Roy Helu

Helu not concerned with numbers

By BRIAN CHRISTOPHERSON / Lincoln Journal Star

While Roy Helu Jr. has shown that the ability to go airborne (i.e., hurdling confused defenders) is useful, NU’s junior I-back would just as soon spend his summer days staying grounded.

As he sees it, focusing on his faith is a far better option than focusing on any preseason adulation that might come his way.

He’s featured on glossy magazine covers and his name is one of the first mentioned in any serious conversation about the upcoming Nebraska football season. One national pundit ranked him among the 20 best players in the Big 12 Conference this year.

“The attention is pretty decent, but to be honest, it’s more for media and for the fans,” Helu said Friday. “I don’t really gain confidence from seeing myself on a poster. I gained a lot of confidence, though, playing some good ball at the end of last year.”

Yes, whatever high expectations there might be for Helu are largely because of what he did last November.

He shined in back-to-back games, accounting for 176 yards against both Oklahoma and Kansas. To top that, Helu had a career-high 215 yards against Colorado, including 166 rushing.

In a three-back system that included Marlon Lucky and Quentin Castille, Helu was NU’s leading rusher with 803 yards on 125 carries, an average of 6.4 yards per attempt. He was the first Husker since 2000 to average more than 6 yards a carry.

Just as importantly, he showed he could hit the home run, scoring from 52 yards against Kansas and 24 against Kansas State on a play that initially looked like it’d go for nothing. With one quick bounce to the outside, he scooted down the sideline untouched.

Helu also had 25 receptions for 266 yards, giving him 1,069 total yards despite seven games in which he didn’t touch the ball 10 times.

He called last year “mostly a joyful season,” though admittedly there were some hard times in the middle of the year, when he wasn’t receiving as much playing time. It was then that he relied on his faith.

“I’d say last year at times it was (difficult) when I wasn’t getting the ball as much,” Helu said. “But every time I’d look back at the cross and refocus on how it’s a team sport and I’m involved in something bigger than myself.”

With Lucky gone, Helu and Castille figure to get more touches this fall. Castille had a career-high 125 yards rushing against Clemson in the Gator Bowl when Helu was sidelined with a leg infection.

There’s competition between the two players, but Helu said there’s also friendship.

“There is an attitude of the running back group we have right now where we’re going to compete for reps and we’re going to make each other better, but it’s not going to be an unhealthy-type deal because we see ourselves as a unit,” Helu said.

“Me and Quentin have grown closer this summer through some experiences that have been happening. I need him. I need Quentin Castille to be there for our team and our offense. I need him for me. He’d probably say the same thing. It goes hand in hand that we need each other.”

Tim Griffin, the ESPN reporter who ranked Helu the 20th-best player in the Big 12 going into 2009, highlighted Nebraska’s backfield among a list of the most-talented position groups in the Big 12.

“Together, it wouldn’t be a stretch that the two backs could combine for 2,000 rushing yards and 20 rushing touchdowns if both can stay healthy,” Griffin wrote.

Helu, who is on the covers of the Athlon Sports and Sporting News preseason magazines sold in the Midwest, hasn’t set any specific goals for this season.

“I’m not a numbers guy, but I am an effort guy,” he said. “I’m going to expect the best effort from me and the running back stable that we have. And whether that puts up numbers in the 2,000s, 1,000s, or in the 100s, that’s up to us. But I know numbers will come along with what type of effort we put into training and preparing.”

Helu said he’s fully recovered from a hamstring injury that he suffered in the middle of spring practice.

Injury seemed to be the only thing that could slow Helu after he began the spring at a bulked-up 222 pounds and performed so well that Husker coach Bo Pelini called his play “tremendous.”

Helu continued rehabilitation after spring ball ended, sticking around to put in his work while many of his teammates were free to go home. It was early June when he said he felt healthy again.

The bad news is he lost all the muscle mass he’d gained leading up to spring ball. He said he’s currently at 214 pounds. He wants to be around 220.

“It was pretty discouraging to see those results kind of go down after you get hurt,” Helu said. “But it’s encouraging again to see how the hard work so far these past four weeks can change your body and help your explosiveness.”

While he figures to assume a major role in the offense, Helu said he is in the process of learning how to be a leader on the team. That is another issue where he’s turning to his faith.

“I’m learning through just talking to godly men and also reading the scripture about how I can become a leader that Jesus would want me to be,” Helu said.

The native of Danville, Calif., said he’s already seen new leaders begin to step up during summer conditioning. “There’s more selflessness,” Helu said.

He also expressed great confidence in quarterback Zac Lee, saying he expected NU’s offense to produce its share of big plays because of Lee’s big arm.

“Real big plays,” Helu said. “We dream big now.”

I have faith in our OL, we got good depth at it, and some returning starters.

Helu's words just gives me re-assurance that this season is gonna rock!

I had no doubts back during the spring and i still dont have any doubts now. GO HUSKERS!

“Real big plays,” Helu said. “We dream big now.”

Why did he have to say that?

I was nice, calm, and relaxed. Now I'm getting all fired up and I'm going to have to pop in the '96 Fiesta Bowl DVD, tap the keg, and tackle a bum.

Might as well call in sick for tomorrow right now...

i actually had a dream of Helu taking the first play of a game the distance last night. it was pretty sweet. i dont really know what game it was- ill just hope it was oklahoma!