Would it be appropriate.....

So cry me a river, Guy. What are we supposed to do, hold a vigil for their players? Pass the hat for bail money?

What's with this whining about Miami and Oklahoma players? Do you know any of them? I know a former OU athlete. The tales he'll tell you of their athletic dorms in the 80s will curl your toes. And you're wringing your hands because SOME Husker fans threw gibes their way?

In your perfect world, what should have happened?

We've torn down the goal posts several times in the 80s and 90s. They would go down O Street or end up in Broyhill, or somewhere else on campus. I think one of the fraternities had a chunk of goalpost for a while when I was going to school. They talked like they did, anyway.

Again, all this "we're better than that" talk flies in the face of Husker history. We were charging the field during the Scoring Explosion days, during the late 80s, during the Championship Years in the 90s, and we'll do it again this year if we beat Oklahoma. There is nothing dishonorable about it, it's just dangerous and one day something is going to happen to someone when they're not where they should be.

We are better than that. We shouldn't have been bringing them down in the 80s. Nebraska doesn't need to prove anything. What reason would we have to storm the field and bring down the goal post other than to say we beat someone we shouldn't have???? You do stuff like this when you "shock" college football. I went to Kansas and while I was in school we brought the goals posts down 3 years in a row. It was amazing. So much fun. But guess what? That was at Kansas. If we would have stormed the basketball court, I'd have been pissed.

We have the opportunity and ability to beat anyone. Even today with our so called lesser quality players. We are still better than the majority of the schools out there. It will never be a big enough shock to storm the field in Lincoln's Memorial Stadium. Never.

We've torn down the goal posts several times in the 80s and 90s. They would go down O Street or end up in Broyhill, or somewhere else on campus. I think one of the fraternities had a chunk of goalpost for a while when I was going to school. They talked like they did, anyway.

Again, all this "we're better than that" talk flies in the face of Husker history. We were charging the field during the Scoring Explosion days, during the late 80s, during the Championship Years in the 90s, and we'll do it again this year if we beat Oklahoma. There is nothing dishonorable about it, it's just dangerous and one day something is going to happen to someone when they're not where they should be.

We are better than that. We shouldn't have been bringing them down in the 80s. Nebraska doesn't need to prove anything. What reason would we have to storm the field and bring down the goal post other than to say we beat someone we shouldn't have???? You do stuff like this when you "shock" college football. I went to Kansas and while I was in school we brought the goals posts down 3 years in a row. It was amazing. So much fun. But guess what? That was at Kansas. If we would have stormed the basketball court, I'd have been pissed.

We have the opportunity and ability to beat anyone. Even today with our so called lesser quality players. We are still better than the majority of the schools out there. It will never be a big enough shock to storm the field in Lincoln's Memorial Stadium. Never.

OK. I'm not going to tell you that your opinion is wrong, but you're in for a fair amount of disappointment coming up. It's going to happen again.

Like you, I would prefer to see everyone stay off the field, but not because it would besmirch our honor - I just think it's an unsafe environment, and someday someone is going to get seriously hurt.

OK. I'm not going to tell you that your opinion is wrong, but you're in for a fair amount of disappointment coming up. It's going to happen again.

Like you, I would prefer to see everyone stay off the field, but not because it would besmirch our honor - I just think it's an unsafe environment, and someday someone is going to get seriously hurt.

:laughpound Sounds good Knapplc.

So cry me a river, Guy. What are we supposed to do, hold a vigil for their players? Pass the hat for bail money?

What's with this whining about Miami and Oklahoma players? Do you know any of them? I know a former OU athlete. The tales he'll tell you of their athletic dorms in the 80s will curl your toes. And you're wringing your hands because SOME Husker fans threw gibes their way?

In your perfect world, what should have happened?

I have no idea what you're talking about. You're wildly overreacting. Again.

Rather than crying rivers and wringing hands, I was at most mildly amused at the notion that Nebraska fans were sympathetic and non-judgemental when rival football programs faced disciplinary problems.

But hey, you just cited an OU athlete who observed behavior that would curl my toes, so thanks for proving my point.

In my perfect world there would be far less righteous indignation by people who aren't that righteous themselves.

I have no idea what you're talking about. You're wildly overreacting. Again.

I don't think I'm "wildly" overreacting. I would say "mildly" overreacting. This happens a lot when I drink, so the good news is it'll stop sometime next spring.

Rather than crying rivers and wringing hands, I was at most mildly amused at the notion that Nebraska fans were sympathetic and non-judgemental when rival football programs faced disciplinary problems.

But hey, you just cited an OU athlete who observed behavior that would curl my toes, so thanks for proving my point.

If you're implying that I was citing ALL Nebraska fans, you're missing the point.

In my perfect world there would be far less righteous indignation by people who aren't that righteous themselves.

Like the righteous indignation you're displaying at the churlish behavior of Nebraska fans? I agree - it would be good if there were far less of that.

dedhoarse

I know in the past when Nebraska won big games...it was expected...so the celebration was big, but never crazy.

Now that winning big games against top rated teams is a bit of a memory...if it happens this year...will the fans rush the field like other schools or will it stay civil in the stands?

I'd love a chance to rush on the field!

I did it when we won in College Station in 2002..that was crazy..oh...and dangerous. :woo

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hard to say. If we beat Oklahoma, and they're undefeated coming in, I wouldn't be surprised to see fans on the field afterward.

I always hate when that happens, though. It's dangerous, and stupid stuff can happen because that's not where fans belong. Mixing super-excited (and possibly inebriated) fans with players of a losing team on the field is a great way to have stupid/bad stuff happen.

See: Kellen Huston.

LOL as bad as that was to our image as a program that was an awesome clothesline!