Reasons why Nebraska will never be back...

HSKRNOKC

1. Steroid ban in the NCAA. Can't build dynasties now by having 70% of your players taking steroids anymore.

Considering I personally know someone who was juicing at a Division II school at the time who says both lines were, let's just say everyone was doing it and leave it at that.

Oh and if you don't think people still are....

I refuse to believe that Nebraska juiced hardcore, because there is no way that would have been kept quiet. Every single team that has had a juicer has been found out at one point or another, or they eventually will be. Just look at A-Rod..

Secondly, the Big 12 has been around for a decade. We had two coaches, one who thought the entire offense revolved around the QB and every play had to be made special for him, and another coach who was all business and really had no idea how to run a college program. If T.O. had remained as coach, I'm sure we would still be a dominant power. T.O. has always adapted his defenses and offenses to meet the times, and Nebraska once had a strong spread running/passing attack, we weren't always this strong option team under Osborne like people assume we were.

Posters like these are why I only listen to what Fro Daddy has to say, because he actually comes up with intelligent rebuttals and comments instead of just pulling crap out of his ass pretending Mizzou is greatest thing to hit college football ever. I have never though that Nebraska was the greatest and will always be the greatest, but I do believe in football programs making comebacks. OU was sh#t in the 90's, and now look where they are. Alabama was piss poor for a long time as well. Nebraska may never be what it used to be, but Nebraska will be competing for championships again some day.

I'm sure the 'roids went on, but NU was hardly the poster child for this. I remeber SI doing an article about the rappant 'roid use at OU (The Boz). Pete Fiutak, mentioned TO, NU, and the program turning a blind eye to the use. Never understood where he was getting his info. Like you said, I have a hard time believing that something like that wouldv'e been hidden from us, but the rest of the country some how got different info.

Now our offense is almost indistinguishable from what most other teams in the country are running. So we are recruiting all the same players as schools like USC, Florida, LSU and Texas. And we rarely win recruiting battles with those schools.

Can't say I agree with these statements. Our offense is the same as everybody else's! I'm sorry but I don't see a hole lot of schools using a balanced WC attack like the one run at NU. (And people, we do not run the spread!!!) It's actually pretty unique in the college game right now. Sure there are other WC offenses being run, but no two are alike. Besides if our offense was that common, I doubt we would be 11th in the nation in total offense, and more Big 12 teams would be capable of slowing us down.

As for recruiting the same type of athletes as the USCs of the world. Uh, what do you suggest not looking at anyone if they have intrest from another D1 powerhouse? That's a wonderful recruiting strategy. Speed is speed, you have to recruit it no matter where the kids are, or who else may be looking at them.

Let us all see what happens to mighty Mizzou now that the chubby QB has left. Also, there OC is gone, which leaves room for Pinkel to Pinkel-it-up again like he did prior to Booger. Third, remember how NU played against Josh Freeman who burned the Huskers for a division "rival". Mizzou's day in the sun is over. The North is now going to be NU vs. KU (provided Mangino stays around.....).

Ultimate dude is a MOCKERY on Rivals

And didn't Nebraska get chosen for a better bowl against a better opponent this year, even though Mizzou did beat us and make the Big XII championship with their best team ever. Ha, Mizzou and their fans just wishes they were Nebraska.

And we don't have Cally anymore, and our team is going to continue to play with passion and hit people. Two things that scare Missouri players/teams.

Now our offense is almost indistinguishable from what most other teams in the country are running. So we are recruiting all the same players as schools like USC, Florida, LSU and Texas. And we rarely win recruiting battles with those schools.

Can't say I agree with these statements. Our offense is the same as everybody else's! I'm sorry but I don't see a hole lot of schools using a balanced WC attack like the one run at NU. (And people, we do not run the spread!!!) It's actually pretty unique in the college game right now. Sure there are other WC offenses being run, but no two are alike. Besides if our offense was that common, I doubt we would be 11th in the nation in total offense, and more Big 12 teams would be capable of slowing us down.

As for recruiting the same type of athletes as the USCs of the world. Uh, what do you suggest not looking at anyone if they have intrest from another D1 powerhouse? That's a wonderful recruiting strategy. Speed is speed, you have to recruit it no matter where the kids are, or who else may be looking at them.

I can't agree with this either. To be technical, and imho, we run a Spest-Coast Offense with a lot of variations. Our offense definitely isn't like any other out there.

And didn't Nebraska get chosen for a better bowl against a better opponent this year, even though Mizzou did beat us and make the Big XII championship with their best team ever. Ha, Mizzou and their fans just wishes they were Nebraska.

And we don't have Cally anymore, and our team is going to continue to play with passion and hit people. Two things that scare Missouri players/teams.

In fairness to Mizzou, the reason they went to a technical "lesser" bowl was because they lost to Kansas but had the tie-breaker over us. That loss to Kansas hurt them, but so did the B12 finale against OU.

Either way, however, there is A LOT that goes into bowl pickings, far more than most people realize. Companies that run bowl games follow teams early on and then pick on a better bowl/first pick basis. These companies just don't wait till the end of the season and then pick out of a magic hat, so Missouri really had nothing to do with the fact that the Alamo Bowl chose them, it's just how things unfolded.

2. 85 scholarship limit. Can't have more than 85 kids on scholarship at a university which creates parity.

This reasoning makes no sense to. How can it be impossible to win anywhere, including NE, when parity supposedly makes it possible to everywhere?

If players can be recruited to Norman, OK or Columbia, MS, then i fail to see why it is so impossible to recruit them to Lincoln, NE. We aren't doomed, we are just waiting to find the right coach that can do it for us. Hopefully Bo is that coach.

I think maybe my point was missed. I probably did not word it very well. I'm not saying our offense is completely identical to other teams, but that our main concepts, and therefore the types of players we are recruiting, are pretty much the same. Under TO's offense, we recruited completely different types of receivers and quarterbacks in particular than most other schools. A guy like Scott Frost was essentially a failure on a mediocre Stanford team, and yet he was a beautiful fit for us, leading us to a 23-2 record and a national title. That's pretty incredible. At receiver, a guy like Matt Davison probably would not have started at most big schools, but he was a perfect fit for us. We needed guys that were willing and able to be great blockers, first and foremost. And at offensive line, we could take raw talent (often from Nebraska, even) and mold them into great run blockers. They didn't have to be great pass blocking technicians.

Today, we need the same type of QB, WR, and OL as just about everybody else. We need the QB that can make all the throws, the WR who is tall, fast and a downfield playmaker. We need great pass-blocking linemen. So we are recruiting all the same players as the powerhouses who have a big recruiting advantage over us, due mainly to location. Those who follow recruiting know that, if we are battling a team like USC for a kid, we are going to lose that battle about nine out of ten times.

I am going to have to agree with JTrain, when we go head to head with the USC's, and many of the southern schools, whose programs are on par or right now in many cases better than ours. We are goiong to come up short more often than not. I am not knocking Nebraska, I am from Lincoln born and red, (pun intended) I am just saying that has shown to be the case.

I still believe there to be more than enough talent for us to get ours and coach them up, Bo is going to motivate them no doubt! We may never have a run like the one many of us grew up watching again. But boy it was fun while it lasted. I do think we can get back in the picture on a regular basis, and will. But it isn't going to be by having the best athlete's, or offense in the country. It will be by playing hard nosed DEFENSE!!! That's why in Bo we trust!

GBR

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. But I don't share his. Defense wins championships and we will have one of the best in the nation in a few years.

I agree that defense is what mainly will bring us back as a top program -- probably not like T.O.'s final five years. But I can see us having consistent one- to three-loss seasons, like OU with Stoops. The way the Big 12 defenses have been, I can see us often having the best D in the conference. With a better than average offense, I can see us competing for the Big 12 Championship and for a BCS bowl most years. Three teams likely will be conference-championship caliber most years: OU, UT and NU. Yes, a MU, a TTU, etc., on occasion might make the top three, but those three teams I mentioned before will be the main ones. Just my gut feeling -- nothing more. :)

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. But I don't share his. Defense wins championships and we will have one of the best in the nation in a few years.

I agree that defense is what mainly will bring us back as a top program -- probably not like T.O.'s final five years. But I can see us having consistent one- to three-loss seasons, like OU with Stoops. The way the Big 12 defenses have been, I can see us often having the best D in the conference. With a better than average offense, I can see us competing for the Big 12 Championship and for a BCS bowl most years. Three teams likely will be conference-championship caliber most years: OU, UT and NU. Yes, a MU, a TTU, etc., on occasion might make the top three, but those three teams I mentioned before will be the main ones. Just my gut feeling -- nothing more. :)

Nebraska's key to success: Keep a consistently top rated defense year in and year out (I'm thinking Top 25), and then continue to recruit playmakers on offense until we get the perfect combination that will take us to a championship (like Gill, Rozier, and Fryar). There will probably be tough losses along the way, but teams with strong defenses are always in the running for a NC. We've all seen, time and again, what happens when teams care more about offensive power and less about defense..

Well, I'll give my 2 cents worth.

1 - Steroids - This is like an old wives tale. The NCAA banned steroids in 1984, began testing at bowl games in 1986. Year round testing began in 1990 and NU also does its own testing. With all that testing if there was a big problem you would know about it. Nebraska was light years ahead of everyone else with weight training and developing players. They did it with hard work. There was a reason why NU took their own weights to bowl games - even the pro facilities they sometimes used did not have enough equipment.

2. - 85 Scholarship limit. That was in effect for the 94-95 NC teams. Didn't seem to hurt them that much. Should not hurt NU as much as some due to NUs strong walkon program.

3. - Big 12 Conference - Now there is the Big 12 Champ. Game. Other than that NU plays Texas or OU once a year, just like they played OU once a year before. Other teams have improved but Nebraska's problem was they declined with 3 coaches since T.O. left. Bo should have the Huskers back to the top soon, at least winning the North fairly regularly. Oh, and the old Big 8 - 6 of the 8 teams won/shared at least one conference title even Mizzu-(they have none in the Big12), and only 6 of the Big 12 teams have a conference championship. Colorado even had a NC in the old Big 8.

Also Nebraska did not always dominate the Big 8. T.O. only had 2 shared titles in his first 8 seasons. He mentions Big 12 Champ games, But seems ignorant of the fact that the Huskers have been to 4 Big 12 Champ. games and won 2 of those. Oh and the grand total of those B12 CGs that Texas Tech, Kansas, Mizzou (teams he mentions) have won?? 0 nada none. In fact the only team that has won more B12 CGs than the Huskers is Oklahoma (6). NU and Texas are second with 2 each. The rest of the conference together has a total of 3.

4. Prop. 48 - That might hurt some, but there have been limits on that for a long time, and you still can have some.

5. Nebraska itself - Well, Lincoln Nebraska hasn't changed, so I don't see the problem there. If kids want to go to school for the night life and recreation, Nebraska will take the ones that want to play football and get an education and do ok.

6. TV - I think the number of bowl games and the amount of teams needed to fill those spots might have more of an impact than just being on TV. Nebraska has not changed location, distance for families to travel to see a home game has always been a problem.

I can't agree with this either. To be technical, and imho, we run a Spest-Coast Offense with a lot of variations. Our offense definitely isn't like any other out there.

In fairness to Mizzou, the reason they went to a technical "lesser" bowl was because they lost to Kansas but had the tie-breaker over us. That loss to Kansas hurt them, but so did the B12 finale against OU.

Either way, however, there is A LOT that goes into bowl pickings, far more than most people realize. Companies that run bowl games follow teams early on and then pick on a better bowl/first pick basis. These companies just don't wait till the end of the season and then pick out of a magic hat, so Missouri really had nothing to do with the fact that the Alamo Bowl chose them, it's just how things unfolded.

Well just one more :box, they got passed over 2 years ago for the Orange Bowl by Kansas..... :lol:

5. Nebraska itself - Well, Lincoln Nebraska hasn't changed, so I don't see the problem there. If kids want to go to school for the night life and recreation, Nebraska will take the ones that want to play football and get an education and do ok.

not to mention being a celebrity to the whole school even the whole state