Grade the rest of the coaches now

I've been meaning to do this and the Grading Pelini thread reminded me.

So, what do you think of the assistant coaches after 18 months together?

Shawn Watson

Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks

My grade: B. I think it took him too long at the beginning of the season to figure out how to use personnel, but did eventually.

Carl Pelini

Defensive Coordinator/Defensive Line

My grade: A- Suh is in a class by himself, and his continued development should be exciting this year if he remains healthy. I expect great things from the line this year, and not just against lesser competition. Pierre Allen stepped right in for Turner and I don't think we noticed a big dropoff.

Tim Beck

Running Backs

My grade: A-. Would have liked to see what Helu could do with more responsibility.

Ron Brown

Tight Ends

My grade: A+ -- I had my doubts about this guy, but I just love him now. He loves physical play and appears to be developing some serious talent at the TE position.

Barney Cotton

Associate Head Coach/Offensive Line

My grade: C-. He has flat out admitted that the players knew more than him, and has been quoted by Slauson on a number of occasions that he doesn't care about technique. This is an eventual recipe for not nice things to happen to our inexperienced QB's. I'd give him a lower grade, but the offense did ok despite my perceived lack of teaching.

Mike Ekeler

Linebackers

My grade: B. He wasn't exactly working with a stacked deck last year and I hope now that he can develop and utilitze the guys who had redshirts. He did turn Glenn into a very solid LB, so that gives me hope.

Ted Gilmore

Assistant Head Coach/Wide Receivers/Recruiting Coordinator

My grade: B-. I'm disappointed in WR development. We have serious WR talent on the roster (IMO), but no one seems to step up to cement their position. Nate/Todd were awesome but not even close as the potential of some of our other scholarship WR's. I can't quite figure out why that is, and I have to say it goes back to coaching. Let Ron Brown coach these guys and see if there's a big difference or not.

John Papuchis

Defensive Ends

My grade: B+ -- needs to have the ends become a presence.

Marvin Sanders

Secondary

My grade: C+. Our secondary and pass defense did not improve. How few int's did the secondary have?! This is a guy I expected great things from -- Sanders, please don't keep me waiting.

Note: I reserve the right to change my mind on my grades if someone points out something I didn't notice/think of, and after the season of course.

I would agree on your assesments for the most part, but I think they all get A++++++++++ after watching the previous regime.

But I dont think you can't just grade coaches on the performance of their players from any given Saturday. There is so much more they do behind the scenes.

1. Educational requirements-are the players going to class and making the grade

2. Motivation- Are the players working hard for that coach and improving every week

3. Responsibility- Are the kids commited to seeing something through to the end

4. Mentorship -Are the kids learning from an adult the life skills required to be successful after college in work and at home

My position coach in college taught me more than just football, and to this day we still email each other and he's still coaching 12 years after I graduated college so I think it goes hand in hand with coaches at all levels, the good ones teach more than just the game

Let me get this straight, you had high hopes for Marvin Sanders but NOT Ron Brown? :confucius

Yes, you have my opinion straight. First, we obviously needed serious defensive help and Sanders had recently been a DC of a decent defensive unit while Ron Brown had been out of football for quite some time. But, hey, he impresses the hell out of me now (maybe even literally!) and that's all I care.

and for the poster stating that x/o's aren't the only things, I couldn't agree more but I want a stand up coach who is a great role model, AND can coach the x/o's.

Let me get this straight, you had high hopes for Marvin Sanders but NOT Ron Brown? :confucius

Yes, you have my opinion straight. First, we obviously needed serious defensive help and Sanders had recently been a DC of a decent defensive unit while Ron Brown had been out of football for quite some time. But, hey, he impresses the hell out of me now (maybe even literally!) and that's all I care.

and for the poster stating that x/o's aren't the only things, I couldn't agree more but I want a stand up coach who is a great role model, AND can coach the x/o's.

Well Ron Brown was one of the more respected coaches on TO's staff. I thought he was one of the most solid hires Bo made, that man can flat out coach. Regarding Cotton in your grades, I am not sure what to make of him. The comments you mentioned indicating he didn't know more than the players is a bit out of context. Cotton didn't have a lot of experience with the WCO and those comments he made were based on O-Line play within the WCO and not concerning individual tactics required. I agree that it would be preferable to have a coach who is used to the scheme the team is running, but Cotton does know what it takes to be a good O-lineman. Coaches are always learning and adapting, example is Watson putting in spread and option elements into the O last year even though he is a hard core WCO guy, so I will reserve judgement until after next year. If the O can pound the rock to the tune of 200-215 yards a game coupled with 250 yards a game passing I will be disappointed.

I was elated with RB being picked up as an assistant regardless of the fact that he had been out of the game for so long. His attitude and work ethic is unmatched as far as I am concerned and can only be infectious for his players.

I think we see improvement from Sanders and the secondary. Of course that is easy to say as there is a lot of room for improvement.

Overall I see the team gelling and responding to the system with improvements across the board.

GBR

I love all of these guys and I hope they all stay for a very long time. I gave Bo Pelini a B+ and I think that should apply to the rest of the coaching staff. My view is you are only as strong as your weakest link and so far, where some of these guys have their faults, not one coach really stands out as the weak one. They mesh so well together that I say these guys are as one. Only view I have against this staff is the West Coast Offense sucks, I hate it, and I want to see some smashmouth football. But I'm not even sure what you would call our offense since it's more of a do what the defense gives us and I am a fan of take what I want and suck your will to resist right outta ya.

Shawn Watson

My grade: B. I think it took him too long at the beginning of the season to figure out how to use personnel, but did eventually.

I don't think that is really fair - I think everyone was pretty much trying to figure out what real talent we had and what the offensive philosophy was that Bo wanted to frame at the beginning of the season. I think Watson did a superb job considering there was no O-line to speak of the first few games - it is hard to do anything when you have an O-line that looks like a bunch of freshmen out there...

I also believe that BC kept him handcuffed, and I think Watson had a better plan than BC but never got to speak about it or implement it when BC was here.

Bo was right in retaining him, I think he could be the key to Nebraska's future on the offensive side of the ball. As far as a letter grade, probably no worse than a B or better than a B+ at this stage. This year will tell a lot about just how good he is. I think the O-line will lend more support - and that will be vital. He must have some talent, or other schools would not be talking to him about taking a position as HC. I think it is imperative that Nebraska keep in on the staff, but I also expect to see a "A" performance out of him this season, even with an inexperienced QB. He has shown that he can work with who he has...that better not change.

Tim Beck

Running Backs

My grade: A-. Would have liked to see what Helu could do with more responsibility.

This one I have a real problem with if any of these grades. I would have had to given him a B- at best, probably a C- at worst. Why they insisted on keeping Lucky out there running into the O-linemen is beyond me. I think they should have gotten some of the other backs the ball a lot earlier. It is up to him to convey something like that to Bo or Watson. It don't look like he was doing it. It is also hard to judge him or the backs when they didn't have the support they should have gotten from the O-line.

Barney Cotton

My grade: C-. He has flat out admitted that the players knew more than him, and has been quoted by Slauson on a number of occasions that he doesn't care about technique. This is an eventual recipe for not nice things to happen to our inexperienced QB's. I'd give him a lower grade, but the offense did ok despite my perceived lack of teaching.

I think everyone was really hard on Barney last year. I think he went into the year not wanting to overwhelm the players with too much technique. I think they felt like they were left behind by BC, when he was here, and I don't think they actually learned anything while BC was around...therefore I think Barney had to start from scratch with the basics. As the season went on you did see the play of the O-line improve drastically. Someone was responsible for that improvement...so I have to give Barney maybe a C or even a B- for the job he did. I think Barney is "old school" - I don't know that he does know all the modern technique to be honest, but he does know you have to get the job done on the line...and knows the basics and then a little.

If you would have asked me the first three games I would have gave him an F, as I was extremely disappointed in the O-line play...to put it simply - it just wasn't Nebraska Football! I think this year will tell a lot more about how good he is...so maybe we need to wait and see on him for a little while. One thing he has going for him is that the players seem to like him.

I will say this about him - I know there are a lot better O-line coaches out there...but they aren't available either...I think we have to have a little patience with him. If the O-line comes out as bad as they were last season at the first of the year - we are in deep doo doo, and I think some fans will get their wish in seeing him gone.

Mike Ekeler

Linebackers

My grade: B. He wasn't exactly working with a stacked deck last year and I hope now that he can develop and utilitze the guys who had redshirts. He did turn Glenn into a very solid LB, so that gives me hope.

I think he actually maybe should get an A- or B+. He started the year not exactly having anyone back there that stood out. I think he is a great teacher of the game. Just hearing what comments the players had about him in the press.

Special Teams Coach - Unknown

I am really disappointed that they haven't named a Special Teams Coach. I think this is a position that needs to be filled ASAP to work with not only the kickers, but with the kick coverages. I think less than good Special teams is something that Nebraska has suffered with for too long. So ... I have to give this position a D+ at best, and since there isn't a special teams coach, I guess Bo has to step up and take it on the chin on this one. The one bright spot was "The Kick", and that one play could have gone the other way so easily....but it did take guts to let him try. Probably the only reason this grade isn't a D-.

I was elated with RB being picked up as an assistant regardless of the fact that he had been out of the game for so long. His attitude and work ethic is unmatched as far as I am concerned and can only be infectious for his players.

I think we see improvement from Sanders and the secondary. Of course that is easy to say as there is a lot of room for improvement.

Overall I see the team gelling and responding to the system with improvements across the board.

GBR

I agree, I think we will see improvement in the secondary. In all actuality, all the coaches should get an incomplete because I don't think we've seen even a fraction of what they are capable of yet since they really haven't even gotten to use any of their own players yet. Time to unleash some hungry beasts! I desperately want to feel comfortable enough to give each man an A+++++! I think they are capable and I do love this staff, even though I'll be critical at times.

:w00t

and PS - I hope Cotton proves me very very wrong! Sometimes I just love being wrong.

Trucker - great comments. When you mention that my grade of Watson wasn't fair because "I think everyone was pretty much trying to figure out what real talent we had and what the offensive philosophy was that Bo wanted to frame at the beginning of the season."

Who was in the best position to know that ahead of time? Watson. I also thought Bo pretty much turned over all of the offensive decisions to Watson, so it was all on him. I agree about the O-line not doing them any favors, but I was very disappointed in the offensive game plan the first part of the season. Especially if I go back and watch any of it now and know what it looked like at the end of the season.

But, whatever, I am definitely looking forward to what 2009 brings now that the staff has been in place for a season +.

Mostly good, though I'd change a couple

Watson is too low, he had a couple playcalling kinks to work out early in the season but as soon as they were discovered he changed them - immediately in the middle of a game no less and then came out the next week and those new tactis worked almost to perfection against a top 10 team..

Besides his development of Joe Ganz alone gives him no less than a B+ and likely an A-.

Beck is slightly high IMO. It wasn't until injuries happened that he found a good rhythm with the backs, if all of them were healthy all season I don't know if the running game would have been as good as it was (if that makes sense lol) I also think Lucky was poorly managed and his skills were very underutilized. They tried to turn him into something he wasn't when the year before he showed exactly what kind of back he needs to be. C+ is where I'd put Beck.

Shawn Watson

I completely agree.

Carl Pelini

My grade: A- Suh is in a class by himself, and his continued development should be exciting this year if he remains healthy. I expect great things from the line this year, and not just against lesser competition. Pierre Allen stepped right in for Turner and I don't think we noticed a big dropoff.

Again, I'm wiht you 100%

Tim Beck

Running Backs

Not so much, I don't think any of the top 4 running backs was used to their potential, though I did like waht I sure in the bowl game, C

Ron Brown

Tight Ends

My grade: A+ -- I had my doubts about this guy, but I just love him now. He loves physical play and appears to be developing some serious talent at the TE position.

I loved this hire from day one. I think alot of people remember him as receivers coach and thought we never had great WRs, except that our system at the time required downfield blocking more than anything else and RB was a stud at teaching 168lb, 1star, nobody WRs how to detroy all star linebackers in space. Combined with Watson's history of TE usage and developement, I figured this would be a great match. A+

Barney Cotton

The comment was very out of context. The biggest difference this year (at least at the end) was that everyone knew their assignment and every one put a hat on hat. I can't tell you how sickening it was to see our linemen missing assignments, missing blocks, and standing in the middle of the field without a clue where they were supposed to go in 2007. I saw big gains and I expect to see more. B-

Mike Ekeler

Linebackers

I have to agree, I'm especially interested to see this guys career developes, I think he bond for great things.

Ted Gilmore

My grade: B-. I'm disappointed in WR development. We have serious WR talent on the roster (IMO), but no one seems to step up to cement their position. Nate/Todd were awesome but not even close as the potential of some of our other scholarship WR's. I can't quite figure out why that is, and I have to say it goes back to coaching. Let Ron Brown coach these guys and see if there's a big difference or not.

I can't get a read on this guy at all. I have been very disappointed with the developement of the supposed star receivers, but pleasantly suprised with guys like Swift and Peterson. :wtf

John Papuchis

Defensive Ends

I'm not a fan of the whole separate DEs coach, I'd rather they were included a unit with the Dts. That said, replacing Turner early on and getting good production despite and inadequte LB corp that could not keep contain and thusly limited what the DEs could do in pass rush, I'd say a B is in order.

Marvin Sanders

Secondary

My grade: C+. Our secondary and pass defense did not improve. How few int's did the secondary have?! This is a guy I expected great things from -- Sanders, please don't keep me waiting.

I love me some Marvin Sanders, but until they stop getting burn deep, I can't give the props. Improved front 7 play this year should allow the DBs to be more opportunistic. C+

Note: I reserve the right to change my mind on my grades if someone points out something I didn't notice/think of, and after the season of course.

A wise choice indeed.

BTW, who are the grad asst this year?

I was very happy with Brown being on this staff. Even though he was out of football, I cannot think of a better person to bring on board for the simple reason of bridging the good times of NU. He was involved with TO and he knew what type of players needed to be here to represent the Huskers....he has brought this back and will continue to help out tremendously with recruiting the kids and connecting.

I am hoping that Cotton will continue to improve the O-line.

Shawn Watson

I completely agree.

Carl Pelini

Again, I'm with you 100%

Tim Beck

Running Backs

Not so much, I don't think any of the top 4 running backs was used to their potential, though I did like waht I sure in the bowl game, C

Ron Brown

Tight Ends

I loved this hire from day one. I think alot of people remember him as receivers coach and thought we never had great WRs, except that our system at the time required downfield blocking more than anything else and RB was a stud at teaching 168lb, 1star, nobody WRs how to detroy all star linebackers in space. Combined with Watson's history of TE usage and developement, I figured this would be a great match. A+

Barney Cotton

The comment was very out of context. The biggest difference this year (at least at the end) was that everyone knew their assignment and every one put a hat on hat. I can't tell you how sickening it was to see our linemen missing assignments, missing blocks, and standing in the middle of the field without a clue where they were supposed to go in 2007. I saw big gains and I expect to see more. B-

Mike Ekeler

Linebackers

I have to agree, I'm especially interested to see this guys career developes, I think he bond for great things.

Ted Gilmore

I can't get a read on this guy at all. I have been very disappointed with the developement of the supposed star receivers, but pleasantly suprised with guys like Swift and Peterson. :wtf

John Papuchis

Defensive Ends

I'm not a fan of the whole separate DEs coach, I'd rather they were included a unit with the Dts. That said, replacing Turner early on and getting good production despite and inadequte LB corp that could not keep contain and thusly limited what the DEs could do in pass rush, I'd say a B is in order.

Marvin Sanders

Secondary

I love me some Marvin Sanders, but until they stop getting burn deep, I can't give the props. Improved front 7 play this year should allow the DBs to be more opportunistic. C+

A wise choice indeed.

BTW, who are the grad asst this year?