ATH Harold Mobley

Im guessing he runs closer to a 4.7 than a 4.5....if he could run a 4.5 at that size he would have A LOT more offers..not bashing the kid at all...just saying i think his numbers are a little skewed.

I was wondering the same thing. With his measurables, I think he'd be a stout LB. We could add more depth at that position for the future. Assuming he has to go the JUCO route, I'd like to see him N eventually. I'm sure Bo could make good use of him somewhere.

Im guessing he runs closer to a 4.7 than a 4.5....if he could run a 4.5 at that size he would have A LOT more offers..not bashing the kid at all...just saying i think his numbers are a little skewed.

I was wondering the same thing. With his measurables, I think he'd be a stout LB. We could add more depth at that position for the future. Assuming he has to go the JUCO route, I'd like to see him N eventually. I'm sure Bo could make good use of him somewhere.

That would be one tall LB! Doesn't mean it wouldn't work of course. Just might look funny.

That would be one tall LB! Doesn't mean it wouldn't work of course. Just might look funny.

Not really. LaTravis Washington came in at LB and he's the same size as Mobley.

Bo and Carl were at Mobley's school yesterday. This is from a very reliable source. I haven't heard the details but with Mitchell as a recruit, I am sure they had to discuss the whole issue with his commitment. (Mobley)

They made some other stops in So. Cal and I felt like a (stocker) but just curious what the status is here with Mobley.

This recruit is not the type that you can place at Fort Scott. I don't want to go into details but that is what I am hearing.

Bo and Carl were at Mobley's school yesterday. This is from a very reliable source. I haven't heard the details but with Mitchell as a recruit, I am sure they had to discuss the whole issue with his commitment. (Mobley)

They made some other stops in So. Cal and I felt like a (stocker) but just curious what the status is here with Mobley.

This recruit is not the type that you can place at Fort Scott. I don't want to go into details but that is what I am hearing.

I don't know much about the Mobley situation, but generally speaking, if a prospect has academic issues, then really the only choice they have is JUCO.

I don't know much about the Mobley situation, but generally speaking, if a prospect has academic issues, then really the only choice they have is JUCO.

I think a JUCO in So Cal is more the direction that this will go. It takes financial resources to relocate to Fort Scott so I think if he is going that route he can stay in So Cal for two years.

I am sure more will come out on this in the next couple weeks.

I never said that nobody that tall has ever played LB or that it couldn't work (actually, I specifically said it could work). But the fact remains that 6'4" is tall for your typical LB.

I think a JUCO in So Cal is more the direction that this will go. It takes financial resources to relocate to Fort Scott so I think if he is going that route he can stay in So Cal for two years.

I see what you're saying. I agree that it'd be easier for him to attend JUCO in his own state to save $$. Either way, I'm sure the coaches are on top of this situation and will handle it accordingly.

I never said that nobody that tall has ever played LB or that it couldn't work (actually, I specifically said it could work). But the fact remains that 6'4" is tall for your typical LB.

I wasn't implying that you were wrong. Sorry if you took it that way.

I've always thought height had little to do with the LB position. It's more of a finesse and athletic type of position.

JUCO's do offer scholarships like D-I schools.

The awarding of financial assistance and recruiting is not as competitive as in the NCAA but the standard is still high. To be in the running for scholarship offers you need to actively market yourself and put your profile into the hands of the people that count, the SPORTS COACHES. They are not going to approach you, you need to be proactive and let the coaches know who you are and and what you have to offer their sporting program.

This is true, unless the coaches at JUCO know you from the past, they will not know you even exist. Walking on at JUCO is not really an option, it is basically getting an invite to the dance gets you in, no invite and you stand outside looking in.

As a high school football player you are probably very good, maybe the best at your school, well here is a news flash. Unless you are in the top 5%, or elite category, don't expect college coaches to knock on your door.

If you want to be recruited, especially at junior college level, you have to make it happen. You have to contact the football coaches and let them know who you are and what you have to offer their college football program.

NJCAA football is a division 1 only sport. Many NCAA scholarship players are ex JUCO players.

The NJCAA allows 85 football scholarships per school. There are 70 colleges that grant football scholarships.

So I was actually kinda meh on the '05 class until an article was posted here not too long ago analyzing it. At the time Crabtree who called it the #1 class noted if we got 10 starters out of it it'd be a resounding success. We got more.

I mean with 31 guys, how many of them can actually be expected to contribute? Sure we had high profile busts but we also had unreal success out of a guy like Zac Taylor (so we did get a QB out of that class and a darn good one), a #1 back for most of 3 years in Lucky, Ndamukong Suh, etc. If that class was a bust, no class isn't. With huge classes you get guys that are just bodies. Unavoidable unless we make the game 15 v 15. But the foundation it laid, everything it gave us - I am darn glad we got that class. Maybe it didn't give us a MNC like we hoped. But without it, I shudder to think where we'd be.

We had nothing at OL when BC came in. When he left we had plenty and so much more on the way. The drawers were stocked. Don't forget this is year 2 of Bo, and the cream of what BC left us are playing in the NFL or out for medical/other reasons. Freshmen OL from Bo's first class, completely invisible. I think that's why we were counting on freshman depth for this year. I saw your post you are talking about and we did have this disc. before. I feel though that all told, 2 years later and new OL are only beginning to be counted for on depth, that is hardly too surprising.

that is one of many dumb statements crabtree has made. someone has to start games. as to that standard, i see 11 starters: turner, suh, octavien (two seasons), taylor (two seasons), glenn (starter for one season), lucky, potter, congdon (two seasons), bowman (basically one season), hickman and dillard (basically one and a half seasons).

so, of the 11 starters we got out of 31 players, six gave us two years or less of significant contributions. i love what the guys that stuck around from that class gave to our program, but to consider that a "great" class just isn't accurate. it is an acceptable class (and a far cry from the parade of stars it was billed to be).

also, cally did not leave "plenty" up front. he continually failed to recruit enough quality high school OL and left us SIX quality linemen (an amazingly low number out of four classes that made up the roster), and two of them were seniors!

i'll agree that he had a great group of OL verbals, but that seemed to be falling apart on its own accord. the meltdown that was the 2007 season had kids looking elsewhere long before we pulled the plug on cally.

i will also agree though that one of major failures of the solich years was letting the pipeline slip up front.

I meant to respond to this earlier. Sorry for floating off topic again.

First, it's true that somebody has to start and it isn't a reflection of how good they are. But we've seen these guys take us through seasons of 8-4, 9-5, a collapsing 5-7, 9-4, and the last remnants, 10-4, through what amounts to 2 periods of tumult and transition. It's hard to look at any recruiting class and expect, these are going to be some of the best players to ever come through here. In that aspect, I don't think measuring a class by the starters it produces is unreasonable. You expect that class to be the foundation of what you do in the future, and it was.

Just so I don't sound totally unbalanced, I think the environment and most of the coaching, after the change to Bo's staff, was especially beneficial to these guys. So part of it was how coaching maximizes the talent. But the bottom line is, attrition is an unavoidable part of football period. Just pointing to attrition doesn't mean too much, because we still got a lot out of that class. Yeah, so Harrison Beck and Leon Jackson left (for example). But did we not get a records-shattering All-Big 12 QB out of that class? A dynamic RB who started much of 3 years and ended high on the total all purpose yards list? etc.

Finally, I still believe that Callahan left plenty up front. You look at our 2-deep the past few years (fine, last year), you will see it just being full of BC's guys. This year we didn't have much of a 2-deep but last year, we did. You mention the number wasn't a lot. Well, I mean, numbers thin out at times and it is just unavoidable. You look at recruiting at different positions - for example, this year, we're having to load up on D-line. That doesn't mean the D-line is a bare cupboard, far from it. It's just time to load up on that position.

Same with BC's O-line. We had a core group of starters and a core group of guys coming up underneath them - in '07 and '08 we kept hearing about how we had 9 or 10 guys on the 2-deep being able to play. It was a deep group. And it was also a group where guys were getting to be upperclassmen, and it was time to welcome in the next wave of guys to that line. Which BC was doing with that phenomenal OL class he was putting together that year, mostly freshman OL.

We suffered attrition that year, but I don't think it was a matter of losing. I think the tumult had far more to do with it. Recruits seem to be OK with prestigious programs going through rough years (see Notre Dame), they'll just come in and be part of the change. I mean, the 2005 class was pulled in on the heels of a 5-6 season. The thing that did that year's recruiting in was the complete meltdown we saw out of the team, the intense and vicious backlash from the fanbase, the AD switch, and the all-too-seemingly inevitable feeling from the start that BC was being run out of town.

But enough about that :) Any official word re: Mobley and a JUCO?

• 2 weeks later...