Osborne agrees to stay on indefinitely as AD

Osborne agrees to stay on indefinitely as AD

Journal Star

Tom Osborne is apparently in it for the long term.

Originally scheduled to serve as Nebraska's athletic director through June 2010, Osborne and University of Nebraska-Lincoln chancellor Harvey Perlman have agreed to extend the appointment indefinitely.

They'll review the position on an annual basis.

"Tom originally agreed to come in temporarily and get the department moving in the right direction. He clearly accomplished that. I believe he now feels comfortable serving on an ongoing basis and I certainly feel comfortable having him do so," Perlman said in a statement released Wednesday by NU officials.

"The department faces some real challenges and opportunities as we move forward and Tom brings a breadth of experience that can serve the university well," Perlman added.

When a successor is to be chosen, Perlman said it will be done through an open search process with a committee representing the Athletic Department, the university, and the external community.

"While I think an open process is required, Tom's advice and counsel will play an important role in the ultimate selection, as will the views of our head coaches." Perlman said. "It's appropriate to publicly indicate now that an open process will be adopted in light of the speculation that there may already be a designated successor."

Said Osborne: "I want to thank Chancellor Perlman for the opportunity to serve as athletic director for a period of time that we both feel comfortable with. I enjoy working with student-athletes, coaches, and other athletic department personnel and hope that together we can serve the people of Nebraska and the university well."

:) And this IS a good thing for the University of Nebraska. I just hope that Dr. Tom knows when the time is right to leave for his sake, and the University will honor his wish with no questions. He has gone beyond the call and risked his legacy doing what he has - but he has been successful and it has only added to the story of Tom Osborne. He is one of those few people whom I believe has the power to keep his job as long as he wants it, and would have the people behind him if they ever tried to force him out (which they won't - their not stupid, either).

:restore:restore:restore:restore:restore