game. Could have been better than it ended up and I am happy about that. I expected a real beat down at Lubbock, and man was I wrong. We lost as I expected, but it sure could have been different.

Unrealistic was predicting 11-1, or going undefeated. Could happen, but if you were betting your income for the next year, those would not be the numbers you chose.

That is where I put reality. I want them to win them all. but if I was betting large sums of money, which ones would I consider wins and losses are where you put your money. It is easy to make claims with out any obligations to it.

I did not predict 8-4 to be a I told you so. It was actually where I thought we would end up during the regular season. Reading more into than that was incorrect.

Funny thing was, one stupid personal foul call and one stupid interception goes our way and we were at 11 wins last season.