Mendoza a WR & Toailoa a OL

Well I sure didn't mean that he won't be or hasn't shown great promise as a DT, just that I would have thought he (Baker) would be a better prospect on the OL than Toailoa. Of course like I said before the coaches have seen them both play, and I'm sure they have weighed the pro's and con's of who to move. I will say that a ultra disruptive DT/NG probably has a bigger impact on the game drawing double teams and freeing up oppertunities for the other guys to get free. That is only an oppinion of course, along with the defensive mind calling the shots I guess it shouldn't surprise me much at all after considering all that. I know they see the big picture much more clearly than I.

GBR

I think this is a sign that the coaches really feel confident about their options with Crick, Moore and Baker at DT. I also think they are forward looking also, the O-Line depth for 2011 and on is a little thin. They need to bring in 4-5 players in the 2010 class or find someone else to help build depth, Toaila may help fill that need.

Well, Nebraska brings in 4 or 5 O-linemen in the 2009 class (and has already signed the #2 OG in Andrew Rodriguez out of Aurora High). But all of those guys will likely redshirt so as you said Toailoa is needed for depth in the fall.

I think Toaila will help this fall for sure, but I think the longer term affects may be more important. The line has good depth for 2009 and 2010 but, and there was an article on BRN that discussed this Big Red Network - Offensive line a top priority for 2010 Recruiting Class, maybe the staff will have bring in 4-5 O-Lineman in the 2010 recruiting class. Looking at the roster there are maybe 8 good bets to contribute in 2010:

C - 58 Mike Caputo, 6-1, 275, RSo., Omaha, Neb.

RT - 78 Marcel Jones, 6-7, 310, RSo., Phoenix, Ariz.

The 4 incoming players from the 2009 class:

Nick Ash OL 6-5 261 5.3 Keller, TX

Jesse Coffey OL 6-7 290 5.3 Denton, TX

Brent Qvale OL 6-7 335 5.1 Williston, ND

Jeremiah Sirles OL 6-6 280 5 Lakewood, CO

Not including the 4 recruits in the 2009 class, I only found 1 other scholarship player on the roster:

79 Thompson, Brandon S OL 6-6 295 RFr. The Woodlands, Texas

The article mentions that we might see big things out of this walk on:

59 Thorson, Brian OL 6-3 280 So. Omaha, Neb. (Millard North)

Since 9-10 players fill out a 2 deep for the O-line, the team will be short a few players. Factoring in that almost all O-Lineman need to RS a year for development, 2010 is the last class that may affect the 2011 line. On top of all that you have to account for attrition and players that just don't pan out. That is why despite the scholly crunch we may see a good number of O-Linemen taken in this class and why Toaila may be a huge help if he has good skills on the Offensive side of the ball.

Does Toalia's move reflect burkes' illness?

They must think we are deeper on the DL than the OL. Therefore, we must be in need on the OL.

maybe we are planning on redshirting most of the incoming class. Also, the coaches just said we were going to try Toalia out there, not that he would stay there or that it would be best for him there. Sounds more like an experiment than a permanent thing.

I think Toaila will help this fall for sure, but I think the longer term affects may be more important. The line has good depth for 2009 and 2010 but, and there was an article on BRN that discussed this Big Red Network - Offensive line a top priority for 2010 Recruiting Class, maybe the staff will have bring in 4-5 O-Lineman in the 2010 recruiting class. Looking at the roster there are maybe 8 good bets to contribute in 2010:

I assume you mean 2011? Burkes, Williams, DJ Jones, Henry, Barrett those guys are all here for 2010. It'll be a big "graduating" class so that will put a lot of pressure on depth in 2011.

Since 9-10 players fill out a 2 deep for the O-line, the team will be short a few players. Factoring in that almost all O-Lineman need to RS a year for development, 2010 is the last class that may affect the 2011 line. On top of all that you have to account for attrition and players that just don't pan out. That is why despite the scholly crunch we may see a good number of O-Linemen taken in this class and why Toaila may be a huge help if he has good skills on the Offensive side of the ball.

We should probably take 3-4 OL every class and in 2008 we only had 2 as Baker switched sides and Henry came in as a JUCO so moving Toailoa helps even out that class. In 2009 we took 4 plus a possible C in Pensick. So far in 2010 we have 1 signed and have offered only 8 others including at least 1 JUCO. (As contrast 14+ QB offers, 14+ WR offers, 14+ DE offers so far; more than 20 OL offers last year.)

I'd guess they'll try to get 3-4 OL for 2009 including a JUCO. There'll need to be JUCOs in future years to even out the classes as having 5 guys graduate every couple of years makes things difficult.

I assume you mean 2011? Burkes, Williams, DJ Jones, Henry, Barrett those guys are all here for 2010. It'll be a big "graduating" class so that will put a lot of pressure on depth in 2011.

We should probably take 3-4 OL every class and in 2008 we only had 2 as Baker switched sides and Henry came in as a JUCO so moving Toailoa helps even out that class. In 2009 we took 4 plus a possible C in Pensick. So far in 2010 we have 1 signed and have offered only 8 others including at least 1 JUCO. (As contrast 14+ QB offers, 14+ WR offers, 14+ DE offers so far; more than 20 OL offers last year.)

I'd guess they'll try to get 3-4 OL for 2009 including a JUCO. There'll need to be JUCOs in future years to even out the classes as having 5 guys graduate every couple of years makes things difficult.

Yep meant 2011 sorry, there will be a bigger hole to fill that year. The class of 2010 will most likely be the last chance to fill up that shortage, which is why I think 4-5 vs. 3-4 normally taken. Although as you point out, a JUCO or 2 in 2010 and/or 2011 could also help fill the spots for 2011. If Toaila doesn't stick on the Oline, then that hurts even more.