raw talent and tempered expectations

http://nebraska.statepaper.com/vnews/displ...T/49df6727e70f2

Another great article by Sam McKewon.

"And let me be blunt: Nebraska’s opening five games in 2009 look a lot like those opening five in 2002. Three winnable home games mixed in with two difficult road games at Virginia Tech and Missouri. Zac Lee, not unlike Jammal Lord, will be tested, and Watson and head coach Bo Pelini have high standards. It’s Lee’s job to lose - don’t doubt that - but the quarterback competition more or less renews when the season begins and Lee faces live bullets. To Lee’s credit, he knows it and practices like it.

But two terrific comeback wins over Colorado and Clemson to end 2008 gave some NU fans a false sense of security entering 2009. Alex Henery saved the Huskers’ hides in one game, while Bo Pelini and Co. badly outcoached Dabo Swinney’s bunch in the second half of the other. The presumption that Nebraska’s offense – or defense, for that matter – will waltz into next fall without skipping a beat doesn’t match up with what we’ve seen and heard this spring.

NU is talented, but raw. Gifted, but inexperienced. Lee is going to be counted on to rescue drives the way Joe Ganz did, and that’ll be a tall order for a kid who doesn’t get to spend the first month and a half playing home games. And Kody Spano, savvy as he may be, has a “Stuntz” look about his play thus far. Not bad. But not Cody Green."

This is a short little scrimmage, of course, and these are the humble beginnings of Nebraska’s first potential franchise quarterback since Curt Dukes in 2002.

Ouch. That one will leave a mark.

Sure will. Although there were many who thought Harrison Beck qualified as such. I think expectations are a bit more tempered for Green. Maybe that is just optimism on my part...

Bo already knows his D will need to keep us in the tough games, while Lee and the O get their "game on". how quickly they mature will determine the amount of success we achieve in '09. this team will undoubtedly suffer some set backs, like last year, they just need to keep getting better as the season progresses. IF they do that, they can be contenders in 2010. unfortunately, there will likely be some growing pains this year, maybe more than we would normally expect.

This is a short little scrimmage, of course, and these are the humble beginnings of Nebraska’s first potential franchise quarterback since Curt Dukes in 2002.

Ouch. That one will leave a mark.

Sure will. Although there were many who thought Harrison Beck qualified as such. I think expectations are a bit more tempered for Green. Maybe that is just optimism on my part...

I wouldn't disagree with that. I think Nebraska fans are realizing that unless they perform well, we shouldn't get too hyped up. Too many situations the last half decade where potential great players bottomed out on us.

And Kody Spano, savvy as he may be, has a “Stuntz” look about his play thus far. Not bad. But not Cody Green."

Why did Sam have to slap the "One Hit Stuntzer" tag on Spano so early? Now that seems like the real kick in the pants :nutz

As for expectations being tempered for Cody Green!?! There are at least six threads on this board alone that speak to the contrary! Green is already carrying more hype with him than Dukes ever did. I just hope he's mature enough to handle it.

And Kody Spano, savvy as he may be, has a “Stuntz” look about his play thus far. Not bad. But not Cody Green."

As for expectations being tempered for Cody Green!?! There are at least six threads on this board alone that speak to the contrary! Green is already carrying more hype with him than Dukes ever did. I just hope he's mature enough to handle it.

I don't know. I've fought the Green hype in many threads here already. It seems the "Green will start his freshman year" crowd has quieted some. Maybe not.

I don't know. I've fought the Green hype in many threads here already. It seems the "Green will start his freshman year" crowd has quieted some. Maybe not.

I am one that is on the Green bandwagon, however, I really believe that they need to redshirt him and then the next season look at possibly starting him...unless Spano steps up and really shows something (which would be great). My being on his bandwagon only comes from the video that I have seen of him from HS, and the limited video that has made it out of spring practice. The kid has a canon. I also think he is tough, and would be a great spread option QB if they decided to take him that way.

I want the best we got playing...bottom line. But I do like what I have seen of Green. I haven't had the time to really look at Spano...but haven't heard anything negative about him either. As it stand now, until Bo changes anything, I expect Lee to start this year, barring any injury. Who knows what next season will bring. But it is back to being fun again... :clap

I am one that is on the Green bandwagon, however, I really believe that they need to redshirt him and then the next season look at possibly starting him...unless Spano steps up and really shows something (which would be great).

Zac Lee is only a JR this year so he'll be here next season. If Lee is the starter this year, which looks likely right now, he'll almost certainly be the guy next year - barring injury, of course.

I am one that is on the Green bandwagon, however, I really believe that they need to redshirt him and then the next season look at possibly starting him...unless Spano steps up and really shows something (which would be great).

Zac Lee is only a JR this year so he'll be here next season. If Lee is the starter this year, which looks likely right now, he'll almost certainly be the guy next year - barring injury, of course.

Very true...unless he is beat out. I have to admit though that it seems like he has been in the shadows forever, and I do forget that he is only a Jr. sometimes.

There is a part of me that would like to see us get someone that is good enough to take the job of QB as a Sophmore, or even as a redshirt Freshman (would have to really be someone special I realize to do that) and keep the job for 3 or even 4 years like McCoy did in Texas. Seems like every year we have a QB that has to "learn" starting with game one and grow through the season, and by the end of the season he is finally getting comfortable, just to graduate and have someone else have to do the same thing the following season.

I could be very wrong, but IMO Bo's philoiphy won't be overly QB reliant. This team is being built on a defense first mentallity like the Balimore Ravens or Tampa Bay. Watson has shown (mostly at CU) a propensity to put his QB's in a "game manager" role, as opposed to a Spurrier or Leach like gun slinger role. This allows the QB to develope without carrying the team on his shoulders. This is much the way TO used to conduct affairs as well. When he had a outstanding QB, he let them do their thing (Frazier, Gill, Taylor etc.) but the team could get by with average QB's and still win (Gadowski, Joseph etc.)

I could be very wrong, but IMO Bo's philoiphy won't be overly QB reliant. This team is being built on a defense first mentallity like the Balimore Ravens or Tampa Bay. Watson has shown (mostly at CU) a propensity to put his QB's in a "game manager" role, as opposed to a Spurrier or Leach like gun slinger role. This allows the QB to develope without carrying the team on his shoulders. This is much the way TO used to conduct affairs as well. When he had a outstanding QB, he let them do their thing (Frazier, Gill, Taylor etc.) but the team could get by with average QB's and still win (Gadowski, Joseph etc.)

:yeah