ATH Harold Mobley

well to me it doesn't sound like were allowing his commitment.. especially with the commitment of kenny bell coming up. its too bad we have to offer guys like jake cotton...

:facepalm: Really? You think Jake Cotton is the reason the staff MAY not take his commitment? It is about numbers by position. If the staff sees Harold as a TE or DE prospect like everyone thinks, then NU is full. Chase Harper at TE and a multitude of DE prospects have already given verbals. This has nothing to do with Jake.

maybe im not understanding your point. but to me, your helping my point. if we don't offer a scholarship to Jake Cotton, who is a DE prospect, we have a scholarship open for Harold Mobley, a TE/DE prospect. how does my comment not make sense? i'm saying if we left a spot open at DE rather than give it away to a kid that probably walks on anyways, Mobley is ours. he's a good prospect and a team outside the top 25 in recruiting should not be passing up on him.

Cotton will probably outgrow DE, he had a ridiculous growth-spurt. I can see him filling-out to the 300lbs mark. I think he'll be a DT or OT in the end.

:yeah Cotton is listed as a DE prospect right now on Rivals, but I think the coaches don't expect him to stay there. If anything Cotton is considered more of an Athlete with a position to be found based on how he develops IMO. Ashburn, Vestal, and Okuyemi took the DE spots and Harper took the TE spot. Mobley POSSIBLY not getting a spot is because NU got VERY good prospects to fill out those spots, Cotton's spot doesn't play in this.

well to me it doesn't sound like were allowing his commitment.. especially with the commitment of kenny bell coming up. its too bad we have to offer guys like jake cotton...

:facepalm: Really? You think Jake Cotton is the reason the staff MAY not take his commitment? It is about numbers by position. If the staff sees Harold as a TE or DE prospect like everyone thinks, then NU is full. Chase Harper at TE and a multitude of DE prospects have already given verbals. This has nothing to do with Jake.

maybe im not understanding your point. but to me, your helping my point. if we don't offer a scholarship to Jake Cotton, who is a DE prospect, we have a scholarship open for Harold Mobley, a TE/DE prospect. how does my comment not make sense? i'm saying if we left a spot open at DE rather than give it away to a kid that probably walks on anyways, Mobley is ours. he's a good prospect and a team outside the top 25 in recruiting should not be passing up on him.

Outside the top 25 in star ranking? Really? You need to be looking at the team average of stars, not the total number. NU has a small class, 3-8 players smaller then most teams this year. NU is currently 16th I think in average star ranking at 3.22 per player.

It is quality that this staff wants, not quantity, like the last staff tried to do, when they signed the "number 1" class in 2005, they had 31 kids or something like that.

I saw something on another board that indicated that Bell took Mobley's spot. Mobley decided to go to NU, but didn't tell the Husker Coaches before Bell committed. Not sure what to make of all this now. Some say sign and place, some say he wants to commit but the Coaches won't accept him now, and some think he is committed and will be in Husker Red.

Outside the top 25 in star ranking? Really? You need to be looking at the team average of stars, not the total number. NU has a small class, 3-8 players smaller then most teams this year. NU is currently 16th I think in average star ranking at 3.22 per player.

It is quality that this staff wants, not quantity, like the last staff tried to do, when they signed the "number 1" class in 2005, they had 31 kids or something like that.

:yeah

It's a numbers game every year. We knew from the start of the year that the 2010 class would be a relatively small one, though it's even bigger than we expected. It's all about quality. Plus, I trust this staff's evaluation abilities over Rivals' or Scout's any day.

It's a numbers game every year. We knew from the start of the year that the 2010 class would be a relatively small one, though it's even bigger than we expected. It's all about quality. Plus, I trust this staff's evaluation abilities over Rivals' or Scout's any day.

Maybe Burkes is a result of the Mobley issue.

Maybe Burkes is a result of the Mobley issue.

From what I've read, the coaches have been expecting this Burkes news for a while now.

I just want to make a note that you cannot fault the last staff for signing 31 recruits in 2005 and going for quantity.

First, there were a lot of guys in the 4/5 star category that year.

Second, we just needed a lot of guys. Some years we just do. Bo's first recruiting class, was a pretty large one as well. This year as someone said, the numbers game worked out that we only could get a smaller class. That's not some philosophical quality v quantity call the staff has made, that's just the reality of changing recruiting dynamics year-to-year.

Finally, what the previous staff inherited as a talent base, especially considering the change of offensive scheme they were laying down, made a lot of things necessary. The lack of talent along the O-line, which Callahan stocked up in his time here handsomely...QBs for the WCO...JUCOs to plug up gaps. Those were all necessary and that 2005 class turned out to be a great one for us. It gave us a lot of starters and a lot of fine players, although we like to focus more on the spectacular busts.

But that is kinda tangential to this point and t he realities we are facing with this class...

I just want to make a note that you cannot fault the last staff for signing 31 recruits in 2005 and going for quantity.

First, there were a lot of guys in the 4/5 star category that year.

Second, we just needed a lot of guys. Some years we just do. Bo's first recruiting class, was a pretty large one as well. This year as someone said, the numbers game worked out that we only could get a smaller class. That's not some philosophical quality v quantity call the staff has made, that's just the reality of changing recruiting dynamics year-to-year.

Finally, what the previous staff inherited as a talent base, especially considering the change of offensive scheme they were laying down, made a lot of things necessary. The lack of talent along the O-line, which Callahan stocked up in his time here handsomely...QBs for the WCO...JUCOs to plug up gaps. Those were all necessary and that 2005 class turned out to be a great one for us. It gave us a lot of starters and a lot of fine players, although we like to focus more on the spectacular busts.

But that is kinda tangential to this point and t he realities we are facing with this class...

i would say that failing to stock up on quality high school OL was actually one of cally's biggest recruiting failures. there's a reason we were counting on freshmen for depth this year (until they were injured, leaving us with practically zero depth behind our injured starters). i've posted an analysis of this a couple of times and can do so again if you haven't seen it.

i also have a hard time characterizing that 2005 class as great. great on paper at the time maybe. it definitely provided a couple of great players (suh and taylor) and a fair number of good ones, but seems to have an inordinately high percentage of busts. about a dozen out of 31 turned into quality players, which isn't too bad until you factor in how many of those dozen were jucos and/or only contributed for one season or as back-ups. the ridiculous development of suh and the light coming on for dillard this season really saved this class from being a straight bust in my eyes, but i still can't consider it "great".

So I was actually kinda meh on the '05 class until an article was posted here not too long ago analyzing it. At the time Crabtree who called it the #1 class noted if we got 10 starters out of it it'd be a resounding success. We got more.

I mean with 31 guys, how many of them can actually be expected to contribute? Sure we had high profile busts but we also had unreal success out of a guy like Zac Taylor (so we did get a QB out of that class and a darn good one), a #1 back for most of 3 years in Lucky, Ndamukong Suh, etc. If that class was a bust, no class isn't. With huge classes you get guys that are just bodies. Unavoidable unless we make the game 15 v 15. But the foundation it laid, everything it gave us - I am darn glad we got that class. Maybe it didn't give us a MNC like we hoped. But without it, I shudder to think where we'd be.

We had nothing at OL when BC came in. When he left we had plenty and so much more on the way. The drawers were stocked. Don't forget this is year 2 of Bo, and the cream of what BC left us are playing in the NFL or out for medical/other reasons. Or starting/backing up our line. Freshmen OL from Bo's first class that he got there at the end, completely invisible. I think that's why we were counting on freshman depth for this year. I saw your post you are talking about and we did have this disc. before. I feel though that all told, 2 years later and new OL are only beginning to be counted for on depth, that is hardly too surprising.

i know were obviously a top 25 recruiting team but my point was unless you are USC or Texas, turning down this kind of player is never good. i understand his position is filled. i guess i'm just angry that a very good prospect is turned down. i understand the reasons though

So I was actually kinda meh on the '05 class until an article was posted here not too long ago analyzing it. At the time Crabtree who called it the #1 class noted if we got 10 starters out of it it'd be a resounding success. We got more.

I mean with 31 guys, how many of them can actually be expected to contribute? Sure we had high profile busts but we also had unreal success out of a guy like Zac Taylor (so we did get a QB out of that class and a darn good one), a #1 back for most of 3 years in Lucky, Ndamukong Suh, etc. If that class was a bust, no class isn't. With huge classes you get guys that are just bodies. Unavoidable unless we make the game 15 v 15. But the foundation it laid, everything it gave us - I am darn glad we got that class. Maybe it didn't give us a MNC like we hoped. But without it, I shudder to think where we'd be.

We had nothing at OL when BC came in. When he left we had plenty and so much more on the way. The drawers were stocked. Don't forget this is year 2 of Bo, and the cream of what BC left us are playing in the NFL or out for medical/other reasons. Freshmen OL from Bo's first class, completely invisible. I think that's why we were counting on freshman depth for this year. I saw your post you are talking about and we did have this disc. before. I feel though that all told, 2 years later and new OL are only beginning to be counted for on depth, that is hardly too surprising.

that is one of many dumb statements crabtree has made. someone has to start games. as to that standard, i see 11 starters: turner, suh, octavien (two seasons), taylor (two seasons), glenn (starter for one season), lucky, potter, congdon (two seasons), bowman (basically one season), hickman and dillard (basically one and a half seasons).

so, of the 11 starters we got out of 31 players, six gave us two years or less of significant contributions. i love what the guys that stuck around from that class gave to our program, but to consider that a "great" class just isn't accurate. it is an acceptable class (and a far cry from the parade of stars it was billed to be).

also, cally did not leave "plenty" up front. he continually failed to recruit enough quality high school OL and left us SIX quality linemen (an amazingly low number out of four classes that made up the roster), and two of them were seniors!

i'll agree that he had a great group of OL verbals, but that seemed to be falling apart on its own accord. the meltdown that was the 2007 season had kids looking elsewhere long before we pulled the plug on cally.

i will also agree though that one of major failures of the solich years was letting the pipeline slip up front.

We had nothing at OL when BC came in. When he left we had plenty and so much more on the way. The drawers were stocked. Don't forget this is year 2 of Bo, and the cream of what BC left us are playing in the NFL or out for medical/other reasons. Freshmen OL from Bo's first class, completely invisible. I think that's why we were counting on freshman depth for this year. I saw your post you are talking about and we did have this disc. before. I feel though that all told, 2 years later and new OL are only beginning to be counted for on depth, that is hardly too surprising.

that is one of many dumb statements crabtree has made. someone has to start games. as to that standard, i see 11 starters: turner, suh, octavien (two seasons), taylor (two seasons), glenn (starter for one season), lucky, potter, congdon (two seasons), bowman (basically one season), hickman and dillard (basically one and a half seasons).

so, of the 11 starters we got out of 31 players, six gave us two years or less of significant contributions. i love what the guys that stuck around from that class gave to our program, but to consider that a "great" class just isn't accurate. it is an acceptable class (and a far cry from the parade of stars it was billed to be).

also, cally did not leave "plenty" up front. he continually failed to recruit enough quality high school OL and left us SIX quality linemen (an amazingly low number out of four classes that made up the roster), and two of them were seniors!

i'll agree that he had a great group of OL verbals, but that seemed to be falling apart on its own accord. the meltdown that was the 2007 season had kids looking elsewhere long before we pulled the plug on cally.

i will also agree though that one of major failures of the solich years was letting the pipeline slip up front.

Excellent way to break this down and it shows again that BC was not only a poor head coach but an average recruiter at best. Like you said, someone has to start, so Crabtrees statement is kind of lame.

Can we move the 05 recruiting class discussion to another thread? I'm sure there are several already started.

So nobody knows the status of Mobley? He's got some good measurables, and we could use some receivers in this class. I like everybody we have in the class right now, so I wouldn't want to bump anyone. It's just too bad we're filling up already.