JGS30 Big 12 Predictions

JGS30

CU over KU and NU!?! LOL. Wow. Now that's delusional! :clap Unless I missed something and Hawkins has put in a high flying attack, scoring 60 plus a game.....but I highly doubt that's the case.

Careful there. Colorado's roster is as talented as anyone's in the North. Their big problem last year was injuries. If they're healthy, they're able to win some games.

Everyone seems to be caught up in all of the X's and O's. Forget about replacing Ganz, the WR's, losing Lucky and Castille for a moment. What are the coaches saying? NU's coaches seem to be a pretty plain-spoken bunch, right? It seems to be a general consensus among the coaches that this year's team is much further along at this point than last year's team. I don't know about you, but what I take away from that is that even with all the losses due to graduation and dismissal, the staff is telling us that NU is fielding a SIGNIFICANTLY better team at the beginning of this year than they did last year--especially between the ears.

Great post.

I agree with you and that's what I have been thinking this whole time. Even Bo Pelini - who rarely likes to give any sort of nod to the team - says that they are alot further along this year than they were last year (although then he says they are not as far along as HE would like them to be, but that's just the way he is).

With that in mind, you have to ask how much better (if at all) are the rest of the teams that NU will be facing? Will they be stepping up their collective games as well? If Nebraska continues to build on its finish from last season--and this pragmatic bunch of coaches don't seem to be hinting at anything otherwise, everyone might be very surprised as to how far this year's group goes. Call me a homer--and I am, but even with the losses in skill positions, I think that they'll be noticeably improved on both ends of the ball. Remember Pelini's irritated response to the South superiority comment. He may have tipped his hand a little bit there.

Many of my friends - who are about as anti-Husker as you can get - have them finishing 10-2 and even 11-1. Does this mean a whole lot? No, other than people are starting to take notice of an improving program. I'm not ready to say Pelini was hinting at being close to the South - because I don't think he was - but I will come forth with the following predictions.

At worst, the Huskers will finish 8-4; at best 10-2. Most likely, I think they will finish 9-3.

Offense---

- Zac Lee will prove that he is "the man". Might take him a little while to get started and used to game speed (he was a little slow to start during the Spring Game), but once he calms down he will be great. By the end of the season, we will be saying, "Joe who?"

- Our TE play will be incredible. Don't be surprised if some of them are used in the WR positions, and I really think McNeill will be one of Lee's favorite targets. I also see Ben Cotton - with his size and agility - being a big threat in the redzone and goalline situations.

- WR position will be okay.

- Helu will carry alot of the load early, but will share the load more evenly with Burkhead later on in the season. Lester Ward will also build up steam about midseason, providing some much needed depth at RB.

- The o-line will be slightly above average this year. Not overwhelmingly good, but slightly better than last year, especially early on.

- Remember the name Kyler Reed. He will be a big deal.

Defense---

- The d-line will build on last year and be an improved bunch with more depth at both positions. Ankrah will most likely redshirt.

- The linebackers may show inexperience early on, but may make up for many mistakes with their speed and athleticism. They will be a solid group by year-end. Fisher will make some really big plays.

- The secondary will improve from last year, and cut alot of the mental mistakes out of the picture. Asante will step up and show what he is capable of this year and be the safety we have expected him to be for years. Turnovers will improve, but will still not be overwhelmingly good.

Special Teams---

- Coverage on punt returns and kick offs will be much better with more speed and athleticism on the field.

- Tim Marlowe will excel at PR.

- Paul and Burkhead will take the field for KR.

There are my predictions. You can say I'm a homer - it's hard not to be when you're talking about your team - but I really listen to what the coaches say. They don't mince words and are straight forward when they speak.

What I can gather about reading this thread is that really no one in the north is afraid of anyone else in the north, meaning that there really is no consensus stud of the division. NU fans believe that they can win the north, KU fans believe they can win the north, MU fans believe they can win the north, I believe CU can win the north, and Cy believes ISU is guranteed to win the Big 12. The only ones alone in the dark appear to be KSU people...lol

I hate to tell you this, but KU or NU is winnin' the North. I say 80% or better it is one of those 2 teams...

Perhaps but I take into account the schedule as well as recent matchups over the last few years. Don't get me wrong I believe Kansas has a good team but let's look at your schedule:

ISU-W

at CU-L

OU-L

at Tech-L

at KSU-W

NU-W

at UT-L

MU-W

That gives you a conference record of 4-4, now let me argue my points before you start chastising me. CU has played KU tough over the last few years with a talent disparity, CU is better this year if they are healthy, the game is in Boulder if it was in Lawrence I would reverse my pick(so it is not a homer pick). OU at home, you might play them tough and hope for an OU letdown but odds are against it, OU wins. At Tech, now this one I am willing to concede and flip flop but I do think the Raiders will have another QB that can throw for 400 yards and other receivers that will step up and catch footballs. I give you Nebraska even at this risk of being flamed since this is their board. At Texas, let's face it, even if the game is close and winnable, something will happen that causes you to go down in flames. Mizzou I will give you. Even if I reverse the Tech game that is still 5-3.

Nebraska:

at Mizzou-L

Tech-W

ISU-W

at Baylor-W

OU-L

at KU-L

KSU-W

at CU-L

So here comes the flames...lol At Mizzou, Mizzou loves to beat NU and they get to catch them early in the season when the only team they faced was Va Tech. OU at home will be generating a lot of buzz about the old times, but this isn't the old times, OU wins. At Kansas, already gave KU the nod. At CU, it took a miracle kick last year at home for NU to win against a decimated CU team, assuming that CU is healthy and considering that neither team is putting up long winning streaks against the other anymore, I pick CU.

4-4

Colorado:

Texas-L

KU-W

at KSU-W

Mizzou-L

A&M-W

at ISU-W

at OSU-L

NU-W

5-3 but since I am a CU guy, let's toss one win out and now we are 4-4 as well, remember I said a multi tie in the division, where I think at least 2 if not 3 teams might be split? Certainly I am no more qualified to pick these games then anyone else here and I have not flamed anyone so my post is reasonable for this site :)

CU over KU and NU!?! LOL. Wow. Now that's delusional! :clap Unless I missed something and Hawkins has put in a high flying attack, scoring 60 plus a game.....but I highly doubt that's the case.

Before you personally attack me at least tell me how I am being delusional? I stated the evidence, even last year in Lawrence, CU was in the game with KU and CU is better and healthier at this point then they were last year. Second, do you deny that it took a monumental kick last year for Nebraska to beat CU in Lincoln? If Henry misses the kick we are taking knees, game set and match. Now I understand that you guys believe you are better then last year as well as I believe we are better, so I do not believe it to be delusional on my part to pick the home team in both of those matchups. I gave Mizzou the nod over us because quite honestly they have embarrassed the hell out of us the last few years, niether KU or NU has done that. I may be picking wrong, to be say that I am delusional without any evidence to back up that claim is shallow on your part.

Before you personally attack me at least tell me how I am being delusional? I stated the evidence, even last year in Lawrence, CU was in the game with KU and CU is better and healthier at this point then they were last year. Second, do you deny that it took a monumental kick last year for Nebraska to beat CU in Lincoln? If Henry misses the kick we are taking knees, game set and match. Now I understand that you guys believe you are better then last year as well as I believe we are better, so I do not believe it to be delusional on my part to pick the home team in both of those matchups. I gave Mizzou the nod over us because quite honestly they have embarrassed the hell out of us the last few years, niether KU or NU has done that. I may be picking wrong, to be say that I am delusional without any evidence to back up that claim is shallow on your part.

beachbuffs, I agree the game for NU in Boulder could be tough. It always seems that more often than not, that game is tough. I also get what you are saying about the Henery kick. However I think you are a bit off if you think those two teams were as closely matched as the score would indicate. NU outgained CU 407 to 291. NU held the ball for over 39 minutes, CU had just 20 minutes of TOP. CU only scored a single TD in the second half, and didn't score at all in the 4th QTR. If it weren't for a botched fake fg and a blown coverage, CU isn't in the game. That game is a great example of just why they play the games. NU clearly had better talent on the field all over, but mentally CU played a better game. However to assume that NU will make that many mistakes again to help close the talent gap would be a stretch. Could it happen? Absolutely, but I don't see it.

beachbuffs, I agree the game for NU in Boulder could be tough. It always seems that more often than not, that game is tough. I also get what you are saying about the Henery kick. However I think you are a bit off if you think those two teams were as closely matched as the score would indicate. NU outgained CU 407 to 291. NU held the ball for over 39 minutes, CU had just 20 minutes of TOP. CU only scored a single TD in the second half, and didn't score at all in the 4th QTR. If it weren't for a botched fake fg and a blown coverage, CU isn't in the game. That game is a great example of just why they play the games. NU clearly had better talent on the field all over, but mentally CU played a better game. However to assume that NU will make that many mistakes again to help close the talent gap would be a stretch. Could it happen? Absolutely, but I don't see it.

This is a pretty good rundown of what happened in that game. CU Fans seem to want to forget everything that happened up to Henery's kick, pointing solely at the scoreboard and claiming they're as good, if not better, than us. Had Henery's kick sailed wide right and CU ran out the clock for the win last year I would be no less confident that we will win in Boulder this year. We gave them 14 points on boneheaded plays last year.

Without Henery's miracle kick we don't win. But without that foolish fake field goal and the boneheaded mistake on coverage, the game isn't even close to that situation.

That's why they play the games. I am among the few that believes CU will be much better this year, and they have all three of the other North contenders at home.

I can't dispute anyone's rankings at this point since I haven't even seen a single game yet. Anything can happen this season.

I love the pic. That is a MU fav. "yippie!!"

That's why they play the games. I am among the few that believes CU will be much better this year, and they have all three of the other North contenders at home.

I can't dispute anyone's rankings at this point since I haven't even seen a single game yet. Anything can happen this season.

I love the pic. That is a MU fav. "yippie!!"

I did that just for you, Fro! :)

I actually saw it on the KU version of "Barking Carnival" yesterday and had to have it.

Very good points and I cannot refute them and if the game was in Lincoln my pick would be reversed. Rest assured I am not going out on putting my mortage on the line for any of these picks but I do look at recent history as well as the talent level for all these teams and I just happen to suscribe to a theory that I believe the winner of the north will be settled by our goofy Big 12 tiebreaking mechanism. I believe that out of the potential conference schedules, Colorado clearly has the softest, I think we can agree on the point. Our toughest road games are games where pretty much any of us in the North will not be favored, Texas and Oklahoma State. Our tough North games are all at home, granted Folsom is not Memorial or the Collesium but Vegas typically gives us 3 points....lol

Very good points and I cannot refute them and if the game was in Lincoln my pick would be reversed. Rest assured I am not going out on putting my mortage on the line for any of these picks but I do look at recent history as well as the talent level for all these teams and I just happen to suscribe to a theory that I believe the winner of the north will be settled by our goofy Big 12 tiebreaking mechanism. I believe that out of the potential conference schedules, Colorado clearly has the softest, I think we can agree on the point. Our toughest road games are games where pretty much any of us in the North will not be favored, Texas and Oklahoma State. Our tough North games are all at home, granted Folsom is not Memorial or the Collesium but Vegas typically gives us 3 points....lol

CU definately has the best schedule, no doubt.

What I can gather about reading this thread is that really no one in the north is afraid of anyone else in the north, meaning that there really is no consensus stud of the division. NU fans believe that they can win the north, KU fans believe they can win the north, MU fans believe they can win the north, I believe CU can win the north, and Cy believes ISU is guranteed to win the Big 12. The only ones alone in the dark appear to be KSU people...lol

I hate to tell you this, but KU or NU is winnin' the North. I say 80% or better it is one of those 2 teams...

Perhaps but I take into account the schedule as well as recent matchups over the last few years. Don't get me wrong I believe Kansas has a good team but let's look at your schedule:

ISU-W

at CU-L

OU-L

at Tech-L

at KSU-W

NU-W

at UT-L

MU-W

That gives you a conference record of 4-4, now let me argue my points before you start chastising me. CU has played KU tough over the last few years with a talent disparity, CU is better this year if they are healthy, the game is in Boulder if it was in Lawrence I would reverse my pick(so it is not a homer pick). OU at home, you might play them tough and hope for an OU letdown but odds are against it, OU wins. At Tech, now this one I am willing to concede and flip flop but I do think the Raiders will have another QB that can throw for 400 yards and other receivers that will step up and catch footballs. I give you Nebraska even at this risk of being flamed since this is their board. At Texas, let's face it, even if the game is close and winnable, something will happen that causes you to go down in flames. Mizzou I will give you. Even if I reverse the Tech game that is still 5-3.

Nebraska:

at Mizzou-L

Tech-W

ISU-W

at Baylor-W

OU-L

at KU-L

KSU-W

at CU-L

So here comes the flames...lol At Mizzou, Mizzou loves to beat NU and they get to catch them early in the season when the only team they faced was Va Tech. OU at home will be generating a lot of buzz about the old times, but this isn't the old times, OU wins. At Kansas, already gave KU the nod. At CU, it took a miracle kick last year at home for NU to win against a decimated CU team, assuming that CU is healthy and considering that neither team is putting up long winning streaks against the other anymore, I pick CU.

4-4

Colorado:

Texas-L

KU-W

at KSU-W

Mizzou-L

A&M-W

at ISU-W

at OSU-L

NU-W

5-3 but since I am a CU guy, let's toss one win out and now we are 4-4 as well, remember I said a multi tie in the division, where I think at least 2 if not 3 teams might be split? Certainly I am no more qualified to pick these games then anyone else here and I have not flamed anyone so my post is reasonable for this site :)

Going to Boulder is no gimmee, but we will be the better team. That means we probably can win that... No gaurantees, but we have won the last 3. I like our chances, but take nothing for granted. When I look at your team, it was not that good the last few years and you are not loving it at QB. I like D-Hawk, but he winning only 35% of his games and won 2 conference games last year. I am not feeling your 5-3... Granted you lost in a close one to NU and should beat A&M (but it is telling tha you didn't). That is a lot of improving... Best of luck though, that is why we play the games.

I worry much more about Mizery than I do any of the other North teams.

Really?

Remember how Mizzou was with Pinkel before Chase Daniel and their offense specially made for him by their offensive coordinator(who is also gone)?

I mean, they might end up being decent, but until I see them prove they can sustain their recent success... Pinkel is still Pinkel to me.

brad smith burned nebraska before daniel.

just saying.

Ok ya got me there. He did get us a couple of times.

With the same offense as they run now...

Is that the same offense that put up a whopping 3 points against a 5-6 Nebraska team in '04? ;)

Look, all I'm saying is that I'm not going to lose any sleep over Mizzou until they give me a reason to worry. Maybe I could have said it in a less condescending way...

nope. they went to that offense in 05. you know the one that has but up a whopping 41, 20, 41 & 52. ;)

No hard feelings. I understand what your saying. Its the samething all the MU fans are saying about Nebraska. Nothing has been done to prove that the outcome of this years game will be any different then they have been lately. We will all know here pretty soon what we are working with :)

Haha. Good form, fro.

So, since we're not afraid of each other, I think it's safe to say that we'll be witnessing a pillow fight when the two teams meet... :lol:

I worry much more about Mizery than I do any of the other North teams.

Really?

Remember how Mizzou was with Pinkel before Chase Daniel and their offense specially made for him by their offensive coordinator(who is also gone)?

I mean, they might end up being decent, but until I see them prove they can sustain their recent success... Pinkel is still Pinkel to me.

brad smith burned nebraska before daniel.

just saying.

Ok ya got me there. He did get us a couple of times.

With the same offense as they run now...

Is that the same offense that put up a whopping 3 points against a 5-6 Nebraska team in '04? ;)

Look, all I'm saying is that I'm not going to lose any sleep over Mizzou until they give me a reason to worry. Maybe I could have said it in a less condescending way...

nope. they went to that offense in 05. you know the one that has but up a whopping 41, 20, 41 & 52. ;)

No hard feelings. I understand what your saying. Its the samething all the MU fans are saying about Nebraska. Nothing has been done to prove that the outcome of this years game will be any different then they have been lately. We will all know here pretty soon what we are working with :)

Haha. Good form, fro.

So, since we're not afraid of each other, I think it's safe to say that we'll be witnessing a pillow fight when the two teams meet... :lol:

If your talking about the volleyball or womens soccer teams then I would watch that. Nothing like a good ol' fashion pillow fight. :)

Is there a sleep over involved? :clap

ISU-W

at CU-L

OU-L

at Tech-L

at KSU-W

NU-W

at UT-L

MU-W

Nebraska:

at Mizzou-L

Tech-W

ISU-W

at Baylor-W

OU-L

at KU-L

KSU-W

at CU-L

4-4

Colorado:

Texas-L

KU-W

at KSU-W

Mizzou-L

A&M-W

at ISU-W

at OSU-L

NU-W

For starters, i didn't personally attack you. Thinking your Buffs will beat both KU and NU is very delusional. Why. Let's begin. For starters, you don't even know who your QB is going to be!!! Neither of these guys have shown any potential of being consistent as a starter. The second reason I think you're off on this is because if you remember the KU/CU game last year then you would recall how KU controlled the game from start to finish. Now, If my memory serves me....without looking it up here...KU won by 17 points? Something like that. However, the game was never in doubt for KU and I remember all of us going into halftime feeling really comfortable, even though the score was close. KU dominated both sides of the ball from start to finish.

You have some pretty high hopes for a team that has yet to settle on a proven QB and a coach going into year 4 that has yet to prove ANY consistency in this conference. Plus you had a losing record last year and didn't go to a bowl. I would lower my expectations if I were you. Don't get mad at me, I have CU finishing 3rd in the North. That's a good step for CU.