Question about our Non-Conference Schedule for 2009...

I know this would be tough to do, because of all the coaching changes that happen and how offenses change year to year. But I would like a way to schedule teams that run different offenses and kind of prepare us for what we might see in the Big 12. Play one team that runs a spread, play one teams that likes to run, and then play one team that runs a pro set.

I'm for non-conference schedule that brings in the most money - The lower tier team the less you have to pay them to come to Lincoln.

...and the less likely the game will be on TV. The good games with prime-time slots always pay more. By the way, how is the TV revenue sharing split up in the Big 12?

tv revenue is split up kind of odd. Half of all the tv money gets split evenly to all 12 teams. The other half gets handed out based on tv appearances. an ABC game is the most money for the school, then ESPN, FSN and whatever the later options are these days.

I'm for non-conference schedule that brings in the most money - The lower tier team the less you have to pay them to come to Lincoln.

...and the less likely the game will be on TV. The good games with prime-time slots always pay more. By the way, how is the TV revenue sharing split up in the Big 12?

tv revenue is split up kind of odd. Half of all the tv money gets split evenly to all 12 teams. The other half gets handed out based on tv appearances. an ABC game is the most money for the school, then ESPN, FSN and whatever the later options are these days.

PPV is the schools money.

I need to send back my reservation form to the Alumni Association on which game I want to attend this year. Sorry, none of the non-con games at home were of interest to me this year.

I do like scheduling at least one BCS school every year and we have some great match ups already scheduled in the future.

It looks like I'll only be up for K State and OU and attend the KU game in Lawrence.

Honestly I don't really see the point in not scheduling at least two decent BCS teams every year, if not more. As much as I'd love to believe otherwise, I don't see Nebraska as a national title contender anytime soon. One of the main reasons to avoid playing solid teams is for national title contenders to avoid a costly OOC upset that would hurt their chance of finishing first or second come December. Since Nebraska's big goal in the next several years will be winning the Big 12, they can afford to go 2-2 in out of conference games. Plus, the respect gained and the excitement (for the fans) of playing better teams is, IMO, worth it in the long run, even if it means an occasional tough loss.

I'm not asking to play the USCs and the Floridas of the world all the time, but at least some respectable BCS schools, or the cream of the non-BCS teams (Boise State, Utah, etc.) would be nice. Although I know many big schools have a higher creampuff ratio than us, I still find our schedules in the near future unacceptable. To me, teams like ULL, Idaho, Wyoming and Western Kentucky have no business filling more than a single slot on the schedule in any given season. In reality, those types of teams usually fill 3 of the 4 non-conference spots. That's ridiculous to me. That means we could go 3-5 in Big 12 play and still get to a bowl game. How many people would feel good about going to a bowl game with three conference wins and three wins against teams like Idaho?

Like I said, I don't mind one warm-up game a season. After that, I wanna see some respectable teams. Teams like Wisconsin, Northwestern, Boise State, Auburn, Iowa, Tennessee, Georgia Tech, Boston College, North Carolina, etc.

All this said, I will give credit for some of the teams scheduled several years down the road. 2012-2016 all currently have two respectable teams. So the future does look better in this regard.

It's about money and poor planning. Most schools would like to have 3 of the 4 OOC games to be home games. Now no BCS program will play you without a home-and-home (unless it is one of those neutral site games) so it takes quite a bit of work to get things figured out so that you are playing at least 2 BCS teams. And of course it takes two to tango. Apparently few SEC schools are interested in a home-and-home outside the south.

About neutral site games: Again the money is not quite as good for Nebraska as a home game would be. I believe they tried to get the away game of the Wyoming series moved to Denver so that there would be more cash involved, but Wyoming must have turned it down. Hopefully, that guy from Misery turns around that program cause as of now Wyoming is one of the worst non-BCS teams.

I like the schedule but it would be nice not to play 3 teams from the Sun Belt.

Being A SunBelt team fan myself (Florida Atlantic) Im curious as well why Nebraska scheduled 3 of us?

If you HAD to pick one SunBelt team this year which one would you WANT to play?

I think that Nebraska has tried to schedule some bigger games, to do a home and home series with schools like Michigan and Ohio State and they've both said no thanks. Cowards.

Ergo, it's not much of a stretch to think that Nebraska is playing three teams from the Sun Belt because they were the only ones who would agree to come to Lincoln.

Just FIY, looking ahead to future schedules:

Our non-coference schedule in 2010 is a freaking joke...

Western Kentucky

Idaho

Washington

South Dakota St.

It gets slightly better in 2011 with...

Fresno State

Washington

Wyoming

In the years to come the Huskers will play UCLA, Southern Miss, Tennessee and Miami (Florida not Ohio) just to name a few of the higher profile "name" schools.

See the rest of our future schedules here --- > Future Husker Schedules

For me, our 2000 nc schedule was almost perfect. One big name team, ND, who as ranked at the time. Plus two solid programs even though they were unranked. ND and Iowa were both home and away. San Jose was only in Lincoln.

09/02/2000 San Jose St. Lincoln W 49-13 1/unranked

09/09/2000 Notre Dame South Bend W 27-24-ot 1/23

09/23/2000 Iowa Lincoln W 42-13 1/unranked

I like the schedule but it would be nice not to play 3 teams from the Sun Belt.

Being A SunBelt team fan myself (Florida Atlantic) Im curious as well why Nebraska scheduled 3 of us?

If you HAD to pick one SunBelt team this year which one would you WANT to play?

I think that Nebraska has tried to schedule some bigger games, to do a home and home series with schools like Michigan and Ohio State and they've both said no thanks. Cowards.

Ergo, it's not much of a stretch to think that Nebraska is playing three teams from the Sun Belt because they were the only ones who would agree to come to Lincoln.

Just FIY, looking ahead to future schedules:

Western Kentucky

Idaho

Washington

South Dakota St.

Fresno State

Washington

Wyoming

In the years to come the Huskers will play UCLA, Southern Miss, Tennessee and Miami (Florida not Ohio) just to name a few of the higher profile "name" schools.

The ohio state and michigan deal is all 3 schools fault. They all wanted the Home game first and all 3 would not budge. They've been trying to schedule these games since 1998.

Thanks, do you know how much they brought in last year? Or compared to OU, Texas or anyone in the North?

Western Kentucky

Idaho

Washington

South Dakota St.

Fresno State

Washington

Wyoming

While I agree that 2010 looks pretty weak, the current trend of cupcake schools steadily improving and posting wins against traditional powers, shows that no one is above a beating. The tide could just as easily change in that direction for any of the weaker schools we have scheduled and they could become a formidable foe over one season. Highly unlikely, but still something to keep in the back of your mind.

Thanks, do you know how much they brought in last year? Or compared to OU, Texas or anyone in the North?

In recent years, Nebraska’s television revenue has held steady at about $4 million annually. NU officials are counting on that to continue.

The fact Western Michigan vs. Nebraska was bypassed by TV isn’t necessarily bad news financially for dear old NU. The game has a good chance to be a pay-per-view telecast, according to NU officials.

The Huskers’ appearances on pay-per-view in recent years have generated as much as $400,000 in revenue per game for the school. By comparison, the payout to the school for a Fox Sports Net appearance has been in the $150,000-per-game range.

Nebraska brought in 2 million from PPV last year so a better opponent is not a bigger money maker.

In recent years, Nebraska’s television revenue has held steady at about $4 million annually. NU officials are counting on that to continue.

The fact Western Michigan vs. Nebraska was bypassed by TV isn’t necessarily bad news financially for dear old NU. The game has a good chance to be a pay-per-view telecast, according to NU officials.

The Huskers’ appearances on pay-per-view in recent years have generated as much as $400,000 in revenue per game for the school. By comparison, the payout to the school for a Fox Sports Net appearance has been in the $150,000-per-game range.

Nebraska brought in 2 million from PPV last year so a better opponent is not a bigger money maker.

What do games on ABC or ESPN bring in? Isn't FSN the lowest paying of all besides maybe Versus?

I don't see what all the fuss is about. Sure it is unusual to have three teams from one conference, especially from one that is considered "lower tier". But keep in mind that all three of these teams where bowl eligible last season, which means every one of NU's OC opponents went to a bowl game. No other team in the country can say that!

FAU has an experienced QB returning Dusty Smith, who averaged 248 yards a game last year. A stat that would be scarier if their D didn't allow 220 passsing yards per game. They also have a legendary coach in Howard Schnelinberger. Who, if I know my Husker fans, will get a standing ovation when his team takes the field.

ASU should be the best of the three, and was surprisingly adept at running the football last year. (203.3 yd/gm) Given their coach was only in his first year, I imagine they will only improve.