Year 2 MNC! Can the Huskers do it?

OU did it, OSU did it and so did Florida! NU had a 9-4 record, which was better than these schools in year one. All three did it with great defense and special teams and effective offenses, although different. Can a mobile QB, depth in the line and TE and RBs and depth at WR add up to a productive offense that doesn't kill the hopefully opportunistic defense? Depth and conditioning was the weakness in year one at OU, but the 2000 team was day and night compared to Stoop's first team. I think it can happen, and a VICTORY at Va Tech could be the vault!

It seems to me that teams have windows of oppotunity, when pieces fall into place. Schedules, personnel and opponant strenth all line up. IMHO this would have been the case had NU stayed the corse in 2005. I see the stars aligning for 2010.

1> QB Lee a sr with experience and 2-3 relible backups

2 >2 stud sr running backs and 2-3 reliable backups

3> WR this is the area in greatest need of a real breakthrough but with

2 years in, think we'll see some of these young guys come through

4> TE we are going to be very strong here and Watson knows how to use

these guys

5> Oline tons of senior experience, depth and time in system

6> Defense=Pellini Brothers, nuff said.

OU did it, OSU did it and so did Florida! NU had a 9-4 record, which was better than these schools in year one. All three did it with great defense and special teams and effective offenses, although different. Can a mobile QB, depth in the line and TE and RBs and depth at WR add up to a productive offense that doesn't kill the hopefully opportunistic defense? Depth and conditioning was the weakness in year one at OU, but the 2000 team was day and night compared to Stoop's first team. I think it can happen, and a VICTORY at Va Tech could be the vault!

Did OU, OSU, or Florida have new starting QB's in those years?

It seems to me that teams have windows of oppotunity, when pieces fall into place. Schedules, personnel and opponant strenth all line up. IMHO this would have been the case had NU stayed the corse in 2005. I see the stars aligning for 2010.

1> QB Lee a sr with experience and 2-3 relible backups

2 >2 stud sr running backs and 2-3 reliable backups

3> WR this is the area in greatest need of a real breakthrough but with

2 years in, think we'll see some of these young guys come through

4> TE we are going to be very strong here and Watson knows how to use

these guys

5> Oline tons of senior experience, depth and time in system

6> Defense=Pellini Brothers, nuff said.

Pelini's decision to roll the dice and redshirt all those players last year is going to begin paying dividends this year.......I look for very good things this year, but in 2010 the rest of the country had better watch out.

:corndance

No, but the Miami Hurricanes, if I recall correctly, won all of their national titles in the 80's with first year starters at QB.

:box

Now to the point of the thread, can the Husker win the '09 national champioship? Yes, no and maybe.

Here's why the Huskers could win it all in '09:

* The defense should be in the top 20 overall.

* The offense will take a slight step back from last year but should still be very productive.

* The attitude, confidence and belief in themselves is there.

* The Huskers get Oklahoma and Texas Tech in Lincoln.

Here's why the Huskers won't win it all in '09:

* They'd have to beat TT and OU during the season and then play one of those teams, or Texas, for the Big 12 title-just to get to the NC.

* Rarely do all of those funny little bounces of the ball go a certain team's way.

* The schedule is just too tough.

* There are too many question marks: DT-who will step up and help out Suh, WR-can Paul, Brooks, Holt, Henery, etc finally step up?

Here's why the Huskers could maybe win it all in '09:

* Maybe this is the year where those quicky bounces, calls by the refs, etc go our way.

* Maybe the WR's: Paul, Brooks, Holt, Henery, etc step up and have awesome years.

* If the WR's do that then that'll greatly help out our TE's.

* Maybe Steinkuhler and Crick demonstrate there's no drop-off from Suh at the DT spot.

* Maybe Zach Lee could actually be better than Joe Ganz.

:wacko:

:dumdum

I'd have to say in terms of ability Lee looks like he could be better. But, he doesn't neccessarily have to be if he has the weapons around him. IMHO Lee, and this team, still need a year to develop. That said, ya never know how that funny shaped ball is gonna bounce.

I'd have to argue for what another poster said. I think winning a MNC in year 2 has a lot to do with pieces falling in the right place. If we could have kept a lot of our starters from last year, it would have been more likely, but we have a lot of unproven guys at key positions.

We would also need some serious help, and I mean serious help. Help in the form of USC and Florida losing enough games to the point of where they can't get in, because both of those schools would trounce us.

I think it is possible, it all starts with is Lee going to be able to manage the offense. Remember Ganz wasn't a tommie frazier he just could really manage his offense and knew the ins and outs. If Lee can manage his offense and gain the trust Ganz had of his teammates and coaches we could be in track. Lets just hope the stars align.

OU had a 2nd year JUCO, Krinzel was a 1st year starter that nearly lost his job and Leak split time with a true freshman and was asked to run options and he was not a dual threat QB. All the QBs were new to the systems, Lee has been in this offense for YEARS! OU won in 2000 with a bunch of freshmen and sophmores!