Don't Sleep on the Sun Belt

What I wouldn't give for a flashback moment to The Tom Osborne Show from the late 80s/early 90s, when Nebraska was playing Middle Directional Tech State and he would talk about how tough they were, and how if you didn't bring your 'A' game you would get beat, etc, etc, etc. Tom had those guys pumped up and ready to go for all of those games, and we took care of business. Maybe HuskerVision could pop in a couple of those tapes for Bo so he knows what to say before these games.

I'll say this - there isn't a team in college football you can sleep on anymore. With the scholly limits the way they are, there is talent on every roster, every team. I remember even in our heyday Wyoming came in and gave us some trouble, as did Texas Tech when Leach first installed his pass-happy offense. You really can't take these teams for granted, or they will beat you.

Stanford/USC

Montana St./Colorado

Appalachian St./Michigan

The second you think it can't happen, it'll happen.

The SunBelt is getting stronger every year.

While still at the bottom or close to it (More then a few have stated that we have surpassed the MAC in terms of play) we had 4 teams Bowl Elligible last year and sent 2. We split the bowls 1-1

Troy lost to USM in a thrilling game in overtime.

FAU beat Central Michigan in a good game.

Now that we have 9 full Football memembers (10 in a few years when USA becomes FBS) we will be having 8 confrence games and 4 OOC games, which should improve the records and create more Bowl elligible teams.

The SunBelt has only ONE gurantee Bowl bid, (The New Orleans bowl) that goes to the confrence champion. In 2007 a VERY talented 8-4 Troy team got shut out of a bowl when FAU beat them to win the confrence head to head. This resulted in the rule that if a 7-6 or higher team is available they MUST be taken over a 6-6.

Therefore you will hear EVERY SunBelt coach talk about how crititcal it is to WIN the Confrence. It is the ONLY way you gurantee a post season game. If you dont win its a crap shoot to get a at large bid.

At this point Nebraska can't afford to take anyone lightly. If they do, they will have a loss hung on them, they are not that good yet. All it takes is for a lessor team to come in motivated, and Nebraska to be flat, or take a win for granted, and before you know it they are 14 points down after the first quarter, which will only motivate the opposing teams players and coaches more, then at halftime you are down 28 pts. You might be able to close the gap with a little motivational speech at halftime, and a change in the game plan, or you come out and really get your lunch handed to you.

Nebraska has a long way to go before they can take any game for granted. And with parity, I am not sure you take any team lightly - just ask Michigan.

What I wouldn't give for a flashback moment to The Tom Osborne Show from the late 80s/early 90s, when Nebraska was playing Middle Directional Tech State and he would talk about how tough they were, and how if you didn't bring your 'A' game you would get beat, etc, etc, etc. Tom had those guys pumped up and ready to go for all of those games, and we took care of business. Maybe HuskerVision could pop in a couple of those tapes for Bo so he knows what to say before these games.

I'll say this - there isn't a team in college football you can sleep on anymore. With the scholly limits the way they are, there is talent on every roster, every team. I remember even in our heyday Wyoming came in and gave us some trouble, as did Texas Tech when Leach first installed his pass-happy offense. You really can't take these teams for granted, or they will beat you.

Stanford/USC

Montana St./Colorado

Appalachian St./Michigan

Wait a second...Colorado didn't beat Montana St.. <_<

Stanford/USC

Montana St./Colorado

Appalachian St./Michigan

I hear that all the time...teams looking ahead..but I just don't see a guy like Pelini "half assing" his prep for a team in order to better prepare for a better team down the road...and if he did, then he got his wake up call against San Jose State last year. A bit too close into the fourth quarter for my tastes.

These Sun Belt teams are gonna get knocked around like high school teams! Good practice for the big boys!

I hear that all the time...teams looking ahead..but I just don't see a guy like Pelini "half assing" his prep for a team in order to better prepare for a better team down the road...and if he did, then he got his wake up call against San Jose State last year. A bit too close into the fourth quarter for my tastes.

These Sun Belt teams are gonna get knocked around like high school teams! Good practice for the big boys!

I hope so, and I think you're right, but Bo isn't out there on the field. That's the only thing.

I'm pretty sure those will be minor tests, but you never know...

I certainly hope none of the team have your attitude. It is what got us into this situation in the first place. Thinking we were better than other teams, slacking in practice, taking wins for granted. Your never better until the game is over and you are the higher number on the scoreboard. Respect your competition.

It ain't happen no more sir. Every game on your schedule is a potential loss.

Our real talent level is not much above FAU, and my guess is our speed is below them.

I hope you are right, and I think you are, but thinking every game is going to be easy is a mistake to say the least.

I certainly hope none of the team have your attitude. It is what got us into this situation in the first place. Thinking we were better than other teams, slacking in practice, taking wins for granted. Your never better until the game is over and you are the higher number on the scoreboard. Respect your competition.

Our real talent level is not much above FAU, and my guess is our speed is below them.

I hope you are right, and I think you are, but thinking every game is going to be easy is a mistake to say the least.

I'm a fan. I can overlook the Sun Belt all I want. It makes no difference. All my preperations, meditating, and yelling at the referees from my basement has not helped Nebraska score one point in my life time, so saying "We're gonna crush them!!" really doesn't either.

Now I am among the most skeptical as regards the Husker's talent level. Yet while I concur that our talent level is not top 25 at the moment (at least not our developed, Jr & Sr-level talent) I do think our talent level should be superior to FAU and certainly hope our speed is superior too. Could I be wrong on this? Could FAU actually be faster than NU? Man, I hope not. Sure NU is not fast by top tier school standards, but FAU!