Marquise Hill

Hill didn't de-committ. His offer was revoked. He'll end up at Arkansas to play with his cousin.

No challenging ya, TigerFan, but why was his offer pulled? My understanding is that the staff got the hint that he wasn't going MU. Not saying that is true, but I have been hearing that for a bit.

MU staff had become tired of his constant unofficial visit to other schools over the summer. According to those who know Hill he got caught up in the recruiting game and was enjoying all off the attention that goes with it. At the MU camp in St. Louis Hill was in attendance talking with other recruites about MU, but then when it came time for Hill to tell other coaches he was not interested in their school he couldn't. The MU coaches revoked the offer after telling him to decide if he was committed or not.

Hill didn't de-committ. His offer was revoked. He'll end up at Arkansas to play with his cousin.

No challenging ya, TigerFan, but why was his offer pulled? My understanding is that the staff got the hint that he wasn't going MU. Not saying that is true, but I have been hearing that for a bit.

MU staff had become tired of his constant unofficial visit to other schools over the summer. According to those who know Hill he got caught up in the recruiting game and was enjoying all off the attention that goes with it. At the MU camp in St. Louis Hill was in attendance talking with other recruites about MU, but then when it came time for Hill to tell other coaches he was not interested in their school he couldn't. The MU coaches revoked the offer after telling him to decide if he was committed or not.

Seems like a pretty lame reason if you ask me. So what he's taking unofficials, many kids continue to take visits after they verbal. What, where they afraid he would de-commit so to save face they drop him first? Something tells me Hill was long gone regardless.

Who does Mizzou think they are anyway, USC? Their sh!t or get off the pot stance seems a little bold for a team that still has zero BCS bowls games, no Big 12 titles, and who haven't even been able to win their division outright.

I'm sure Tiger fans would love to argue, but losing a speedy instate recruit like Hill is a big deal. And to pretend otherwise is as dumb as Nebraska fans pretending that losing Keston Terry won't hurt our 2010 class, or that losing Trevor Robinson to ND in 2008 was no big deal. Just because you say it, doesn't make it true!

Thanks Gris.

Seems like a pretty lame reason if you ask me. So what he's taking unofficials, many kids continue to take visits after they verbal. What, where they afraid he would de-commit so to save face they drop him first? Something tells me Hill was long gone regardless.

Who does Mizzou think they are anyway, USC? Their sh!t or get off the pot stance seems a little bold for a team that still has zero BCS bowls games, no Big 12 titles, and who haven't even been able to win their division outright.

I'm sure Tiger fans would love to argue, but losing a speedy instate recruit like Hill is a big deal. And to pretend otherwise is as dumb as Nebraska fans pretending that losing Keston Terry won't hurt our 2010 class, or that losing Trevor Robinson to ND in 2008 was no big deal. Just because you say it, doesn't make it true!

That's why he was offered in the first place. But his continued visits prompted the staff to tell him that they could not hold his offer and reject some other kid who wanted to committ. The class is filling fast with 13 committs already. Hill needed to make a REAL commitment or risk not having an offer remaining. Pretty simple.

That's why he was offered in the first place. But his continued visits prompted the staff to tell him that they could not hold his offer and reject some other kid who wanted to committ. The class is filling fast with 13 committs already. Hill needed to make a REAL commitment or risk not having an offer remaining. Pretty simple.

The attitude of the MU staff in this context is identical to what we hear Bo's is. Don't commit unless you mean it. Frankly, I like it, even if it costs us some higher ranked kids in this class.

The attitude of the MU staff in this context is identical to what we hear Bo's is. Don't commit unless you mean it. Frankly, I like it, even if it costs us some higher ranked kids in this class.

:yeah

After reading some of his comments about why he has interests in other teams, I started to think." Is this what we've come to? Recruiting just on ability and not paying attention to character or intelligence?"

It may take a lot longer to build this thing right..but we need to recruit quality individuals team players and longtime fans of the team they sign with.

offer was pulled because they have been recruiting kids that fit their system and are better players. gave the instate kid a chance but with program's success offensively and stacked with very good wr talent, it is no longer a good fit. his cousin went to AR most likely destination or a couple buds are going to MN. GP and staff are very good at evaluating talent and do well with kids who arn't highly rated but do well on the field. With top facilities and location in North plus a very successful run, don't have to wait around for kids anymore. if the instate kids come, grt if not others will. besides when you get past the 4 and 5 stars, it's a crap shoot anyway.

Big 12 North schools arn't destination schools like big two in south, success will come with whoever evaluates talent the best and then coaches them up once they hit campus. GP has proven he can do it, the fat man is darn good as well, Hawkins and prince, not so much. jury is out on pellini, only time will tell as last yr it was all callahan's kids. I

know we can get in a pissing match over who is better, yadda, yadda, blah, blah blah. but why? about to hit camp and we shall see soon enough. it will be entertaining and no one actual dies if team doesn't do well. so it will be fun.

offer was pulled because they have been recruiting kids that fit their system and are better players. gave the instate kid a chance but with program's success offensively and stacked with very good wr talent, it is no longer a good fit. his cousin went to AR most likely destination or a couple buds are going to MN. GP and staff are very good at evaluating talent and do well with kids who arn't highly rated but do well on the field. With top facilities and location in North plus a very successful run, don't have to wait around for kids anymore. if the instate kids come, grt if not others will. besides when you get past the 4 and 5 stars, it's a crap shoot anyway.

Big 12 North schools arn't destination schools like big two in south, success will come with whoever evaluates talent the best and then coaches them up once they hit campus. GP has proven he can do it, the fat man is darn good as well, Hawkins and prince, not so much. jury is out on pellini, only time will tell as last yr it was all callahan's kids. I

know we can get in a pissing match over who is better, yadda, yadda, blah, blah blah. but why? about to hit camp and we shall see soon enough. it will be entertaining and no one actual dies if team doesn't do well. so it will be fun.

Yo rcruter, how do you know so much 'bout Misery and why are you here?

:wtf

• 3 weeks later...

Sure sounding like he's going to Arkansas. From today's Arkansas Democrat Gazette...

THE RECRUITING GUY: Off-the-field details sway Hill’s mother

By Richard Davenport

Friday, August 21, 2009

LITTLE ROCK - Arkansas' expressed commitment to helping its football players earn a diploma made a big impression on Rosemary McGee during her July 23 visit to Fayetteville.

McGee, mother of Marquise Hill, a highly recruited receiver/defensive back from St. Louis Trinity, embraced Arkansas' philosophy of wanting athletes to graduate with a master's degree, not a bachelor's degree, during five years at the school.

"Of all of the schools we've visited, Arkansas has the best academic program," said McGee, who met with associate director of academics Waqa Damuni and assistant director of academics Dann Kabala. "Waqa was saying most schools think that when boys get there that they're technically grown and on their own. Arkansas doesn't do that. He said you have to earn your time, space and freedom because their ultimate goal is for the kids to graduate within five years with a master's instead of with a bachelor's degree."”

Hill has received 11 scholarship offers, including ones from Arkansas, UCLA, Missouri, Minnesota, Nebraska and Michigan State. He recently rescinded an oral commitment to Missouri.

"They have it mapped out to a T," McGee said of Arkansas' academic philosophy. "They have to do so many hours of summer school and so many hours of class time. They show all of this on paper."”

Meeting Arkansas' director of high school relations, Dean Campbell, and Coach Bobby Petrino gave McGee peace of mind. Campbell took his time explaining how Arkansas' program works, and Petrino made McGee feel as though he would take good care of her son.

"He has an open-door policy and that impressed me," McGee said of Petrino, "especially since Marquise would be six hours from home. He needs that."

Recruiting coordinator and running backs coach Tim Horton gave the Hill and McGee a tour of the campus. It was Horton who spoke to McGee before offering Hill a scholarship.

"I know it's for my son, but it was nice of him to tell me he was going to offer my son," said McGee, who has accompanied her son on trips to Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, OhioState, Oklahoma and Iowa.

One face immediately recognized by Hill and McGee was that of UA freshman running back Ronnie Wingo Jr., who is Hill's cousin. Hill and McGee ran into Wingo before meeting with the academic staff.

Wingo turned down an invitation to sit in on the meeting.

"He said, 'No, those people don't play,'" Hill said. "I knew then they were serious. We just busted out laughing."”

Arkansas' academic staff won points with McGee when it detailed Arkansas' efforts on time management, which were laid out in a booklet.

"It starts on Sunday and ends on Saturday," McGee said. "It starts at 6 a.m. and ends at 10 or 11 p.m. Every day of the week your time is mapped out. You have a workout at this time, class at this time. So anytime Coach Horton, Coach Campbell or Coach Petrino wants to get in touch with a player, they can just pull out the binder."”

Petrino's attention to detail and interest in Hill as an individual won over McGee.

"So many people refer to Marquise as Ronnie's cousin," McGee said. "But Coach made me feel good when he asked Marquise if he was left-handed, and Marquise said no, and he said, 'I was just trying to figure out why you block with your left hand instead of your right.'’ That told me that he takes the time to look at every kid, so I appreciated that."”

McGee said she also appreciated Campbell's desire to be as informative as possible.

"I told Dean about the other visits and how everyone did things differently," McGee said. "He was asking me what they could have done differently to make things better."

Missouri is on a very successful run? Your definition of very successful must be different than what NU considers to be "very successful".

McGee, mother of Marquise Hill, a highly recruited receiver/defensive back from St. Louis Trinity, embraced Arkansas' philosophy of wanting athletes to graduate with a master's degree, not a bachelor's degree, during five years at the school.

Petrino has a "plan" for his players to attain a master's degree in five years? Bullsh**!

To get a master's degree in five years means you would have to take at least 18 credit hours every semester and summer school every year on top of that. There is no way the average student, let alone a football player, could maintain that type of pace academically.

P.S. I know it can be done...but out of 100 students that would attempt this...maybe five would make it.

Petrino has a "plan" for his players to attain a master's degree in five years? Bullsh**!

To get a master's degree in five years means you would have to take at least 18 credit hours every semester and summer school every year on top of that. There is no way the average student, let alone a football player, could maintain that type of pace academically.

P.S. I know it can be done...but out of 100 students that would attempt this...maybe five would make it.

Going to have to agree with Jen here. I took 5.5 years to get my masters and only because I actually took 1 less summber session than she mentions above. I also have to admit that it is a b!tch and with sports it is damn near impossible. Every hour of the day is planned and football has quite a few more practices than we did. Petrino is a car salesman and full of feces.