Lawrence Phillips

JGS30

Yeah, here's what I hate about anything involving LP (I mean, besides the news itself, which is never good). They always HAVE to equate him with NU. I don't see anything mentioned about VT when seeing things about Vick, and I rarely see anything about USC when OJ is brought up.

Good grief. He isn't a part of Nebraska anymore, and he's pissed away multiple chances by everyone who's given him one, not just NU. Like someone else said, I stopped caring anything about him a long time ago.

Maybe "they" link LP to Nebraska more than Vick to VT or OJ to USC mainly because that's where he had most of his success. (The other two made more of a name for themselves after college).

I however, prefer that it's because it's more noteworthy to have played for Dear Old Nebraska U than some NFL team.

I really enjoyed watching him play..I guess it really was at a high price to us all.

Poor Poor LP. Handed a free education, the opportunity to play at the time the most renowned football program in the country, to play for one of the greatest coachs in football, to play in the NFL, and on and on and on.

He knew right from wrong, what he could do and what he couldn't. His enviroment caused all this.

What a load of crap.

He is a thug, gangster peice of crap. He does not deserve our consideration. He destroyed the good name of the greatest Huskers of all time.

He made the choices, he did the deeds, now do the time and go away.

No sympathy from me, I wish I had never heard his name or his useless ass crossing the threshold of Nebraska football.

Total Disgrace, and yes just like herpes, he just keeps showing up.

My last comments on the idiot. I wish there was never another thread on this waste of a human being.

And yes that is how I really feel.

Poor Poor LP. Handed a free education, the opportunity to play at the time the most renowned football program in the country, to play for one of the greatest coachs in football, to play in the NFL, and on and on and on.

He knew right from wrong, what he could do and what he couldn't. His enviroment caused all this.

What a load of crap.

He is a thug, gangster peice of crap. He does not deserve our consideration. He destroyed the good name of the greatest Huskers of all time.

He made the choices, he did the deeds, now do the time and go away.

No sympathy from me, I wish I had never heard his name or his useless ass crossing the threshold of Nebraska football.

Total Disgrace, and yes just like herpes, he just keeps showing up.

My last comments on the idiot. I wish there was never another thread on this waste of a human being.

And yes that is how I really feel.

I don't know if what I feel for him is sympathy.

And for some reason, I've been madder that we kept Christian Peter on the team back then.

I just know..that even with what Nebraska/Osborne gave him..I wouldn't have traded lives with him.

It was difficult at the time for me to support Dr. Tom's decision to keep giving LP another chance...But it did give me a new understanding of what kind of person Ozzy is...I also wonder if he realizes that it wasn't just HIS reputation he was gambling with.

Yea 37 you would have.

You would have taken the opportunity and done something good with it. Look at Dwayne Wade, Shaq.

I know it is politically correct to say things.

But I have known people that grew up on the wrong side of the tracks, worked with them in the Marine Corps on a daily basis, and every single one knew right from wrong. Learning to accept responsiblity for your actions is the key. He refused to, felt he was special, that he was owed something. Well now he is getting what he is owed.

Christian Peter is another, but at some point in time you learn. I think maybe he is. LP never will.

It is good to be forgiving, and one mistake or two I can understand, we all make mistakes, but this guy has chapters of them, and most likely a lot we have never heard.

Good people try to understand and I know where you are coming from.

But I have stopped being good when it comes to LP.

Yea 37 you would have.

You would have taken the opportunity and done something good with it. Look at Dwayne Wade, Shaq.

But I have known people that grew up on the wrong side of the tracks, worked with them in the Marine Corps on a daily basis, and every single one knew right from wrong. Learning to accept responsiblity for your actions is the key. He refused to, felt he was special, that he was owed something. Well now he is getting what he is owed.

Christian Peter is another, but at some point in time you learn. I think maybe he is. LP never will.

No..I wouldn't.

Not if it meant I would have never met my family, or fathered the greatest kid I've ever met...Or had the close relationships I had with both of my older Brothers..and Sister..and gazillion aunts, uncles, and cousins..

I don't know much about Wade..But I think Shaq had both parents in his life..Wasn't his Dad a "higher up" in the Navy?

There's a humongous difference between having no parents and being born on the wrong side of some railroad tracks.

The concept of an inability to recognize Cause and effect (or right from wrong) was very difficult for me to fathom in that class I took for the United Way..I'd never been exposed to anything like that in small-town Nebraska..I think I only had to turn down drugs once in my life up to that point. I didn't get into my first fight until I was attacked my Freshman year at UNL outside Nebraska Bookstore. And all my friends lived with both parents in the same household.

It's hard for me not to approach this with anything but a scientific curiosity..I don't care about fault or that he "gets what's coming to him"..It's just amazing to me how the brain works/develops and how we can learn from this to help prevent this behavior from becoming more prevalent.

I do think it would have been more scary if he would have gone through military training and learned how to kill more efficiently...

Number one..I seriously doubt he would have lasted more than a few days...

B ) Even if he somehow did, I don't think they could have ever reached him.

Now..Given the nurturing I had as a child..and if I could have had the physical gifts and "killer instincts" LP had..Who knows how far I could've gone?

(I probably would have lost everything but my memories to a tricky Lawyer or Agent)

My intentions were not in any way negative here guys. I was a big Lawrence Phillips fan in the 90's. He was one of the best pure talents I've ever seen at the RB position. The guy could flat out play.

As I stated earlier, it was on sports center and I was shocked that they're still reporting stories on this guy. Maybe it's because the guy was so good and he has fallen so far.

I think we can put this thread to rest.

The Nebraska stations are still reporting stuff on Thunder Collins. As for the national media always associating him with Nebraska, well that is because he kept screwing up to ever have success anywhere else. Just like the bad, it comes with the good as well. Anytime someone nationally mentions Brooke Berringer, they always associate him with Nebraska. I heard on the national radio this morning about Kyle Orton wearing #18 for the Broncos in memory of Berringer, and yes they did associate him with Nebraska. Come on guys. You can't have your cake and eat it to. If we're willing to take the good, we have to be willing to take the bad.

The Nebraska stations are still reporting stuff on Thunder Collins. As for the national media always associating him with Nebraska, well that is because he kept screwing up to ever have success anywhere else. Just like the bad, it comes with the good as well. Anytime someone nationally mentions Brooke Berringer, they always associate him with Nebraska. I heard on the national radio this morning about Kyle Orton wearing #18 for the Broncos in memory of Berringer, and yes they did associate him with Nebraska. Come on guys. You can't have your cake and eat it to. If we're willing to take the good, we have to be willing to take the bad.

I think most everyone has been pretty willing to take the LP bad with the good. Speaking for myself, I'm just done with the bad. We had him for three years, and we've been "paying for it" four times as long now.

You have to wonder, when is it over? Thankfully it seems like we'll have only one more news cycle with LP - when he's actually sentenced. From then we won't hear about him for years and years, until he's released from prison. But if/when he's released, and they talk about "former NFL and Nebraska player Lawrence Phillips," at that point you would have to agree that it's too much, yes? Or is it never too much, and once he's been part of the program, it's OK to associate him with us 20, 30, 40 years later?

I think most everyone has been pretty willing to take the LP bad with the good. Speaking for myself, I'm just done with the bad. We had him for three years, and we've been "paying for it" four times as long now.

You have to wonder, when is it over? Thankfully it seems like we'll have only one more news cycle with LP - when he's actually sentenced. From then we won't hear about him for years and years, until he's released from prison. But if/when he's released, and they talk about "former NFL and Nebraska player Lawrence Phillips," at that point you would have to agree that it's too much, yes? Or is it never too much, and once he's been part of the program, it's OK to associate him with us 20, 30, 40 years later?

I like Jen's analogy, LP is the gift that keeps on giving, herpes. You have a great time getting it, but once you see the ramifications that never end it is really really painful. Maybe Valtrex works on LP?

It will undoubtedly be mentioned in his obituary..

I read something about Johnny Rodgers a couple days ago about him knocking off a gas station ~40 years ago.

How the LP association affects you will probably be dependant on how you feel about him being part of our favourite "Football School".

Sure..I feel like our "Best Team in College Football History" has been tainted by him being a part of it...But I'm not sure I'd change anything about having his presence...It created an avenue for discussion and maybe a better understanding of the principal players (Like T.O.).

I really really wish he'd have been a model citizen, but "your mission..if you choose to accept it"..Is to find the bright spot in every thing.