New Huskers fan needing indoctrination....

Hello Husker fans,

I need to be indoctrinated in the lore, history and culture of the Huskers.

I'm a New Zealander (check your atlases) who will be heading to Omaha with my family later this year because my daughter needs a life saving multi-organ transplant at the Childrens Hospital.

I'm a huge sports fan (diehard Houston Texans and Houston Rockets fan) who doesn't yet have a college team to root for and I'd love to adopt the Huskers as my team to follow while in Nebraska.

So what do I need to know?

I've read some of the history of the team, I'm guessing I should instantly dislike Bill Callahan and mourn for the passing of the option......

I know next to nothing about the current team, although I'm of the impression they run the west coast offense...

Indoctrinate me please......

Welcome to Omaha! Sorry to hear that you are going to be here under such circumstance, but I pray that everything will turn out well. Omaha is a cool little city with a great entertainment venue and some good restaurants.

I would recommend a few things. Go to Amazon and get Bob Devaney's and Tom Osborne's book. See also if there is a video collection of important games going back to the 60's. You can't watch them all, so there might be a compilation of relevant game clips from each decade. You might try youtube.com, there is some good clips on there. Lurk around on this board and get knowledgable about the upcoming season and then just show up to games or bars on gameday.

Hello Husker fans,

[...]

--------------------

Indoctrinate me!!

this looks like a job of HuskerJen..!

i3f38x.jpg

Welcome to Omaha! It's a great town. As others have said, I'm sorry that you had to come here under such dire circumstances. Please keep us up to date on how things are going so that we can be thinking of and praying for you.

Nebraska gets cold in the winter with lots of wind and snow and very hot in the summer, with high humidity. I was going to comment that in winter, the days are pretty short, but I guess you being a New Zealander would know all about that. :lol:

If I had to sum up the entire Husker Football Tradition in one phrase, it would be walk-on. The idea of a kid who comes to the University with nothing but the hope that he might one day play for his team, and works harder and longer than anyone to achieve that dream, is pretty much what Nebraska football is all about. Bill Callahan took the emphasis off the walk-on program and I think we all agree that the whole program suffered as a result. Pelini is bringing it back. How many back-up linebackers stepped up last season who were walk-ons?

Nebraska is a great program. Had a few down years but we're coming back up. It's a good time to sign on. :lol:

On the flipside, this is all I know of New Zealand:

FArZxLj6DLk

Also: Fairbury hot dogs and Runza.

A poster on here has a good site to look into: http://sites.google.com/site/nebraskafootballhistory/

Also here is a new site that Bo had put up. Just use Guest as the username and password. A lot of cool videos and information in there.

http://ath-cybersports.unl.edu/nebraskafb/login.cfm

There are also a couple of vids that are great, but I can't find them right now.

Welcome to Nebraska...You will love it! You will also get addicted to Husker football, especially if you hang around in here. The best way to be "indoctrinated" would be just start reading here and in the papers when they have articles, but most of those articles end up on here anyway and we have a discussion about them.

Again, welcome, and I hope you enjoy it here! :)

Welcome to Nebraska...You will love it! You will also get addicted to Husker football, especially if you hang around in here. The best way to be "indoctrinated" would be just start reading here and in the papers when they have articles, but most of those articles end up on here anyway and we have a discussion about them.

Again, welcome, and I hope you enjoy it here! :)

From a non husker fan, I would say you should try to find "Husker Century I II III" 3 videos. I've watched it a few times and it is pretty well put together.

Kiwi, welcome to Nebraska. Sorry you have to come here under such circumstances. Your daughter and your family will be in our prayers. Hope everything turns out well.

If you're looking to adopt a college football team, you couldn't pick a better team than the Huskers. We have a winning tradition, and although we've recently fallen on hard times, we have high hopes that we'll be able to pull through. The Huskers reflect the hard work and solid character of the citizens of the state.

The scenery here is far more dull than what you're used to in New Zealand, land of beautiful mountains, fjords and glaciers, but the people are great, and Omaha is a pretty nice town overall.

Good luck, and God bless your daughter and your family.

Watch this my young Padawan, and all shall be revealed....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-hAWHMxXxg...&playnext=1

One of the best movies to watch to get a little feel of what Nebraska is all about. There is just way to much to talk about so my suggestion, if it's possible, is to go to Lincoln on a gameday. Go check out the trophy rooms and do some tailgates with all the fans. It's a pretty special atmosphere. Tell your daughter Husker fans are praying for her.

Hello Husker fans,

I'm a New Zealander (check your atlases) who will be heading to Omaha with my family later this year because my daughter needs a life saving multi-organ transplant at the Childrens Hospital.

I'm a huge sports fan (diehard Houston Texans and Houston Rockets fan) who doesn't yet have a college team to root for and I'd love to adopt the Huskers as my team to follow while in Nebraska.

So what do I need to know?

I've read some of the history of the team, I'm guessing I should instantly dislike Bill Callahan and mourn for the passing of the option......

I know next to nothing about the current team, although I'm of the impression they run the west coast offense...

You will love watching B12 games. High scoring and HUGE plays every week. Most of the teams run the spread but it seems nebraska is turning back to the running game this year with young QB and young WR's. Should be a good season, sorry you have to visit the state under those circumstances, but being an outsider in this state I will say the people are great, even in Omaha. ;-) They will make you feel as at home as possible.

PS. Please learn to dislike Missouri and all things Colorado and Kansas State U.

kiwi - welcome to the board, and I'm very sorry to hear about your reasoning for coming to Omaha. I wish you were coming under better circumstances. I agree with most here that Omaha is a nice small city, so your stay, even under the circumstances, should be very pleasant.

If you want to get a jump on the season, you can even watch a couple of games on http://www.big12sports.com/ -- I believe they have two games, vs Virginia Tech and vs Colorado. If you do nothing else, check out the fourth quarter of the 2008 Colorado game - it will not disappoint. To watch the videos, they do make you sign up for an account, but it is free.

Both games on big12sports show that first year head coach Bo Pelini does not let his guys quit when the chips are down. The Virginia Tech game was an early season loss, and a comeback fell short. The offense then looked much different than it did at the end of the year, so that's why I recommend the Colorado game much more (plus, it was a win).

If you're feeling up to it, you can drive about an hour to Lincoln some day and take a tour -- there are contacts on this page: http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB...1&SPSID=187