Callahan's Legacy

...You cannot deny Callahan as a quality offensive mind though . You can go back to look at all his statistics in his time here to see that.

And no, his biggest problem wasn't that he didn't scrimmage in pads. Although it did breed some sissies, his biggest problem was that he was simply too loyal. Callahan actually had a chance to stay our coach for at least one more season if he had a coaching overhaul and he refused because he wanted to be loyal to his friends. In the end, it cost him his job...

Cosgrove wasn't horrible scheme wise. His base scheme worked as long as you had disciplined, hard nosed players willing to stick their nose in to take on blocks so that someone else could make the play. However, he had players like Bo Ruud and Corey McKeon who refused to do this. Couple that with guys like Octavien, Asante, Thenarse, 'Dre Jones, among others who honestly had little grasp of the system and you had a disaster. Instead of adjusting, he stuck by it.

His defense worked when he had animals like Ola, Cryer, Carriker and Moore eating up blocks everywhere, as his scheme enjoys, but once they were gone, he tanked.

Cos was only good while he had players that fit his scheme. As far as teaching them to fit his scheme or having assistants to teach his players to fit his scheme, he was horrid. Same goes for even attempting to adjust.

And not really. Pelini has the same mindset as Callahan did. Pelini has no say so in the offense. Callahan had no say so in his defense. Pelini spends the majority of his time working with the defense. Callahan spent the majority of his time with the offense.

The difference in these two situations is that Watson is an offensive genius and Cosgrove was just a clown.

Could you imagine Cosgrove changing his defense the way Watson has changed this offense? I mean, how many teams do you see that essentially run the WCO out of the gun? That is what Watson has installed here.

Sometimes I wonder if Cosgrove could lead our team through tackling drills, much less run a defense.

John Blake was overrated. He got lucky having talents like Carriker, Moore, Turner, etc., on his line while he was here. He left as they was leaving.

But he basically mailed in his final season here which is why he was gone before the bowl game.

And remember Carriker's comments when Buddy Wyatt came aboard? I'm not going to quote him, but Carriker stated he had learned more in just a few weeks under Wyatt than he had in his entire time at Nebraska.

Blake was a great recruiter, when motivated. Offered little else though.

I'm almost positive Carriker made those comments after his first or second week with the Rams training camp..

Callahan as a quality offensive mind ?

Watson is an offensive genius ?

It's amazing how many times that "genius" title is thrown around when it comes to Nebraska Football.

Did Callahan even add anything to Walsh's playbook? I was under the impression he just kept the old WCO playbook and shuffled the pages once or twice.

Watson does seem to show a much better ability to adapt than we got used to with Cally/or Coz, but I doubt we'll see rules changes designed to stop us like we did with those crazy plays Dr. Tom "borrowed" from watching obscure Highschool recruiting tapes. (Fumbleroosky, Bounceroosky..Red Menace)

Taken from a Book I've just about finished reading..Tom was thinking Uwe Von Schamann, the OU Kicker from Germany? wasn't very tough (based on watching some film? or just seeing him warm up)...So he assigned one of our LB's on the Receiving team to just Level him after he keecked off...The rest of the game. he just dove to the ground and curled up in the fetal position after he kicked.

The next season, the NCAA put in a rule to help protect the kickers..I think it was you had to give them 5 yards or something.

With Cally's Offense, and even Watson's a little..We just can't seem to get those "pesky short yardage situation third down when it really counts" yards...At least not consistently

I also think Cally was a little more "loyal" to Coz out of guilt.

He pretty-much stockpiled the talent on the Offensive side of the ball, and only left the Defense as an afterthought..I also suspect Coz didn't really try all that hard after the threats to his family and neither expected to be here for the full term of their contracts.

Yards is Yards, but I still feel there's a little more quality to Rushing Yards..Mainly because it eats clock and wears out your opponent..And keeps your Defense on the sidelines jawing with the crowd.

"Air Coryell" could get you yards..just not that many Championships.

...You cannot deny Callahan as a quality offensive mind though . You can go back to look at all his statistics in his time here to see that.

And no, his biggest problem wasn't that he didn't scrimmage in pads. Although it did breed some sissies, his biggest problem was that he was simply too loyal. Callahan actually had a chance to stay our coach for at least one more season if he had a coaching overhaul and he refused because he wanted to be loyal to his friends. In the end, it cost him his job...

Cosgrove wasn't horrible scheme wise. His base scheme worked as long as you had disciplined, hard nosed players willing to stick their nose in to take on blocks so that someone else could make the play. However, he had players like Bo Ruud and Corey McKeon who refused to do this. Couple that with guys like Octavien, Asante, Thenarse, 'Dre Jones, among others who honestly had little grasp of the system and you had a disaster. Instead of adjusting, he stuck by it.

His defense worked when he had animals like Ola, Cryer, Carriker and Moore eating up blocks everywhere, as his scheme enjoys, but once they were gone, he tanked.

Cos was only good while he had players that fit his scheme. As far as teaching them to fit his scheme or having assistants to teach his players to fit his scheme, he was horrid. Same goes for even attempting to adjust.

And not really. Pelini has the same mindset as Callahan did. Pelini has no say so in the offense. Callahan had no say so in his defense. Pelini spends the majority of his time working with the defense. Callahan spent the majority of his time with the offense.

The difference in these two situations is that Watson is an offensive genius and Cosgrove was just a clown.

Could you imagine Cosgrove changing his defense the way Watson has changed this offense? I mean, how many teams do you see that essentially run the WCO out of the gun? That is what Watson has installed here.

Sometimes I wonder if Cosgrove could lead our team through tackling drills, much less run a defense.

John Blake was overrated. He got lucky having talents like Carriker, Moore, Turner, etc., on his line while he was here. He left as they was leaving.

But he basically mailed in his final season here which is why he was gone before the bowl game.

And remember Carriker's comments when Buddy Wyatt came aboard? I'm not going to quote him, but Carriker stated he had learned more in just a few weeks under Wyatt than he had in his entire time at Nebraska.

Blake was a great recruiter, when motivated. Offered little else though.

I'm almost positive Carriker made those comments after his first or second week with the Rams training camp..

It's amazing how many times that "genius" title is thrown around when it comes to Nebraska Football.

Did Callahan even add anything to Walsh's playbook? I was under the impression he just kept the old WCO playbook and shuffled the pages once or twice.

Watson does seem to show a much better ability to adapt than we got used to with Cally/or Coz, but I doubt we'll see rules changes designed to stop us like we did with those crazy plays Dr. Tom "borrowed" from watching obscure Highschool recruiting tapes. (Fumbleroosky, Bounceroosky..Red Menace)

Taken from a Book I've just about finished reading..Tom was thinking Uwe Von Schamann, the OU Kicker from Germany? wasn't very tough (based on watching some film? or just seeing him warm up)...So he assigned one of our LB's on the Receiving team to just Level him after he keecked off...The rest of the game. he just dove to the ground and curled up in the fetal position after he kicked.

The next season, the NCAA put in a rule to help protect the kickers..I think it was you had to give them 5 yards or something.

With Cally's Offense, and even Watson's a little..We just can't seem to get those "pesky short yardage situation third down when it really counts" yards...At least not consistently

He pretty-much stockpiled the talent on the Offensive side of the ball, and only left the Defense as an afterthought..I also suspect Coz didn't really try all that hard after the threats to his family and neither expected to be here for the full term of their contracts.

Yards is Yards, but I still feel there's a little more quality to Rushing Yards..Mainly because it eats clock and wears out your opponent..And keeps your Defense on the sidelines jawing with the crowd.

I didn't mean to imply Cally COULDN'T recruit...Just that he was not that good (or successful) at it.

There's no way of telling, but I doubt a third of those guys would be dradted with the guys that recruited them still coaching them up.

I would be interested in exactly who else recruited the players you mentioned.

I also believe if he were given another 10 years, his recruiting classes would've been almost as good as Solich's

True..he did some good things..Made public trips to the Hospital (and maybe some private ones, too) to visit sick people...Continued with the emphasis on classwork by the players...Called some Sooners :effin' something-or-others..(sorry..I sorta liked that).

But he seemed Hell-bent on changing things that didn't really need to be changed..Like getting rid of longtime support staff..probably because they were thinking bad thoughts..like "That's not the way T.O. or Frankie did it"...

Ok I agree with you on questioning whether or not these players would be NFL worthy if Callahan was still the coach, but you are using the arguement that because Callahan and Co had a bad track record at developing players that they were bad recruiters. That is still seperate from having the talent to achieve that illustrious status of a NFL draftee. Fact is that Callahan brought in good to very good talent, but he failed to ensure they got developed.

You ask who was after these players, meh that would take too long to compile. That is why took the quicker approach in pulling out 4 or 5 Star players.

amen.

It is time to move on and quit blaming anyone and everyone for our past problems. Look to the future and be happy with what we have and where we seem to be headed.

Not good having this much resentment. The problem has been rectified. Talk about he positives, you will feel better and we have a lot to be very happy with.

Yeah.. Rooting out someone to Blame is not normally something I revel in..My instincts are more toward the finding out what went wrong and trying to find ways to correct it or prevent it from happening again.

I used to hate studying History..Too much emphasis was placed on memorizing dates or names..But later, you learn that it's important to understand WHY certain things occur so you don't have to repeat the bad things.

Part of it (for me) is hoping someone will be able to convince me Cally wasn't all bad..Maybe the Cancer research he's doing will help my opinion of him.

But...

Does anyone else wonder if ATM, Notre Dame, and Mechiken are currently going through Callihanazation/Cosgrovians of their own?

Michigan..not so much. Rich Rod had proven results at his previous coaching job, he just came into Michigan and completely revamped almost everything they were trying to do. Michigan has a better chance of actually being good at some point with Rich Rod, imho.

Now, ATM and Notre Dame on the other hand, have 2 guys that made their name in the NFL and had little to no impact in the college game. They end up treating it more like a business then they do a sport that, at this point, is really only played for a couple of reasons: the love the game, passion for school, getting an education, and eventually making the pro's for those who are talented enough. The NFL is a business focused in monetary terms, and they are run two separate ways.

:rant

TMI, I know. Basically I think Michigan will get better before ND or ATM ever do.

amen.

It is time to move on and quit blaming anyone and everyone for our past problems. Look to the future and be happy with what we have and where we seem to be headed.

Not good having this much resentment. The problem has been rectified. Talk about he positives, you will feel better and we have a lot to be very happy with.

Yeah.. Rooting out someone to Blame is not normally something I revel in..My instincts are more toward the finding out what went wrong and trying to find ways to correct it or prevent it from happening again.

I used to hate studying History..Too much emphasis was placed on memorizing dates or names..But later, you learn that it's important to understand WHY certain things occur so you don't have to repeat the bad things.

Part of it (for me) is hoping someone will be able to convince me Cally wasn't all bad..Maybe the Cancer research he's doing will help my opinion of him.

But...

Does anyone else wonder if ATM, Notre Dame, and Mechiken are currently going through Callihanazation/Cosgrovians of their own?

Michigan..not so much. Rich Rod had proven results at his previous coaching job, he just came into Michigan and completely revamped almost everything they were trying to do. Michigan has a better chance of actually being good at some point with Rich Rod, imho.

Now, ATM and Notre Dame on the other hand, have 2 guys that made their name in the NFL and had little to no impact in the college game. They end up treating it more like a business then they do a sport that, at this point, is really only played for a couple of reasons: the love the game, passion for school, getting an education, and eventually making the pro's for those who are talented enough. The NFL is a business focused in monetary terms, and they are run two separate ways.

:rant

TMI, I know. Basically I think Michigan will get better before ND or ATM ever do.

I would agree with that. aTm has shown a few signs of life this spring and last fall, but I think Sherman will end up with a Callahan-type career. If Weiss doesn't get it done this year at ND I'd imagine he is gone. And I agree that Rich Rod will probably do alright at Michigan IF they give him the time.

No, Carriker said that about Wyatt during bowl practices leading up to the Cotton Bowl.

Callahan is a quality offensive mind. He has a proven track record of that wherever he goes, college AND the NFL.

Actually, yes. Callahan's offense was severely more complex than almost any WCO offense you will find which is why so many people struggled to pick the thing up. His offense was like the WCO version of Al Saunders' offense.

You can list 3 names that will tell you how Callahan helped make minimally talented QBs look better than they truly were ..

Rich Gannon - NFL MVP

Zac Taylor - B12 OPOY

Joe Ganz - Golden Child

Watson's offense is less complex, relies very rarely on motion and is now ran out of the gun. People see us as moving to the spread, which is a complete fabrication. While we do run the zone read, our passing scheme is nothing more than a less complex WCO, just out of the gun.

For example, the Clemson game. Clemson was eating our lunch with their cover 2 scheme, but Watson made the proper halftime adjustments. One in particular example was earlier in the 4th quarter we were pinned deep in our own territory. Watson comes out strong left with Peterson isolated to the right. Ganz is in the gun with Castille to his right. Clemson's LBs of course shift to our overloaded left. Peterson runs a slant while Castille goes into the flats. The safety is of course playing off in the cover 2 so the CB is isolated. Does he stay with Peterson or go with Castille? The CB froze, Ganz rifled one into Peterson and the chains kept moving.

Watson is a genius and innovative simply because of how he uses his current offense. No one realizes it, but our offense is completely unique and something that no other college program runs. And Watson is to thank for that.

Cally didn't stockpile talent on offense. If anything, we always had average talent on offense. Taylor, Ganz, Peterson, Swift and heck, we could barely recruit TEs here. We see the talent we had on defense, it was never coached up.

No, Carriker said that about Wyatt during bowl practices leading up to the Cotton Bowl.

Callahan is a quality offensive mind. He has a proven track record of that wherever he goes, college AND the NFL.

Actually, yes. Callahan's offense was severely more complex than almost any WCO offense you will find which is why so many people struggled to pick the thing up. His offense was like the WCO version of Al Saunders' offense.

You can list 3 names that will tell you how Callahan helped make minimally talented QBs look better than they truly were ..

Rich Gannon - NFL MVP

Zac Taylor - B12 OPOY

Joe Ganz - Golden Child

Watson's offense is less complex, relies very rarely on motion and is now ran out of the gun. People see us as moving to the spread, which is a complete fabrication. While we do run the zone read, our passing scheme is nothing more than a less complex WCO, just out of the gun.

For example, the Clemson game. Clemson was eating our lunch with their cover 2 scheme, but Watson made the proper halftime adjustments. One in particular example was earlier in the 4th quarter we were pinned deep in our own territory. Watson comes out strong left with Peterson isolated to the right. Ganz is in the gun with Castille to his right. Clemson's LBs of course shift to our overloaded left. Peterson runs a slant while Castille goes into the flats. The safety is of course playing off in the cover 2 so the CB is isolated. Does he stay with Peterson or go with Castille? The CB froze, Ganz rifled one into Peterson and the chains kept moving.

Watson is a genius and innovative simply because of how he uses his current offense. No one realizes it, but our offense is completely unique and something that no other college program runs. And Watson is to thank for that.

Cally didn't stockpile talent on offense. If anything, we always had average talent on offense. Taylor, Ganz, Peterson, Swift and heck, we could barely recruit TEs here. We see the talent we had on defense, it was never coached up.

Rich Gannon - NFL MVP

Zac Taylor - B12 OPOY

Joe Ganz - Golden Child

:yeah Callies motions and the complex O really through some defenses off and I loved that about it.

Rich Gannon - NFL MVP

Zac Taylor - B12 OPOY

Joe Ganz - Golden Child

Outstanding post. Thank you. :clap

:yeah Callies motions and the complex O really through some defenses off and I loved that about it.

If only the number of times that it threw defenses off was greater than the number of times it through our offense off. How many times during his coaching career were we penalized for illegal shifts, or some other penalty because we had 5 guys all running around in the backfield? I'm sure it did some good some of the time, but most of the time, I was :bang watching our offense get penalized.

Callahan's legacy simple:

27 Wins, 22 losses

I don't care what recruits did or didn't pan out, or who transfered, or what a great offensive mind he was.

The bottom line he didn't win.

Callahan was 0-10 against teams ranked higher than 20th, 0-17 in games in which he trailed at halftime, 15-18 against the Big 12, and coached the program to its only losing seasons in 45 years.

27 Wins, 22 losses

I don't care what recruits did or didn't pan out, or who transfered, or what a great offensive mind he was.

Callahan was 0-10 against teams ranked higher than 20th, 0-17 in games in which he trailed at halftime, 15-18 against the Big 12, and coached the program to its only losing seasons in 45 years.

I think that more or less sums it up.

27 Wins, 22 losses

I think that more or less sums it up.

:yeah