QB Robert Mavre

nillie - you'll get no argument from anyone about the difference in talent between the two. The basic reason given for yanking the offer was that there was a numbers crunch. So, if there was such a numbers crunch, how do we have room for a problem-prone transfer, and not the hard working, but less talented guy?

I just don't like our image tarnished by yanking scholarships, is my point. It may have been a mistake to offer Bodtmann in the first place, but gots to take those lumps some times and learn from them.

Really? That's the reason Bodtmann's scholarship was pulled? I don't think so. I think Bodtmann's talent was the reason his scholarship was pulled. And the lack of communication between him and our coaches. When was "scholarship crunch" ever given as a reason?

To all the people holding the high ground on loyalty, etc. When did YOU have to choose where you went to school? Is it a matter of loyalty or is it a matter of what is best for you to further your career? (Jeez, how selfish of you, huh?) Were YOUR parents completely disinterested in your future, and is that how you will treat your kids? Sheesh. Give these guys a break.

Really? That's the reason Bodtmann's scholarship was pulled? I don't think so. I think Bodtmann's talent was the reason his scholarship was pulled. And the lack of communication between him and our coaches. When was "scholarship crunch" ever given as a reason?

And, FYI, there is another scholarship slot for a QB now that one has decided to transfer, certainly something that nobody saw coming. If it is not filled by Marve, it might be addressed by a JUCO for 2010 though Marve would be preferable as he would have a year to learn and could be the scout team QB for 2009.

Are there any other QBs available for transfer? Presumably all viable JUCOs for 2009 are taken.

Anyone know if walk-ons Jim Ebke or Zach Ruiz have shown anything thus far at QB?

zoogies - I only said that the "numbers crunch" was the reason GIVEN. I believe it was an attempt not to tarnish the kid. I agree that it was probably more for the reason(s) you specified. I'm really not trying to pick a fight or take any kind of high ground here, just concerned about how that situation was handled.

now, back to Marve. After a few days of thought on this, if he comes here, then it's ok with me, as long as he's kept on a short leash until he's proven to have his head on straight. He's going to have to prove himself and show that he's learned from his mistakes wherever he goes.

Are there any other QBs available for transfer? Presumably all viable JUCOs for 2009 are taken.

I think Steven Threet, the former Michigan QB, is still available. Not sure what to think about him. Didn't he already transfer once?

Matt Simms, son of Phil, announced he was transferring from Louisville. It's a toss up as to which one, Marve or Simms, would come with more baggage. Matt flipped St Peter's fans the bird in the high school state championship game in New Jersey in 2006 and was also suspended for 4 games at Louisville for violating team rules.

2009 JUCOs (slim pickings):

- Garrett Barnas lost his Syracuse scholarship with the coach change; can't find anything about him getting picked up

- Blake McAhren signed with a DII

- Brad McClellan does not appear to have been picked up though he apparently had offers from Kentucky and Middle Tenn State.

- Michael Coulter went to Stony Brook

- Bryan Mann is apparently still available.

But most of these guys don't look like DI guys which is why Marve appears to be choice #1 despite it not helping out next year.

For point of reference, Cincinnati went through 5 QBs last year. Oregon also went through 5 QBs.

sorry Carl, the second part of my post wasn't directed at you; I was just expressing surprise because I hadn't heard that as a reason given (by whom?) I thought the reason given was communication, but maybe I'm wrong.

You know, I could have sworn I heard/read about "the numbers crunch" somewhere along the lines, but failed to note exactly where I got that information. Now, through doing searches, everything I'm seeing is contrary to what I posted. I stand corrected. I'm sorry, no wonder I sounded like a maniac.

From HuskerExtra.com:

More QB chatter: Pelini was asked what level of interest the coaching staff has in Robert Marve, the quarterback who is transferring from Miami and has counted NU among the schools he is interested in.

Are the Huskers interested back?

“With Patrick leaving, it kind of leaves a hole in the class,” Pelini said. “So if it was the right guy, and the right situation, the right kid, it’d be something we’d be interested in possibly. Specifically him, I don’t know. But we’ll see how it plays out.”

:corndance Sounds like Bo did his homework and made a decision on the kid. Plus Latravis moving to QB pretty much confirms it. Say NO to Marve :clap

nillie - you'll get no argument from anyone about the difference in talent between the two. The basic reason given for yanking the offer was that there was a numbers crunch. So, if there was such a numbers crunch, how do we have room for a problem-prone transfer, and not the hard working, but less talented guy?

I just don't like our image tarnished by yanking scholarships, is my point. It may have been a mistake to offer Bodtmann in the first place, but gots to take those lumps some times and learn from them.

I'm not sure where this quote comes from ( :sarcasm ) but:

JUST WIN BABY!

Also, I think Bo is a tough enough coach that Marve will only be offered a scholarship if he fits the criteria that Bo sets forth such as being a team player and all......so, I wouldn't expect Marve to come here because of that. Also, Witt left which opened up another scholarship.

And finally, in my opinion, the deadline for signing a letter of intent is the first tuesday in February (or around there) and high school athletes can jump all over the place prior to then...so if there is something the staff finds out about the player that makes them think he doesn't belong at Nebraska....let him go. Bo appears to be a very honest individual so I imagine there's a little more to the story than Bo just pulled his offer last minute.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not saying we can't use another QB. Just stating the fact that we can make it through the season with the three that we do have. I don't think bringing in Mavre will make us any better. We have two guys that are familiar with the system who I think are going to be a better option than somebody who threw 9 TDs and 13 INTs and was benched.

I'd be willing to argue that he'd be worth the 2 or 3 year scholarship just as a scout team QB...Freeing up one more of our other two or three QB's to concentrate on OUR Offense and giving our Defense a more realistic picture of opponents' QBs..(That's a worse case scenario, and would take a special team oriented person.. to say the least).

As it is, This may be our best chance at getting a blue-chip out of Florida for now..If he succeeds, more Florida high schoolers might follow the Huskers a little more and be more inclined to want to play here.

Big picture, this may pay dividends.

I guess Nebraska is still in the running:

Miami transfer QB Marve still considering two Big 12 schools

April 7, 2009 10:21 AM

Posted by ESPN.com's Tim Griffin

Nebraska and Texas Tech still rank among the finalists for Miami quarterback Robert Marve, who is transferring from the Hurricane program.

Robert Weiner, Marve's former high school coach at Plant High School in Tampa, told Florida reporters Monday that Marve will begin making trips this weekend when he visits Purdue. Other trips he has scheduled over the next month include Texas Tech, Nebraska and Arizona State.

The Sun Devils are a new entry into the Marve sweepstakes and apparently have replaced Michigan, which recently picked up a commitment for another drop-back passer set to arrive next season.

Marve also could visit UCLA after spring practice finishes. And he still includes hometown USF among his finalists.

The St. Petersburg Times reported that USF might have the ultimate advantage for Marve's immediate playing time. If he plays with his hometown school, he could petition for an NCAA hardship waiver because of his father's medical issues.

I still think that playing for USF makes the most sense for Marve. But the fact that he's scheduled recruiting visits across the country over the next few weeks might indicate that playing close to his family isn't his major reason for the transfer.

Marve has scheduled his trip to Nebraska for the Cornhuskers' April 18 spring game.

With Patrick Witt leaving the Nebraska program, Nebraska coach Bo Pelini said he might be interested in considering what Marve could provide for his team. Marve would sit out a year as a transfer and be eligible for the 2010 season.

"With Patrick leaving, it kind of leaves a hole in the class," Pelini said. "So if it was the right guy, and the right situation, the right kid, it'd be something we'd be interested in possibly. Specifically him, I don't know. But we'll see how it plays out."

Marve passed for 1,293 yards for the Hurricanes last season, with nine touchdowns and 13 interceptions. He split time as a starter with Jacory Harris.

The season was marred by a pair of suspensions for Marve. He was kept out of the first game of the season and the Hurricanes' Emerald Bowl loss to California by Miami coach Randy Shannon.

The guy had trouble at Miami...not attending class, missing several practices. not worth the risk

Exactly. So let's count the pro's and con's here:

Pro

Con

* Two years of eligibility-after sitting out a transfer year

* Drop back, meaning slow, QB

* Not serious in the classroom

* Has been in trouble many times previously

First of all, there is nothing about our offense that prohibits drop-back style quarterbacks. Moreover, have you seen film of the guy? If he's slow, so was Joe Ganz. He's got a lot of upside as a passer and is a good athlete as well. As for the troubles that surrounded him; it clearly was not a good situation in Miami. Kid deserves a second chance rather than be labeled as a definitive troublemaker for life. Whether that's at Nebraska or not, we'll see.