QB Robert Mavre

...the quarterback’s father, former NFL linebacker Eugene Marve, told the Miami Herald that he was battling prostate cancer and therefore wanted his son to transfer to a school closer to the family in Tampa.

It was eventually decided by Miami officials that Marve could transfer, as long as it wasn’t to Florida, Tennessee, LSU or another ACC school.

OK...

I don't get it..

How can they legally even have a say where this kid goes?

It's not like they sign these kids to anything more than one-year contracts to pay for their school that they can renew at their discretion.

It's not like Miami didn't benefit a few seasons ago from a UF transfer (QB Ingle Martin?).

They want a fair shot and open competition for the QB spot. Ok, but when he doesn't win the starting QB spot, then what? Is he going to be ok with riding the pine behind Lee or Spano and then potentially Green after that? I'm willing to bet no. He's already shown a lack of commitment by bailing out on Miami after one bad year when things got bad for him there.

I say NO to this kid. Three kids at QB is plenty of bodies. Most pro teams only have three QB's on their roster for a 16 game season, I'm sure we can make it through 12.

Three kids at QB is plenty of bodies?

No! Are you kidding? Especially when two of them are freshmen and one is going to redshirt. Do you know how many players, total, pro teams have on their rosters? I guess 5-6 WRs is enough too?

Getting him up here for the spring game is going to be really big.

I'm not saying we can't use another QB. Just stating the fact that we can make it through the season with the three that we do have. I don't think bringing in Mavre will make us any better. We have two guys that are familiar with the system who I think are going to be a better option than somebody who threw 9 TDs and 13 INTs and was benched.

I agree that only 3 QBs on the current roster is a dire situation and since Mavre would have to sit out a year he doesn't aid the situation any. Taylor Martinez and Ron Kellogg Jr are going to factor in long before he ever would. The coaches may have to scour the JUCO ranks to see if there is another Zac Lee out there because bodies are needed immediately.

I agree that only 3 QBs on the current roster is a dire situation and since Mavre would have to sit out a year he doesn't aid the situation any. Taylor Martinez and Ron Kellogg Jr are going to factor in long before he ever would. The coaches may have to scour the JUCO ranks to see if there is another Zac Lee out there because bodies are needed immediately.

meh we can always put a RB/ath at qb and run option/wildcat(hog/joker)

Actually, having another body for practice and things like that is a big help. It takes some of the work and pressure off of the guys who can play. Don't forget how important that tranfer year was for a guy like Scott Frost to get up to speed. Just because a guy doesn't see the field doesn't mean that his presence won't help the team. Also, if they decide that Martinez is going to be a safety or a WR they can simply start him there and he doesn't have to waste a year at QB when he isn't going to stay there. That's what happened to Major Culbert and Leon Jackson. I think the kids are just much better off if they get put into a position and get to stay there. In that way, Marve's presence could actually help in the development of more than just him.

An open letter to Bryce Brown from Robert marve.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/blog...rn=ncaaf,148586

An Open Letter to Bryce Brown from Robert Marve

By Todd Jones

Today the part of Robert Marve will be played by guest blogger Todd Jones of Roll Bama Roll.

Dear Bryce Brown,

I'm sure that finally signing a LOI yesterday after being the only recruit still on the board some 40 days after national signing day was a tough thing to do. Suddenly your phone stops ringing, the text messages cease, the reporters and hangers-on start to leave you alone, and you're faced with the cold reality that taking visits and squeezing coaches for every promise they're willing to give is over. I know you're thinking "I belong to Tennessee now, and it's time to buckle down and make the best of it." But good news, friend, I'm here to tell you it doesn't have to be that way! Just look at me; After initially committing to Alabama and deciding Nick Saban wasn't paying me enough respect by honoring said commitment without also recruiting me again, reopening my commitment, landing at Miami, starting for a season, finishing near the bottom of a horrible ACC in both passing efficiency and average yards per game, getting suspended for the bowl game, decided to transfer, and let my dad and high school coach do my fighting for me, all while only being a four star pro-style quarterback (and only the 8th best one at that!). You're a five star super stud, Bryce! You're the #1 player in the country! Everyone wants a piece of you, and who are you to deny them? Look at me! I've got my options narrowed down to six schools who are just begging for my services, and I'm not talking about Jacksonville State and Alabama A&M, either. We're talking some heavy hitters, here! UCLA, Michigan, Purdue, Nebraska, Texas Tech, South Florida....all BCS teams, all wanting me. Imagine how much better the recruitment process will be the second time around...and not just for you, either! You can kick back, read, lift weights, and let all those coaches that didn't get a chance to marvel at your superior athletic ability get in on the fun, too! So take it from me, Bryce, your interminable recruiting process doesn't have to end with a signed LOI.

Your Friend,

Robert Marve

This should be funny...but it isn't. Probably pretty close to reality for him and the way he, and Dad, think.

An open letter to Bryce Brown from Robert marve.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/blog...rn=ncaaf,148586

An Open Letter to Bryce Brown from Robert Marve

By Todd Jones

Today the part of Robert Marve will be played by guest blogger Todd Jones of Roll Bama Roll.

Dear Bryce Brown,

I'm sure that finally signing a LOI yesterday after being the only recruit still on the board some 40 days after national signing day was a tough thing to do. Suddenly your phone stops ringing, the text messages cease, the reporters and hangers-on start to leave you alone, and you're faced with the cold reality that taking visits and squeezing coaches for every promise they're willing to give is over. I know you're thinking "I belong to Tennessee now, and it's time to buckle down and make the best of it." But good news, friend, I'm here to tell you it doesn't have to be that way! Just look at me; After initially committing to Alabama and deciding Nick Saban wasn't paying me enough respect by honoring said commitment without also recruiting me again, reopening my commitment, landing at Miami, starting for a season, finishing near the bottom of a horrible ACC in both passing efficiency and average yards per game, getting suspended for the bowl game, decided to transfer, and let my dad and high school coach do my fighting for me, all while only being a four star pro-style quarterback (and only the 8th best one at that!). You're a five star super stud, Bryce! You're the #1 player in the country! Everyone wants a piece of you, and who are you to deny them? Look at me! I've got my options narrowed down to six schools who are just begging for my services, and I'm not talking about Jacksonville State and Alabama A&M, either. We're talking some heavy hitters, here! UCLA, Michigan, Purdue, Nebraska, Texas Tech, South Florida....all BCS teams, all wanting me. Imagine how much better the recruitment process will be the second time around...and not just for you, either! You can kick back, read, lift weights, and let all those coaches that didn't get a chance to marvel at your superior athletic ability get in on the fun, too! So take it from me, Bryce, your interminable recruiting process doesn't have to end with a signed LOI.

Your Friend,

Robert Marve

This should be funny...but it isn't. Probably pretty close to reality for him and the way he, and Dad, think.

:yeah I really don't want this kid at NU at all. There are just way to many red flags here. Decommitment, daddy involvement, smashing windows in cars( what is he in middle school), 9 touchdowns- 13 interceptions.

I don't think he's looking for easy. It just didn't work out for him at Miami. And it doesn't mean he's a quitter, though I admit I don't know much about his background.

You guys know who else quit and transferred? ZAC TAYLOR.

And yes I would think we have room. We have 3 scholarship quarterbacks on the roster at the moment. One junior, one redshirt freshman, one true freshman.

I do think we are a bit of a longshot though. USF would seem to be the likely destination since he wants to stay close to home. Sounds like he is going to visit though - a plus!

I believe one of the transfer stipulations was that he could not transfer to any school in Florida, (or SEC/ACC), which seems very harsh.

I don't care about the quitting part - it happens. But he and his family were complaining about the lack of respect from Randy Shannon. That part just didn't "smell right" to me. Plus, he didn't exactly have stats that blew me away either.

Not to drudge up an old topic, but, if we have room for him, why didn't we have room for another scholarship offer that was yanked?

I'm going to jump off a cliff and say that Bodtmann and Mavre's talent level aren't comparable. Only little schools wanted Bodtmann (sorry to say) and I believe that Mavre was something like the Gatorade Florida player of the year his senior year in high school. Slightly different levels of players, may sound mean but it does make a difference.

Me: "No offense Bodtmann."

Bodtmann: "You can't just say whatever you want to because you said no offense."

Me: "Yes, I can. I said no offense!"

I also have faith that this (potential) transfer situation will (if it happens) be much different than the Keller situation. Clownahan was in love with Keller the moment their eyes locked, and I don't anticipate Bo having man-crushes on players that haven't won any games for him.