Is everyone buying in the Baylor Hype?

As far as I know, RG3 doesn't play defense, so I have a hard time jumping on the Baylor bandwagon. However, I think Baylor will make a bowl game this year.

No Griffin does not play D, but they do have a potential 1st rounder at LB in Pawelek! I will be there in full force and beg the Husker Nation, especially those in DFW area, to make the trip and make this a "Husker Home Game"!

They have 3 guys that are substantially better than everyone we have, besides Suh! (WR Gettis)

This could be the game that makes or breaks our season....

No, of course the Baylor game shouldn't be as difficult as Missouri or Kansas and the Bears aren't exactly going to light up the Big 12 this year but I do think they will win a game that they are not expected to win. As long as it's not against Nebraska, good for them. The Huskers should be favored in Waco and yes, we should win that game but while fans may chalk up Baylor as an automatic win, I hope our players don't because the Bears are going to be good enough (I expect) that they could make it an embarrassing afternoon in Waco. Not saying they will but this game is not the slam dunk it used to be. We didn't exactly blow them out in Lincoln last year.

They are starting to recruit (and even get commitments from) players they wouldn't have gotten a sniff from a few years ago. Two 4* DBs so far have committed this year and they are in on some more 4* guys--when they've never had more than a single 4* player until last year when Briles landed three of them. They are even beating out Tech and A&M for guys. It's been a long time since that happened consistently.

A bowl bid might be a tough road this year because they do play in the Big 12 South after all, but if this team was in the North I think they'd be good enough to qualify. If Art Briles sticks around for a while they probably will get to a bowl within the next 2-3 years. This team reminds me of Kansas from a few years back when they were just starting to get things turned around; KU used to be an automatic win but not anymore.

Baylor is still Baylor (remember when we used to say "Kansas is still Kansas"?) and being in the Big 12 South is going to make it tough for them to ever rise too far but the Husker football team can't take this game lightly even if most of the fans do because this has trap game written all over it, especially with Oklahoma the next week.

That said, I hope we crush them mercilessly and I want to make it up to Waco to see it. The volleyball team is in Austin to play Texas that night so I was hoping to make it to both but last I checked the Baylor game time was not set, and the volleyball team I coach will have a match that day at a time yet to be determined.

We talk about this at work everyday and my reply every single time.... "it's still Baylor". As much as I want to see them get into bowls and 8+ win season, it won't happen. With them being in the south and having to play OU, OSU, and UT every year, it's going to be another rough ride down in Waco.

Good point.

OU and Texas are untouchable --- no one in the north has a hope against them in the foreseeable future.

The way that A&M is recruiting, in due course they will be very, very competitive --- likely better than any team in the North (currently no... but within a year or two almost certainly). Oklahoma State and Texas Tech are better than any team in the North too. so...

Baylor is up against it. They are the last program in the B12 South. They will finish last in the South. Now ... if Baylor were in the B12 North, they would be legitimate contenders for the title... or, at the very least, outside shots. They are comparable to NU and MU now (maybe not quite there, but close enough to be in the same category) and just a hair below the level of Kansas.

I think that any team in the B12 North from this next year would end up 5th or 6th in the B12 South. The disparity is huge.

Because Baylor is in the B12 South, their record will not reflect how good they are. They are a solid program now. Not far behind NU.

What's the hype? That they wont put a up a turd for a record? I think Baylor is rebuilding and taking the right steps with a good coach and some good players. They'll be competitive and will be in games most of the year. They are beatable, but they are not an automatic win.

Tickets in Waco are so freakin expensive... I may take the 100 mile drive

We talk about this at work everyday and my reply every single time.... "it's still Baylor". As much as I want to see them get into bowls and 8+ win season, it won't happen. With them being in the south and having to play OU, OSU, and UT every year, it's going to be another rough ride down in Waco.

Good point.

OU and Texas are untouchable --- no one in the north has a hope against them in the foreseeable future.

The way that A&M is recruiting, in due course they will be very, very competitive --- likely better than any team in the North (currently no... but within a year or two almost certainly). Oklahoma State and Texas Tech are better than any team in the North too. so...

Baylor is up against it. They are the last program in the B12 South. They will finish last in the South. Now ... if Baylor were in the B12 North, they would be legitimate contenders for the title... or, at the very least, outside shots. They are comparable to NU and MU now (maybe not quite there, but close enough to be in the same category) and just a hair below the level of Kansas.

I think that any team in the B12 North from this next year would end up 5th or 6th in the B12 South. The disparity is huge.

Because Baylor is in the B12 South, their record will not reflect how good they are. They are a solid program now. Not far behind NU.

So, should we just pack it in now seeings as how there's no real point in trying to compete against the mighty South?

As far as I know, RG3 doesn't play defense, so I have a hard time jumping on the Baylor bandwagon. However, I think Baylor will make a bowl game this year.

No Griffin does not play D, but they do have a potential 1st rounder at LB in Pawelek! I will be there in full force and beg the Husker Nation, especially those in DFW area, to make the trip and make this a "Husker Home Game"!

They have 3 guys that are substantially better than everyone we have, besides Suh! (WR Gettis)

This could be the game that makes or breaks our season....

I marked this game on the calender as soon as I saw it was on Halloween. So make that two Bobs that will be in attendance! Look out for me, I will be the short white guy in all red. :hellloooo

I remember watching NU's last trip to Waco, and it was not a pretty win! Now that I'm an hour or so away, there is no way I'm missing this game. I just hope they make it a night game again, that would make for a hell of a crowd! I might even bring my helmet and everything if that's the case. I'm talking full on, philly fanatic style nerdiness!

No, not really. Look, Griffin is a great talent and has insane speed. He hurt us a couple times last year. On the other hand, Baylor lost two VERY good offensive linemen and has SERIOUS questions on defense. If Nebraska contains Griffin for the most part, this game isn't close. If he can get loose and make some big plays it could be tough, but I'm pretty sure Bo knows this and will be spying him the entire game. Suh should cause havoc in their backfield.

No, not really. Look, Griffin is a great talent and has insane speed. He hurt us a couple times last year. On the other hand, Baylor lost two VERY good offensive linemen and has SERIOUS questions on defense. If Nebraska contains Griffin for the most part, this game isn't close. If he can get loose and make some big plays it could be tough, but I'm pretty sure Bo knows this and will be spying him the entire game. Suh should cause havoc in their backfield.

What is the "offensive line" you speak of?

Because it's my understanding that the Baylor QB is so great he doesn't even need an "offensive line" or WR, TE or RB's for that matter.

It's just him against the defense and since he's from Krypton...

09/05/09 at Wake Forest LOSS

09/19/09 vs. Connecticut ????

09/26/09 vs. Northwestern State WIN

10/03/09 vs. Kent State WIN

10/10/09 at Oklahoma LOSS

10/17/09 at Iowa State WIN

10/24/09 vs. Oklahoma State LOSS

10/31/09 vs. Nebraska LOSS

11/07/09 at Missouri LOSS

11/14/09 vs. Texas LOSS

11/21/09 at Texas A&M WIN

11/28/09 vs. Texas Tech ????

09/05/09 at Wake Forest LOSS

09/19/09 vs. Connecticut ????

09/26/09 vs. Northwestern State WIN

10/03/09 vs. Kent State WIN

10/10/09 at Oklahoma LOSS

10/17/09 at Iowa State WIN

10/24/09 vs. Oklahoma State LOSS

10/31/09 vs. Nebraska LOSS

11/07/09 at Missouri LOSS

11/14/09 vs. Texas LOSS

11/21/09 at Texas A&M WIN

11/28/09 vs. Texas Tech ????

We'll find out about Baylor's defense right away. Wake has lost most of their skill players on offense. Skinner is back and the entire starting O-Line, so if they can get pressure on him they may be OK this year. If they can't, Skinner has the experience and the arm to pick them apart.

Wake lost six of seven starters in their defensive backfield, so don't be surprised to see Baylor put up some points on Wake. If they don't score on WF, that means that WF replaced their losses with some good guys, or Baylor's OFF is... not so good.

We'll have to see what Missouri does before we write them off as a loss for Baylor. Losing all of your skill guys on offense (aside from a very good RB) will put a damper on Missouri's scoring, and they lost three of their front four on defense and Moore from their secondary. If they don't find answers for these lost players, Griffin could run all over the field on these guys.

i see Nebraska winning this game but it won't be a cakewalk. this Griffin kid has the weapon to kill, speed. thats what im worried about the most. i dont know a whole lot about their WR but I do know that if we stop Griffin it'll make winning a whole lot easier. GO BIG RED!!!

Not yet. I've got them at 6-6 this year but I do think they have a legit shot at 8 wins next year.

But people who call last years game between Nebraska and Baylor close and are saying we could be upset in that game are clearly going by the score only.

Last year Baylor scored due to three long runs, two by Griffin and one by their Halfback. All three were given up because of one simple thing - Glenn blowing his assignment and going inside instead of staying outside the end to seal the corner.

Once that blown assignment issue was fixed Baylor barely did anything the rest of the game offensively. Lets look at a few key stats.

- Nebraska scored a touchdown in every quarter, Baylor didn't score after the half.

- in the 2nd half Baylor put up 145 yards, scored zero points and gave up a safety. In the 2nd half Nebraska put up 297 yards, and scored 14 points.

- Baylor had three drives where they failed to get a first down, had zero drives lasting 10 plays or more and zero drives over 4 minutes long. Nebraska had zero drives where they failed to get a first down, had three drives of 10 plays or more and three drives over four minutes long,

- Baylor was 0/10 on third down for the game.

----

Really I'll be surprised if Baylor gets in the endzone twice on us this year. I'm looking for something like a 24-10 win.

Good point.

So, should we just pack it in now seeings as how there's no real point in trying to compete against the mighty South?

Of course not. Never give up. Always fight. And always hope for the best. That said, we are in no way equipped talent-wise to hang with OU or Texas. Could catch them sleeping and with a bad off night and, at the same time, NU plays the best they could possibly play --- and we catch some breaks --- if all that happens then we might have a shot. But... such is very unlikely and, for all intents and purposes, no North team really has much of a shot at the South elite.

Not now. Not in the foreseeable future. It is what it is. Nevertheless cheer on and hope for the best.

Of course not. Never give up. Always fight. And always hope for the best. That said, we are in no way equipped talent-wise to hang with OU or Texas. Could catch them sleeping and with a bad off night and, at the same time, NU plays the best they could possibly play --- and we catch some breaks --- if all that happens then we might have a shot. But... such is very unlikely and, for all intents and purposes, no North team really has much of a shot at the South elite.

Not now. Not in the foreseeable future. It is what it is. Nevertheless cheer on and hope for the best.

I wonder if Kansas State thought this when they beat Texas. Twice.

I wonder if the Wildcats thought this when they beat Oklahoma in the Big XII Championship.

I wonder if Nebraska thought this when they played Michigan in the Alamo Bowl.

I wonder if Boise St. thought this when they played the Sooners in their BCS game.