QB Robert Mavre

I'm not against this kid comming here, but did anyone else notice how his dad used " we " statements? " We want a team", " we want the competition to be open", " we don't mind rebuilding", ect....Daddy, I have news for you, you are not playing.

I don't see anything wrong with the way his dad used the word "we". As much as you may think the father may be trying to live vicariously through his son (or whatever reason you dislike the way he used the word), it may very well just indicate how close the family is. It may indicate how Robert looks to his parents for guidance and they make decisions together. I have news for you.... THAT is how a parent should be. I just think it's a little too critical to try to read things like that into what the dad says. You may be right.... you may not.

:sarcasmHere we go again...wonder if mommy and daddy (since it definitely sounds like "Dad" is managing his "career") will be holding his hand when he visits Lincoln? Will they get to sit in on team meetings, too? Just what we need, someone that thinks he should be spoiled. I hope he goes somewhere else...we don't need another Witt.

I know we are short on QB's, but the program is bigger than any one player - this guy is NOT a team player. The price of 3 scholarship years to get maybe 2 years is too high, let alone the message it sends to the players that actually CHOSE Nebraska and made a commitment from the beginning, or recruits that may be considering Nebraska now. We don't need this carpet bagger...he is just looking for the best deal for himself, he don't care anything about Nebraska, probably couldn't even spell it until he got desperate and started looking for someplace he could get some kind of guarantee (spoken or unspoken) to play - there is no loyalty what so ever. It is all about him - not being part of a winning team or an education.

I hope he goes elsewhere to do his carpet bagging. :steam He is just looking for somewhere that the coaches will kiss his a$$...maybe he didn't get the respect he thought he was due because he did stupid crap like smashing car windows? Maybe the coaches in Miami thought they were better off with someone else starting...maybe someone with more leadership qualities or talent? And wasn't that a nice move with his parents shopping him to other schools behind Miami's back (maybe there was a reason they weren't giving him the respect he and his parents thought he deserved with a swift move like that)? He couldn't be loyal at Miami - his first choice, what makes anyone think he will be a loyal player anywhere else? So what now - we are in the business of taking other peoples discard QB's? Says a lot about our recruiting, doesn't it?

QB is probably the most important position on a team - a leadership position and I don't see how this kid can give any leadership when he can't even manage his own life - as evidenced by his getting in trouble, and now having Dad doing the talking for him to the press - using words like "we" (obviously this is a package deal - we not only get the kid, but have to take the parents with him) and acting like he is the greatest thing since peanut butter and we should be kissing his a$$ to get him here. :angry: Let someone else sucker up to him.

Come on Bo, this one I totally disagree with you - pull your head out of your butt and develop OUR program, don't try building it with rejects and kids with problems that want to "start over" or go where they feel they can get the best deal. We want people at Nebraska that believe in the program we have, from signing day when they are in high school. We shouldn't be taking other schools retreads that couldn't make it there - or think they can escape their own consequences by leaving and finding anyplace that they think they can hijack a developing program - or where there hasn't been quality recruiting and has a weakness.

There are all sorts of red flags with this kid...open your eyes - beginning with the dad with the "We" statements...a guy that was recruited at Miami for a leadership position that couldn't manage his own life and got into serious trouble right off the bat, got benched, and got his feelings hurt so thought he could escape the consequences of his actions by just going somewhere else.

Mavre: if you want respect, you have to earn it, and it sounds to me like you have a long way to go before you will have the maturity it takes to QB any team in the NCAA, or to be an adult for that matter - and lose the parents...it is really a huge turn off!! Sounds like you have had too many free passes in life and been babied too long as it stands - why give you anymore? Especially at our expense. :nutz

In case I haven't made it perfectly clear...I am not for Mavre transferring to Nebraska.

Wow! I diagree with almost all of the previous post.

You know what message it sends to the players that chose to come here? You have to earn your spot!! We will continue to bring in talent regardless of who you are!!

Sometimes kids do dumb things- like break windows. They pay for it and move on. Sometimes player coach relationships don't work out. Happens all the time.

His father's use of the word "we" when referring to his son is less bizarre than a Husker fan's use of the word "we" when referring to the team.

The loyalty thing always makes me want to puke. What a sham!! It came up when Ek was interviewing at USF as well. Every coach should always look at all of their options because 1 bad season and you could be gone!! This fan base shows no loyalty to players or coaches when they lose!

Do you really think that Bo and co haven't thought about, and discussed the character issues? They must have missed all that right?

I don't care if this kid comes here or not but if we could trade Witt for Mavre I guess I'd take that.

Wow! I diagree with almost all of the previous post.

You know what message it sends to the players that chose to come here? You have to earn your spot!! We will continue to bring in talent regardless of who you are!!

Sometimes kids do dumb things- like break windows. They pay for it and move on. Sometimes player coach relationships don't work out. Happens all the time.

His father's use of the word "we" when referring to his son is less bizarre than a Husker fan's use of the word "we" when referring to the team.

The loyalty thing always makes me want to puke. What a sham!! It came up when Ek was interviewing at USF as well. Every coach should always look at all of their options because 1 bad season and you could be gone!! This fan base shows no loyalty to players or coaches when they lose!

Do you really think that Bo and co haven't thought about, and discussed the character issues? They must have missed all that right?

I don't care if this kid comes here or not but if we could trade Witt for Mavre I guess I'd take that.

Good Post.

I am all for Marve coming here, and I think if he does visit for the spring game, then he is N. We are only 3 deep at quarterback, and we need bodies. I have complete confidence in Pelini and his staff, and trust the decision to offer him a scholly. I am certain that Marve knows if he comes here, he is not going to get a hand out.

Go Big Red

:sarcasmHere we go again...wonder if mommy and daddy (since it definitely sounds like "Dad" is managing his "career") will be holding his hand when he visits Lincoln? Will they get to sit in on team meetings, too? Just what we need, someone that thinks he should be spoiled. I hope he goes somewhere else...we don't need another Witt.

I know we are short on QB's, but the program is bigger than any one player - this guy is NOT a team player. The price of 3 scholarship years to get maybe 2 years is too high, let alone the message it sends to the players that actually CHOSE Nebraska and made a commitment from the beginning, or recruits that may be considering Nebraska now. We don't need this carpet bagger...he is just looking for the best deal for himself, he don't care anything about Nebraska, probably couldn't even spell it until he got desperate and started looking for someplace he could get some kind of guarantee (spoken or unspoken) to play - there is no loyalty what so ever. It is all about him - not being part of a winning team or an education.

I hope he goes elsewhere to do his carpet bagging. :steam He is just looking for somewhere that the coaches will kiss his a$$...maybe he didn't get the respect he thought he was due because he did stupid crap like smashing car windows? Maybe the coaches in Miami thought they were better off with someone else starting...maybe someone with more leadership qualities or talent? And wasn't that a nice move with his parents shopping him to other schools behind Miami's back (maybe there was a reason they weren't giving him the respect he and his parents thought he deserved with a swift move like that)? He couldn't be loyal at Miami - his first choice, what makes anyone think he will be a loyal player anywhere else? So what now - we are in the business of taking other peoples discard QB's? Says a lot about our recruiting, doesn't it?

QB is probably the most important position on a team - a leadership position and I don't see how this kid can give any leadership when he can't even manage his own life - as evidenced by his getting in trouble, and now having Dad doing the talking for him to the press - using words like "we" (obviously this is a package deal - we not only get the kid, but have to take the parents with him) and acting like he is the greatest thing since peanut butter and we should be kissing his a$$ to get him here. :angry: Let someone else sucker up to him.

Come on Bo, this one I totally disagree with you - pull your head out of your butt and develop OUR program, don't try building it with rejects and kids with problems that want to "start over" or go where they feel they can get the best deal. We want people at Nebraska that believe in the program we have, from signing day when they are in high school. We shouldn't be taking other schools retreads that couldn't make it there - or think they can escape their own consequences by leaving and finding anyplace that they think they can hijack a developing program - or where there hasn't been quality recruiting and has a weakness.

There are all sorts of red flags with this kid...open your eyes - beginning with the dad with the "We" statements...a guy that was recruited at Miami for a leadership position that couldn't manage his own life and got into serious trouble right off the bat, got benched, and got his feelings hurt so thought he could escape the consequences of his actions by just going somewhere else.

Mavre: if you want respect, you have to earn it, and it sounds to me like you have a long way to go before you will have the maturity it takes to QB any team in the NCAA, or to be an adult for that matter - and lose the parents...it is really a huge turn off!! Sounds like you have had too many free passes in life and been babied too long as it stands - why give you anymore? Especially at our expense. :nutz

In case I haven't made it perfectly clear...I am not for Mavre transferring to Nebraska.

I agree 100%. I dont believe this to be a Zac Taylor situation. This seems very much like a Witt/Beck situation. For those who want to compare this situation to Jevan Sneed, at least he lost out to Colty McCoy. Marve lost out to Jacory Harris? Not in the same league. Even with the success that Sneed had last year, I still like to naively believe that you should pick your school based first, on the studies it provides, and second, on the extracurricluar activities.

Bottom line for me is that if this were only about playing time, I'd probably be okay with him, but throw in the exta baggage, and I just don't see how this fits what I understood to be Bo's system. This reaks of something more along the lines of what BC would've done.

One of the worst posts I have ever read.

I agree 100%. I dont believe this to be a Zac Taylor situation. This seems very much like a Witt/Beck situation. For those who want to compare this situation to Jevan Sneed, at least he lost out to Colty McCoy. Marve lost out to Jacory Harris? Not in the same league. Even with the success that Sneed had last year, I still like to naively believe that you should pick your school based first, on the studies it provides, and second, on the extracurricluar activities.

Bottom line for me is that if this were only about playing time, I'd probably be okay with him, but throw in the exta baggage, and I just don't see how this fits what I understood to be Bo's system. This reaks of something more along the lines of what BC would've done.

Need I remind everyone of the kinds of players T.O. took chances on? I don't like the DOP to the windows either and while I can say I do see that there is a possibility that this kid isn't right for our program, I also realize that the coaches must have already talked to this kid and liked what they heard and saw if they are courting him. I personally don't actually believe he will come in here and win the job. It's not always about that though. The kid is looking for a home. He has parents who are involved in his life (at the very least) and had a rough time of it in Miami. Sorry, but not fitting in with the "Hurricane Crowd" generally gets you bonus points in my book. If he can come in here, provide depth and competition, and keep his nose clean then there is absolutely no reason not to welcome him. Even a kid who makes terrible mistakes and wants to turn the corner deserves another shot, doesn't he? I'm no bleeding heart by any stretch of the imagination, but I think that some of our fans might be a bit jaded when the word "transfer" comes up since we have had a few who scorned us.

I say welcome him if he comes and teach him the Husker Way. GBR!

Need I remind everyone of the kinds of players T.O. took chances on? I don't like the DOP to the windows either and while I can say I do see that there is a possibility that this kid isn't right for our program, I also realize that the coaches must have already talked to this kid and liked what they heard and saw if they are courting him. I personally don't actually believe he will come in here and win the job. It's not always about that though. The kid is looking for a home. He has parents who are involved in his life (at the very least) and had a rough time of it in Miami. Sorry, but not fitting in with the "Hurricane Crowd" generally gets you bonus points in my book. If he can come in here, provide depth and competition, and keep his nose clean then there is absolutely no reason not to welcome him. Even a kid who makes terrible mistakes and wants to turn the corner deserves another shot, doesn't he? I'm no bleeding heart by any stretch of the imagination, but I think that some of our fans might be a bit jaded when the word "transfer" comes up since we have had a few who scorned us.

I say welcome him if he comes and teach him the Husker Way. GBR!

I would agree father5. I just can't buy the whole carpet bagger thing. I know HT you were sarcastic in your repsonse to our examples, such as Scott Frost, Troy Aikman, Zac Taylor, Jevon Snead, etc., but I think you missed the point. You are lumping those players into the same category. You can't have it both ways as hskrpwr13 would have you believe. All of those players commited to one school then transfered to another school for one reason or another. The difference between a Sam Keller and a Zac Taylor is the attitude and mind set. Zac came willing to compete for a spot and earn a leadership role. Scott Frost was the same way. If Marve decides to come to NU, time will tell what type of person he is. One thing is for certain, Bo and Co don't sugar coat anything when recruiting. You should feel confident that this is not a sugar-ladeled sell, Marve won't be able to complain about not knowing what was expected. Bo will play the best players and Marve will know that coming in. If he handles it like Zac did then he has the potential to be a great player for NU, if not then he will ride the pine and add depth.

:sarcasm I will be the guy at the spring game holding up the sign that says "Mavre" with a circle around it and a slash through it...and that would just be me being nice to this kid. :bs:

In all seriousness though, I am not for this transfer as I have said. However, IF he were to decide to come to Nebraska, I would try and take a positive outlook on it, however - I would be rooting for Spano or Green to be starting ahead of him no matter what. But if he were to start, I would throw my support behind the team...as always.

You only get so many scholarships a year, it just seems like such a waste of at least one year if not 3 years taking a risk on this kid. Can it work out - hell yeah, would it work out - anyone's guess...just as is the question with any kid that comes to Nebraska. But I do put special emphasis on the QB position - anyone that comes in to play QB has to know that everyone is watching - waiting to see if he is going to lead or not through his actions on and off the field. I am sure that Watson and Bo have talked to him (and mommy and daddy), and hopefully not led him to believe that he would be given any better shot at starting than anyone else. Hopefully they have also told him that if he were to come to Nebraska, everyone would be watching him very closely - to keep his nose clean, or he would have his precious scholarship revoked.

As far as me lumping this guy into the same category as Scott Frost, Zac Taylor, or a Troy Aikman - not quite the same situations for them. This guy fits more into the catagory of a Witt or Beck at this point in my mind. They all have some growing up to do, and their success IMHO is very doubtful as a college football player.

It sounds like he is going to most likely go to South Florida anyway...so all this will be a moot point.

I am old school. I grew up as a Husker fan, it was all I knew. That is why I give deference to anyone that decides early on that they want to play for Nebraska, and only Nebraska. I would even extend that thought to those that come to Nebraska on recruiting trips out of high school, and make the decision then that Nebraska is better than any place else and where they want to find their success. That is why we all hold walk on's in such high regard. They are making financial sacrifice to follow that dream.

I still say it wouldn't be too much to ask of him to pay his own way the first year that he has to sit out, and then if he is all that he is touted to be, the University could pay his way while he played. It is by nobodies fault but his own that he is in this situation. And with his family contacting the schools that they did behind the backs of the Miami officials and coaches, it is apparent that Nebraska was not on this kids mind before he started college, or after he even got into trouble at Miami.

I know some of you think I am taking a hard line on this one, and I am. I believe what I believe. I also want the best for the team. At this point I don't find much with Mavre that would be good as a whole for the team. I have seen or heard nothing that makes me believe that he is looking out for anyone but his own interests. The University is not a half way house, they are not responsible for rehabilitating other teams problems.

:sarcasm I will be the guy at the spring game holding up the sign that says "Mavre" with a circle around it and a slash through it...and that would just be me being nice to this kid. :bs:

In all seriousness though, I am not for this transfer as I have said. However, IF he were to decide to come to Nebraska, I would try and take a positive outlook on it, however - I would be rooting for Spano or Green to be starting ahead of him no matter what. But if he were to start, I would throw my support behind the team...as always.

You only get so many scholarships a year, it just seems like such a waste of at least one year if not 3 years taking a risk on this kid. Can it work out - hell yeah, would it work out - anyone's guess...just as is the question with any kid that comes to Nebraska. But I do put special emphasis on the QB position - anyone that comes in to play QB has to know that everyone is watching - waiting to see if he is going to lead or not through his actions on and off the field. I am sure that Watson and Bo have talked to him (and mommy and daddy), and hopefully not led him to believe that he would be given any better shot at starting than anyone else. Hopefully they have also told him that if he were to come to Nebraska, everyone would be watching him very closely - to keep his nose clean, or he would have his precious scholarship revoked.

As far as me lumping this guy into the same category as Scott Frost, Zac Taylor, or a Troy Aikman - not quite the same situations for them. This guy fits more into the catagory of a Witt or Beck at this point in my mind. They all have some growing up to do, and their success IMHO is very doubtful as a college football player.

It sounds like he is going to most likely go to South Florida anyway...so all this will be a moot point.

I am old school. I grew up as a Husker fan, it was all I knew. That is why I give deference to anyone that decides early on that they want to play for Nebraska, and only Nebraska. I would even extend that thought to those that come to Nebraska on recruiting trips out of high school, and make the decision then that Nebraska is better than any place else and where they want to find their success. That is why we all hold walk on's in such high regard. They are making financial sacrifice to follow that dream.

I still say it wouldn't be too much to ask of him to pay his own way the first year that he has to sit out, and then if he is all that he is touted to be, the University could pay his way while he played. It is by nobodies fault but his own that he is in this situation. And with his family contacting the schools that they did behind the backs of the Miami officials and coaches, it is apparent that Nebraska was not on this kids mind before he started college, or after he even got into trouble at Miami.

I know some of you think I am taking a hard line on this one, and I am. I believe what I believe. I also want the best for the team. At this point I don't find much with Mavre that would be good as a whole for the team. I have seen or heard nothing that makes me believe that he is looking out for anyone but his own interests. The University is not a half way house, they are not responsible for rehabilitating other teams problems.

A tad less edgeiness to this post but still quite a bit of disdain for a kid the (forgive me if I'm wrong here) you haven't talked to and you don't know. Hard line? That's a bit of an understatement.

A tad less edgeiness to this post but still quite a bit of disdain for a kid the (forgive me if I'm wrong here) you haven't talked to and you don't know. Hard line? That's a bit of an understatement.

:lol: That is because he lets his Daddy do all the talking...can't fault me for that one. I can only go by what I have read in the press...and most of it hasn't been too good.

:lol: That is because he lets his Daddy do all the talking...can't fault me for that one. I can only go by what I have read in the press...and most of it hasn't been too good.

Still...

It amazes me how passionate some of the opinions about this kid are expressed here with only a superficial understanding of all (any?) of the the parameters..

Even me..I'm guessing the kid declined comment to any reporters..(Who would naturally go to him first)..They then went to Dad, who probably didn't get to hear any of the clinics put on by the UM coaching staff about how to not answer reporters' questions..

If only Mom and Dad had said, "No Comment!" like Jr. did...

Sometimes, coaches continue to recruit for positions that they're pretty sure are already spoken for..Maybe as an insurance policy (Injury)..Maybe just to provide competition to make their "wonder boy" that much better..My "unpassionate" guess is this kid just figured it out soon enough to get out and try with a new team he might get a fair chance at.

I once broke some windows just for the cool sound. :bang