Shawn Watson on Zac Lee

I honestly don't understand why everyone has been so worried about Zac Lee starting at QB. I've been looking forward to this guy starting for 2 years now, and have no doubts that he has all the tools he'll need to be successful at NU.

There are some obvious holes that need filled on offense. And the young guys will need to pull together quickly to prove they can pick up the slack for the departed seniors. But I honestly don't think Zac Lee will be the weak link in that process.

In fact, I think Husker fans will be pleasantly surprised by the numbers Lee puts up this year. Who knows, with his added speed and scrambling ability, he may even approach Ganz's record 3,826 total yds in a season.

He will do just fine.

I would be more worried about the WR corps. There are three WRs that - in my opinion - have not lived up to their hype. Hopefully they can create that necessary link with Lee and break through this season.

agree, the WR's and offensive line need to step up, the other position play will take care of itself.

I think Lee should do just fine. He will of course have to get his feet under him in the first games but thats what they are for anyway. Hopefully he will be ready by Va Tech because that is going to be one heckuva atmosphere and hes going to need all his focus by then if he wants to stay out of the quicksand.

I think people have forgotten that Lee was the #1 QB coming out of a very legitamite JR college in 2007. It's not like he's some guy we've heard of the past few years who has never thrown a college pass; he has experience playing against very decent competition and fared very well (3471 yards, 31 TDs). I think we're going to be just fine.

Keller's problem wasn't that he wasn't humble or unwilling to learn, it was that by the time he got here the program was such a cluster that just about nothing was going to work. Keller had nothing to do with the defensive implosion or the need to constantly play catch-up.

If we'd have had a decent defense around him, Keller would have been just fine. I'm not going to go so far as to say he'd have been the second coming of Zac Taylor, but he would have been sufficient for our needs.

With all the hype being playing out about him, lets hope he's not another Keller. Keller had a lot of hype coming in but he basically didn't pan out.

This is what concerns me. Lee has this experience while Witt didn't. Witt was the backup QB last year while Lee was #3. I realize since his time here Lee has dealt with some injuries, but he was behind a player with no JuCo experience. I hate to say he's the starting QB by default, but to some extent he is. Then, I think back to when we took a backup LB and converted him to QB. The rumblings in my head thinking of how the QB spot has transformed the past 6-8 months scares the crap out of me. I hope he plays lights out this year, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't concerned about the QB play.

Keller's problem wasn't that he wasn't humble or unwilling to learn, it was that by the time he got here the program was such a cluster that just about nothing was going to work. Keller had nothing to do with the defensive implosion or the need to constantly play catch-up.

If we'd have had a decent defense around him, Keller would have been just fine. I'm not going to go so far as to say he'd have been the second coming of Zac Taylor, but he would have been sufficient for our needs.

True but.....that doesn't explain Ganz' success the latter part of the season after Keller's injury. Yes our defense sucked and I think we know why but Ganz was able to move the ball and rather well I might add.

But we're getting off tangent here. I hope Zac Lee is a huge success for us. I actually hope he's the second coming of Fraz-uhhhh!

The problem with Keller was that he didn't know the system very well. He was brought here and just inserted in hopes that he would do okay.

I mean, Lucky caught so many passes that season because Keller didn't know his progressions, panicked, and threw it to Lucky.

Not entirely true either. Didn't he have to spend a year on the Scout team because of NCAA rules about transfers?