Is everyone buying in the Baylor Hype?

Oh yeah...Baylor is going to be super-duper great this year... <_<

Is that based on that amazing 4 win season (said wins including victories over stellar teams such as Northwesten State, Washington State, Iowa State and Texas A&M)...

Or maybe it's based on those games they barely lost...like the Missouri or Connecticut game?

Or maybe it's based on this amazing Griffin...you know...the guy that ranked 12th in the Big 12 in passing behind such amazing talents are Cody Hawkins and Austen Arnaud...and 10th in total offense finishing ahead of only Hawkins and Johnson at A&M?

This is a team that ranked dead last in Passing Offense and 10th in Total Offense in the Big 12....They lost half their DL and half of their DB's and a couple of studs off their OL...

Baylor beat 3 teams with a combined record of 8-29 and and a DII school....the three teams they did beat managed to finish 119th (Washington State) 114th (A&M) and 95th (ISU) in the final NCAA rankings.

Sorry, but beating two pathetic schools (along with the next winner of the B12 North, Iowa State...who was admittedly pathetic last year) and ALMOST beating a couple of other teams does not equal a team on the rise. Hey...ISU ALMOST beat Kansas and ALMOST beat Colorado! Where's the hype for the Cyclones?

Baylor.... <_<

They did almost beat us. That is a fair point.

You are living in a dream world. Fortunately, I saved my mushrooms for later tonight. No doubt Wake will score points this year, but they only return 4 on defense. They lost 4 superstars to the draft. We've out recruited them EVERY year, not to mention we've out recruited Iowa State every year. Wake is a toss up this year. Iowa State...no need for comment. UCONN at home should be a win, and we will be favored. Donald Brown is gone, and he owned everybody.

Don't forget to take into consideration that Briles is now fully implementing his offense. A 2nd year of running a system offense like that is going to do wonders. Arnaud is good. But come on...RGIII was a true freshman who threw 3 picks, and set the NCAA record for passes without an INT. Arnaud did neither.

Well...I guess for a fan of a team that hasn't had a winning record since Big 12 play began, a 4-8 record might seem like a pretty big deal...

I do have one question though...what the heck does Baylor do with all these great recruits? I mean...you out-recruit Wake Forest yet they manage to win consistently while Baylor consistently, for want of a better work...sucks. You out-recruit Iowa State yet the Cyclones have at least been to a couple of bowl games over the past decade while Baylor consistenly, for want of a better word, sucks.

As for Griffin vs Arnaud...Arnaud threw 150 more passes than Griffin. Hell, he almost completed more passes than Griffin even attempted. Arnaud also clocked your guy in total offense. All of this while splitting time with Phillip Bates for the first six games. During the non-conference season while Griffin and Baylor were kicking around Northwestern State and running up their stats, Arnaud was only getting half the playing time. If he had gotten all the snaps throughout the entire year...well...he would have been better than Griffin but, since he already was, I guess I've made my point.

WTF? Socially conservative = sucks at football????

Nebraska isn't exactly perceived as left wing, bra twirling, atheist, abortion lovers...

I can't wait to shut the mouths of bandwagon fans. They seem to be one's that have this excuse for Baylor more often than most. 29 days until that happens.

1) She was making a joke. You're still riled by the disrespect from some others, but this was (I'm pretty sure) supposed to be somewhat funny.

2) Nebraska is no longer a right wing bastion. Gallup's latest shows we're a battlground state, leaning left. In context for Nebraska, that means we're flaming liberals. :)

Nebraska is by no means a battleground state. Omaha? Maybe. The rest of the state? Absolutely not.

You are living in a dream world. Fortunately, I saved my mushrooms for later tonight. No doubt Wake will score points this year, but they only return 4 on defense. They lost 4 superstars to the draft. We've out recruited them EVERY year, not to mention we've out recruited Iowa State every year. Wake is a toss up this year. Iowa State...no need for comment. UCONN at home should be a win, and we will be favored. Donald Brown is gone, and he owned everybody.

Don't forget to take into consideration that Briles is now fully implementing his offense. A 2nd year of running a system offense like that is going to do wonders. Arnaud is good. But come on...RGIII was a true freshman who threw 3 picks, and set the NCAA record for passes without an INT. Arnaud did neither.

Well...I guess for a fan of a team that hasn't had a winning record since Big 12 play began, a 4-8 record might seem like a pretty big deal...

I do have one question though...what the heck does Baylor do with all these great recruits? I mean...you out-recruit Wake Forest yet they manage to win consistently while Baylor consistently, for want of a better work...sucks. You out-recruit Iowa State yet the Cyclones have at least been to a couple of bowl games over the past decade while Baylor consistenly, for want of a better word, sucks.

As for Griffin vs Arnaud...Arnaud threw 150 more passes than Griffin. Hell, he almost completed more passes than Griffin even attempted. Arnaud also clocked your guy in total offense. All of this while splitting time with Phillip Bates for the first six games. During the non-conference season while Griffin and Baylor were kicking around Northwestern State and running up their stats, Arnaud was only getting half the playing time. If he had gotten all the snaps throughout the entire year...well...he would have been better than Griffin but, since he already was, I guess I've made my point.

man, i hope this Baylor ISU game is on TV, might be the B12 game of the year, new rivalry starting up right here on HB!

and yeah, if this were flag football, i'd be all on the baylor bandwagon. they do have five or six really great players. However, this isn't the first time Baylor has had a few good players. The thing is, each team consists of 100+ players, and that is where baylor has always had issues- having some players but not so much a team. What I saw last year wasn't much different other than the fact that Griffen has a chance to be Vince Young impact-wise, and most teams never get a player like that, let alone baylor.

Just looking to get everyone's thoughts on our game in Waco this year...I for one am not ready to give Baylor all this respect..yes..they have a great quarterback and a few other playmakers...but from what they showed last year I can't see them being a more difficult game than Missouri....or Kansas...

Any thoughts?

It's funny how you lump them in with Kansas- a team that will likely beat Nebraska in Lawrence. But to answer your question- I think Baylor will finish 6-6 and perhaps go to their first bowl game as a member of the Big 12. If that's buying into the hype, then I guess I am.

Baylor will be 7-5 with losses to Wake Forest, Texas, Nebraska, Oklahoma, and Oklahoma State.

Wake Forest lost a heck of a lot of Seniors. I was watching their game against Miami replayed on ESPN U yesterday, and they had 8 seniors starting on defense. That's tough.

Serious questions on defense is obsurd at least for this year. The key to a good defense is having playmakers on each level of the defense (line, LB, DB's). Baylor for once in my lifetime has just that.

Phil Taylor, DT: Started at Penn State as a true freshman. 2nd Team Preseason All-Big12 Team. He is Suh's equivalent if there is one.

Joe Pawelek: Led the nation in interceptions and he's a linebacker. Preseason All-American Projected 1st or 2nd rounder.

Jordan Lake, Safety: arguably the best safety, and ranked the hardest hitter by opposing players at the Big 12 media days. Also will be drafted next year, however not as high as Pawelek.

I've never been more confident about Baylor's defense. That said, our D still won't be ranked high due to our offensive power. Teams always find a way to score when you have high powered offenses (Tech, OSU, an now Baylor)

Dude I swear I've seen something along these lines earlier in this thread, almost like something I'd say, oh wait I did in post #33. So you do see someone is agreeing with you on something. However, I say 6-6 but getting left out of a bowl. BUT the program IS getting better. A lot of people said the same things about Texas Tech back in the day, and aren't they the only team to make a bowl game since the formation of the Big XII?

Well, I'm back for those that remember me from a couple months ago barking about Baylor and our improvement. I expected these comments out of Cy and HuskerJen. You both sound like Aggies. I appreciate the respect from most everyone else on this board. The hype in my opinion is about 90% accurate. As a Baylor fan, I haven't expected to go to bowl game in my lifetime as a fan (started following in 1998). This year I FULLY expect a winning a season and then some. Baylor has every bit as much of a reason to be optimistic this year as Nebraska does. You can say you were 4-8 blah, blah, blah CY. We were 2 PLAYS from a bowl game....and playing in the Big 12 South.

Of course, Baylor doesn't have near the talent of OU or Texas, and one of them will likely be Big 12 champs once again. But we do have the developed talent that is comparable to Kansas, Missouri, Colorado, and Texas Tech this year. We have nearly the same schedule as last year, and aside from Texas, OU and Nebraska...every single one of our opponents have a drop off in talent from the year before. Good luck to both our programs this year!....I have a feeling both Nebraska and Baylor are going to make a lot more noise than we have in the past decade.

You expect to go to a bowl game? Somebody offer to take you to the Fiesta Bowl to watch their team play or something?

I almost won 10 million dollars in the Power Ball drawing last week...I was only 2 NUMBERS away from winning it! Hmmm...but for some reason, I think that I would still be classified as a loser. Kinda like Japan was only 2 atomic bombs from winning WWII or Germany was only two miles from the Kremlin....

Now, explain the drop off in talent compared to Baylor for...say...Wake Forest (who shall thrash you) or...how about UConn (who shall thrash you)...or even Iowa State? Heck...Iowa State has a better QB than you do...better receivers than you do...a better line than you do...and better defensive secondary than you do...even better special teams than you do.

I'm putting you at 3-9 this year and thinking you should be glad that Texas A&M is in the same conference you are.

I agree with Cy they will win 3 to 4 games this year. And ISU will beat Baylor because Leonard Johnson will snap Griffin in half, even if its after the play is over.

WTF? Socially conservative = sucks at football????

Nebraska isn't exactly perceived as left wing, bra twirling, atheist, abortion lovers...

I can't wait to shut the mouths of bandwagon fans. They seem to be one's that have this excuse for Baylor more often than most. 29 days until that happens.

1) She was making a joke. You're still riled by the disrespect from some others, but this was (I'm pretty sure) supposed to be somewhat funny.

2) Nebraska is no longer a right wing bastion. Gallup's latest shows we're a battlground state, leaning left. In context for Nebraska, that means we're flaming liberals. :)

Nebraska is by no means a battleground state. Omaha? Maybe. The rest of the state? Absolutely not.

Considering that Omaha comprises 1/4 of the state's population, while the Metro area makes up about 1/2, I'd say the way Omaha votes is pretty important. Omaha and Lincoln combine for roughly half the state's population, and both now lean liberal.

But don't just believe me, and don't just believe Gallup, look at the fact that for the first time in history Nebraska split their Electoral votes in the 2008 election.

Nebraska is by every means a battleground state.

Oh yeah...Baylor is going to be super-duper great this year... <_<

Is that based on that amazing 4 win season (said wins including victories over stellar teams such as Northwesten State, Washington State, Iowa State and Texas A&M)...

Or maybe it's based on those games they barely lost...like the Missouri or Connecticut game?

Or maybe it's based on this amazing Griffin...you know...the guy that ranked 12th in the Big 12 in passing behind such amazing talents are Cody Hawkins and Austen Arnaud...and 10th in total offense finishing ahead of only Hawkins and Johnson at A&M?

This is a team that ranked dead last in Passing Offense and 10th in Total Offense in the Big 12....They lost half their DL and half of their DB's and a couple of studs off their OL...

Baylor beat 3 teams with a combined record of 8-29 and and a DII school....the three teams they did beat managed to finish 119th (Washington State) 114th (A&M) and 95th (ISU) in the final NCAA rankings.

Sorry, but beating two pathetic schools (along with the next winner of the B12 North, Iowa State...who was admittedly pathetic last year) and ALMOST beating a couple of other teams does not equal a team on the rise. Hey...ISU ALMOST beat Kansas and ALMOST beat Colorado! Where's the hype for the Cyclones?

Baylor.... <_<

Cy......... :clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap

Baylor is, and always will be, the biggest loser in the Big 12. The school is too socially conservative and will never be a serious threat.

And, if top notch players in Texas have an option for Texas, Nebraska, Oklahoma or Texas A&M they take that 99 times out of a 100.

Bottom line: Baylor is still the last ditch, last resort, last option for marginal recruits.

Furthermore: Baylor sucks and there is nothing going on now that'll change that....F&%$ the Baylor QB and anyone who loves his trash talking a**.

Well, I'm back for those that remember me from a couple months ago barking about Baylor and our improvement. I expected these comments out of Cy and HuskerJen. You both sound like Aggies. I appreciate the respect from most everyone else on this board. The hype in my opinion is about 90% accurate. As a Baylor fan, I haven't expected to go to bowl game in my lifetime as a fan (started following in 1998). This year I FULLY expect a winning a season and then some. Baylor has every bit as much of a reason to be optimistic this year as Nebraska does. You can say you were 4-8 blah, blah, blah CY. We were 2 PLAYS from a bowl game....and playing in the Big 12 South.

Of course, Baylor doesn't have near the talent of OU or Texas, and one of them will likely be Big 12 champs once again. But we do have the developed talent that is comparable to Kansas, Missouri, Colorado, and Texas Tech this year. We have nearly the same schedule as last year, and aside from Texas, OU and Nebraska...every single one of our opponents have a drop off in talent from the year before. Good luck to both our programs this year!....I have a feeling both Nebraska and Baylor are going to make a lot more noise than we have in the past decade.

So since Baylor won 4 games last year they are going to win 6 and be bowl eligible and Nebraska is going to win the National Championship since 8 years ago we played in the game and lost????

Just saying......

Seriously guys, did any of you even watch any film of Griffin? Did you notice that the reason his completion percentage was so high was because he completed over 60% of his passes on routes that were shorter than 10 yards to TE and RB. For Christ sake, I could complete a number of those passes. Robert Griffin is nothing more than a track star that knows where his checkdowns are. He's like Sam Keller with a 40 time....just dump it to Lucky and we'll be fine right???

Someone before mentioned Tommie Frazier and Vince Young and RG in the same sentence, are you f'ing kidding me? I am certain that he is faster than those two, but he is not in the same class of player. Let alone his offensive line is nothing compared to those of the Pipeline in the 90s or UT several years ago or now.

ONE PLAYER CANNOT MAKE A TEAM WIN IN FOOTBALL!!

Let's look at the schedule for Baylor last year...

August 28 No. 23 Wake Forest L 41-13 0-1 (0-0)

September 6 Northwestern State W 51-6 1-1 (0-0)

September 12 Washington State W 45-17 2-1 (0-0)

September 19 at Connecticut L 31-28 2-2 (0-0)

October 4 No. 1 Oklahoma L 49-17 2-3 (0-1)

October 11 Iowa State W 38-10 3-3 (1-1)

October 18 at No. 8 Oklahoma State L 34-6 3-4 (1-2)

October 25 at Nebraska L 32-20 3-5 (1-3)

November 1 No. 14 Missouri L 31-28 3-6 (1-4)

November 8 at No. 4 Texas L 45-21 3-7 (1-5)

November 15 Texas A&M W 41-21 4-7 (2-5)

November 29 at No. 7 Texas Tech L 35-28 4-8 (2-6)

So they were murdered by Wake Forest at home a team they are considering an automatic win on the road this year, hahahaha! Plus, you tell me which B12 teams they are going to beat this year?

Iowa State and Texas A&M are all I see, and neither of those is a sure thing. So they are going 4-0 in the OOC having to travel to Wake Forest.......not going to happen...

Nevermind, I just realized that one fast player that is really just a RB at QB can make a team great. :sarcasm Jammal Lord without an offensive line??? How good would that have been?