NU Offense

We look pretty solid at RB but some questions at WR and on the line, with that being said how well do you think the offense will play this season?

We are just fine on the line. 61 combined starts for our o-line and that's the best in the north by far. WR I also say will be fine. Somebody will step up and get the job done, but what I like the most is what we might do with Mendoza. If they make him a slot guy he will be very tough to match up on. Our TE's will be great this year and they are always a nice safety option for a new quarterback. Solid line, solid running game, solid TE's...I am liking our options even though we are inexperienced at QB and WR.

I remember people saying the same things about losing Purify and Nunn after 2007. They were questioning if Peterson and Swift could get the job done and I would say they did. Just like I think Holt, Paul, Bell, Mendoza, or Brooks will get the job done. Other thing I have to say about our WR's is Will freakin Henry...6'5" and 220 pounds. Just saying I like the size of some the young guys.

As long as the O line is solid the offense should do quite well IMO. Lee just needs to be servicable, and if he (or I suppose one of the other guys) turns ouit to be the man...look out. We may need to rely on Helu/Q a little more but if the line is solid the O will be solid.

People might not think so, but our offense can essentially be termed as "reloading" every year and not rebuilding. We've maintained very good offensive numbers since '06, through different prominent players at all positions.

They'll be just as successful as they have been.

I think we'll move the rock.

Ganz was able to run the O from the get-go. Lee hasn't been here quite as long but he's more talented and will have had worked with the first-team. IMO Lee will be comparable to Ganz in '09 and nasty in '10.

The line should be a little improved in the second-year of Cotton's schemes. Murtha was good but he did miss several games last year. Slauson was a loss but between Christensen, DJ Jones, and Henry we should get soldi play. Hickman, Marcel Jones, and Williams should be another year better. I think Mike Smith should have a good year, he's been playing lighter than listed, still at a more of a DE-weight, this year he'll be at more of a legit OT-size. If Burkes continues to be out with illness that will be a loss. Derek Meyer and Brandon Thompson should provide some good dept at tackle while Caputo gets in his share at center.

RB should be good. We'll miss Lucky as a 3rd-down ball-cacher/blitz-stopper. But we'll have more ability to pound the rock. I'll be interested to see who steps-up behind Helu and Castille since Mendoza has moved. Will Okafor and/or Ward keep Burkhead's shirt on?

WR is a wildcard. There is a solid amount of talent but it's unproven. Paul and Holt probably start at the beginning of the season. Will Gillelyn, Brooks, and Henry do anything? We have talented new guys in Kinnie, Bell, and Cooper that could impact. TE should be a strength, I look for us to be in multiple-TE sets a lot.

Newbie question here about the offensive line.

How would you describe the blocking screens that we use?

Zone, Man, a bit of everything?

I would think it would depend on the front we see. In CU's 3-4 you would think they would give a zone blocking scheme, but against a 4-3 or 5 man front i would think they'd go man. I was never a lineman though so i didn't have to worry bout that stuff, just as long as they blocked for me so i didn't die <_<

When we see how Lee performs during a game, we'll be able to answer this question. He's key to the O's performance. If he performs well, the O will be OK, maybe good. If not, grab a keg and start drinking!!

I have already started taking your advice! However soley for medicinal purposes to get through the off season.

When we see how Lee performs during a game, we'll be able to answer this question. He's key to the O's performance. If he performs well, the O will be OK, maybe good. If not, grab a keg and start drinking!!

Not only does Lee's performance answer the question about the offense, it also will answer the question to how good our defense will be. If our defense has to be on the field 2 1/2 to 3 quarters of every game, their statistics won't look very good. I do hope he performs very well as keg's have gotten pretty expensive.

Newbie question here about the offensive line.

How would you describe the blocking screens that we use?

Zone, Man, a bit of everything?

Predominately zone. But as with most every facet of NU's offense, multiplicity is a big factor. Husker lineman have to be multi dimensional in both pass and run blocking to see the field. As with any linemen, quick feet are always a plus, because coach Watson's offense will require them to do a little of everything.

I wont address the QB spot, because that would tedious and boring. haha.

The RB spot is one i dont need to mention, Helu will start, and if he gets tired or hurt, Castille will step in. So i think we are covered.

FB - well, someone has to replace Lawson, either Hays or Makovicka will do. Suhhhhhhhh....

WR - Brooks will start, along with Holt and Paul. The key is who plays behind them? and as it has been said, there is a good deal of talented receivers behind them, Henry, Bell, Kinnie, Mendoza, Gilleylen, and lets not forget Safety Adam Watson made the switch to WR now, so the list goes on.

TE - Mike McNeill could single-handling hold the TE position this year, but heaven-forbid something happens, Hill and Reed are right there as well.

The OL - the only thing i have to say about this is the only trouble spots is Christensen, who is getting back into shape and looking good for fall camp, and Jaivorio Burkes still isnt clear to play yet, but other than that, alot of the OL we say last year, comes back this year. I dont see any trouble at all.