What became of Pederson?

Hmph, i always heard that some students from NU captured him along with Callahan, drove them way out to Western Nebraska somewhere and were lynched, some say on quiet nights you can hear both Callahan and Pederson crying for mercy that they didnt meet the standards of the Nebraska Football fans and cheated the school out of millions of dollars by extending their contracts.

Just curious; did he land on his feet at another school, or just ride away into the sunset?

He landed at a school whose current sports programs are comparable, or, arguably, better than NU. So.... yeah, he landed on his feet.

If I recall correctly, Pitt has a national championship in football from 1976...and they haven't been relevant since. And you're saying that "accomplishment" is on par, or better than, Nebraska?

:laughpound

Just curious; did he land on his feet at another school, or just ride away into the sunset?

He landed at a school whose current sports programs are comparable, or, arguably, better than NU. So.... yeah, he landed on his feet.

The NACDA Director's Cup is probably the best way to determine that, and the two schools are not comparable in those standings. Last year Nebraska ranked 31st in Div 1A. I'm not quite sure where Pittsburgh ended up, but they weren't in the top 50.

The complete standings can be found HERE.

The NACDA Director's Cup is probably the best way to determine that, and the two schools are not comparable in those standings. Last year Nebraska ranked 31st in Div 1A. I'm not quite sure where Pittsburgh ended up, but they weren't in the top 50.

The complete standings can be found HERE.

That is skewed because NU gets credit for sports that Pitt doesn't have, like Bowling apparantly. They also don't have a ranking for Gymnastics nor Indoor Track, not sure if they have these programs or not? A more fair comparison might be programs that both schools do have, but I would say that if NU fields a much larger variety of programs that definately indicates that the NU job is a bigger and more challenging one. At the face of it, PITT has a decent Football Program (Jen it isn't all about tradition it is how strong is the program right now and they were in a New Year's Day bowl also I believe), really good BB programs (both Men's and Women's and NU isn't close at all), a top 40 Wrestling Program (NU kicks butt here for sure).

That is skewed because NU gets credit for sports that Pitt doesn't have, like Bowling apparantly. They also don't have a ranking for Gymnastics nor Indoor Track, not sure if they have these programs or not? A more fair comparison might be programs that both schools do have, but I would say that if NU fields a much larger variety of programs that definately indicates that the NU job is a bigger and more challenging one. At the face of it, PITT has a decent Football Program (Jen it isn't all about tradition it is how strong is the program right now and they were in a New Year's Day bowl also I believe), really good BB programs (both Men's and Women's and NU isn't close at all), a top 40 Wrestling Program (NU kicks butt here for sure).

They have a formula for balancing things out. It's not as skewed as you might think.

They have a formula for balancing things out. It's not as skewed as you might think.

Ok, I didn't really look to hard at the formula. I just saw that Pitt had hardly any teams included in this table of Fall and Winter Sports, only 4 or so, it has to play a part don't you think?

Ok, I didn't really look to hard at the formula. I just saw that Pitt had hardly any teams included in this table of Fall and Winter Sports, only 4 or so, it has to play a part don't you think?

The Director's Cup is a pretty big deal. I'm guessing it's not just some random bunch of numbers thrown together with little thought.

I don't read enuf of your posts to know you. Were you being sarcastic?

No, I was not being sarcastic. What I was saying is that Pittsburgh is a very solid basketball school (presently) --- well beyond where NU is. Their football program is behind NU (massively behind historically) --- but not by that much presently. It is probably true that by Sears Cup type stuff NU is ahead of Pittsburgh --- but not by a great deal. And... if you take the big two -- Men's football and men's basketball -- Pitt is well, about even with NU or slightly ahead (at least presently) --- they have us by a ton in BB and we have them by some in FB).

My point was that Peterson got himself quite a nice job. Pitt is a solid sports school. Maybe not NU caliber, but close overall and at present perhaps arguably better in the big two composite.

So, yes.... he landed on his feet.

Robsker, I get what you're saying and I'm not refuting that, but I would like to point out that college football is about 2x to 3x the money-maker that hoops is, and it's far more popular overall.

And yes, Pederson landed on his feet, in a place where he's happy and where he's had success. Nothing wrong with that.

Robsker, I get what you're saying and I'm not refuting that, but I would like to point out that college football is about 2x to 3x the money-maker that hoops is, and it's far more popular overall.

And yes, Pederson landed on his feet, in a place where he's happy and where he's had success. Nothing wrong with that.

Agreed. Football is the beast. And... if I were an AD NU would be much my preference too. I just find it odd how a guy who I (and apparently many others) thought was so awful as the NU AD got a job anywhere at all --- much less at a really solid place like Pitt. Seemed to me that Pederson's performance (that is, bad performance) at NU would warrent the man's next job being a used car salesmen --- not an AD again at a good place.

So... he landed on his feet when I am inclined to think he should not have.

Agreed. Football is the beast. And... if I were an AD NU would be much my preference too. I just find it odd how a guy who I (and apparently many others) thought was so awful as the NU AD got a job anywhere at all --- much less at a really solid place like Pitt. Seemed to me that Pederson's performance (that is, bad performance) at NU would warrent the man's next job being a used car salesmen --- not an AD again at a good place.

So... he landed on his feet when I am inclined to think he should not have.

I should point out that I do not wish Pederson ill at all --- that he landed on his feet is good for him --- he just caught a seeming break that he did not merit. But good for him.

I think there's mixed feelings about Pedey across the landscape of NU athletics. From what I recall, several programs thought very well of him, including Volleyball, Basketball (both flavors) and the baseball team.

Aside from the one COLOSSAL failure regarding the football program, I think he was regarded well around the U.