NU Loses Another Commit

maybe what needs to be done is for NU to hire a Recruiting Coordinator that does nothing else. Not a Wide Receivers coach. Not a Linebackers coach. Not a Running Backs coach.

This persons job would be to take messages from Recruits that call the Coaches when they are not in the office and make sure that the phone calls are returned in a timely manner. They would make sure that each of the coaches have sent out a specified number of hand written letters each week. They would remind the coaches to visit Recruit X while in the area of Potential Recruit Y

This seems to be a time management issue with balancing recruiting and coaching, and oh throw in family quality of life also.

just a thought

Yeah maybe, but I think the NCAA has a strict limit on the number of people that can be on a staff. I thought it was 11? Anyway I wonder what that number is and how it would affect the current staff's duties.

Maybe I have had to much :koolaid2:

But I have a hard time seeeing the BP staff falling down on any of their duties. I'm not sure what the problem is and sure as hell have no insight on how to fix it. It is frustrating but I can only believe that this staff works as hard as any in CFB.

While I do think there's a problem, I think it's one that can be fixed. If the season ends up with a quality class with guys seeing the field in the next few years, we'll know that all this is overblown. But you look at the schools in our conference that have been in the top 25 recently and you notice a trend with their recruiting that we aren't following. I like to chug a lug the koolaid as much as anyone, but sitting at 5 commits in early September is not the trend I was hoping we'd follow.

I look forward to seeing people continue to deny the recruiting problem.. they'll say things like "the sky is falling oh no" but they have no valuable input other than sarcasm. The fact is, we have 5 recruits and have lost two 4-stars already. If that's not a problem I don't know what is. Yes, it may all turn out fine by February, but for right now our recruiting class is far from good. I'd love to see a reasonable argument to the contrary. We're losing big time commits to lesser schools on a daily basis. What are you going to say when we lose Gabbert too?

The part in red...You know this for a fact? Prove it.

You do realize that the ENTIRE college football season has yet to be played right?

And as for the "valuable input" comment...what value is your input where you're constantly crying that the sky is falling?

regardless, this sure can't be good for the moral of the few remaining recruits or the team. whatever we need to do to fix it, we need to do it now, as salvaging the recruiting season will be a stretch at this point.

first step, admit there is a problem.....there IS a problem, unless you want to keep making excuses.

You do realize that the ENTIRE college football season has yet to be played right?

And as for the "valuable input" comment...what value is your input where you're constantly crying that the sky is falling?

No I don't know this for a fact. I'm saying, what will your excuse be when we lose him too? "Oh it's not a surprise, he wanted to join his brother, oh we saw this coming..." As if that makes it better?

Wow really Jen? The football season hasn't started yet? No sh#t?

I've never said the sky is falling. You're putting words in my mouth. I said our recruiting situation isn't good right now, and if, like I said, you have a reasonable argument otherwise I'd love to hear it. I've admitted that the class may turn out fine, but from where it stands right now it's not looking so hot.

By the way, for someone who constantly professes not to care about recruiting and to not get excited, you still visit the recruiting section quite often. And I notice once again all you can do is reply to my posts in an effort to shoot them down... but I search the entire thread, and not once do I find an original thought by you on how the recruiting situation is. A lot easier to reply to other's posts rather than think up some of your own, isn't it?

regardless of whether we "want" these recruits....we are losing them at an alarming rate and do not seem able to attract kids at this stage of the game. this class is quickly running out of kids "we want"...we will end up with the leftovers, for the most part. again, if this staff can't produce any better than they are currently doing, they need to reassess the recruiting process or continue to be out manned for years to come.

again, it is a simple fact, not a panic argument, just the truth, please everyone, stop with the excuses.

regardless of whether we "want" these recruits....we are losing them at an alarming rate and do not seem able to attract kids at this stage of the game. this class is quickly running out of kids "we want"...we will end up with the leftovers, for the most part. again, if this staff can't produce any better than they are currently doing, they need to reassess the recruiting process or continue to be out manned for years to come.

again, it is a simple fact, not a panic argument, just the truth, please everyone, stop with the excuses.

It is funny that you mention truth. You have called this recruiting season "disastrous". We have had two decommits, and you call that an "alarming" rate. Your perception seems to be at the opposite end of the spectrum from those that think that things couldn't be better.

As usual, the truth lies somewhere in the middle. I agree with you that our staff needs to take a hard look at how things have gone during the dog days of summer and adjust their strategies. We need a recruiting coordinator that is going to keep the coaches on task. We need the support staff to do a much better job(welcome Mr. Austin Everson).

On the other hand, I will wait to pass any final judgement on this class. "Disastrous" is a word best saved for February (or even a couple of years down the road if you really want to assess performance). "Alarming" is more than losing a guy that we wanted and one that we didn't. "Leftovers" is best used when we actually have knowledge of the coaches' recruiting board. 4 out of our 5 4-star commits from the 2009 class didn't commit until after October 1st.

Now I'm not saying that our class will be stellar, but I don't think the sky has fallen either. You can keep your finger poised over the panic button, but quit pressing it so often right now.

No I don't know this for a fact. I'm saying, what will your excuse be when we lose him too? "Oh it's not a surprise, he wanted to join his brother, oh we saw this coming..." As if that makes it better?

Wow really Jen? The football season hasn't started yet? No sh#t?

I've never said the sky is falling. You're putting words in my mouth. I said our recruiting situation isn't good right now, and if, like I said, you have a reasonable argument otherwise I'd love to hear it. I've admitted that the class may turn out fine, but from where it stands right now it's not looking so hot.

By the way, for someone who constantly professes not to care about recruiting and to not get excited, you still visit the recruiting section quite often. And I notice once again all you can do is reply to my posts in an effort to shoot them down... but I search the entire thread, and not once do I find an original thought by you on how the recruiting situation is. A lot easier to reply to other's posts rather than think up some of your own, isn't it?

The part in red...You admit you don't know if we'll lose Gabbert and then immediately after you're proclaiming as a fact that we WILL lose Gabbert.

:wacko:

:wtf

If, and this is a HUGE if, we do lose Gabbert then I will agree that there are some rather serious issues in the way this staff recruits.

However, if this class turns out to be very good, which I think it will; then you will admit that you over-reacted and will vow to take a few happy pills prior to discussing recruiting?

Now the criteria for a "very good" class...hmmmm...that's a tad tougher to quantify. Is it overall class rank nationally? Is it the average number of stars per player? Which site do we use as the measuring stick? What's your definition of a very good class-cause it's probably a little-or maybe a lot, different from mine?

And you may never have said actually the sky is falling, but your numerous posts regarding recruiting are certainly implying it.

The part in green...I visit the recruiting section because do like to know who is all out there and I try to keep an eye on who the Huskers are targeting because it does make interesting conversation during the off-season.

And finally, take a good long look at the players who have already committed to other schools and ask yourself what is the one common factor among them all? The answer is of course location. Nebraska does not have location as an advantage. Ergo, we will probably always lag behind other schools who are closer in proximity to the hotbeds of talent. That doesn't mean we can't still get great players, it just means we have to work harder and take longer to do the recruiting.

If that's a problem for you... :dunno

Yes I'm sure it would be hard to judge a successful class, bc I'm sure Jen's successful class is one four star and the rest 2 stars from nebraska and north dakota. after all if they are in our recruiting class it must mean they were the ones bo really wanted. i trust bo!

side note: the above was sarcastic, but I want to make it clear that I do actually trust bo and co.

Ya know, it is possible to be a great coach and have a program heading in the right direction ... and still get your butt kicked in a recruiting season. That does happen to good programs at various times. The word is still out on this class ... but at present ... I feel much like the white coach in "Remember the Titans", when he says to Herman, "Herman ... I sure could use your help ... Ed Henry (OSU) is kickin' my ass!"

The part in red...You admit you don't know if we'll lose Gabbert and then immediately after you're proclaiming as a fact that we WILL lose Gabbert.

wacko.gif

wtf.gif

If, and this is a HUGE if, we do lose Gabbert then I will agree that there are some rather serious issues in the way this staff recruits.

However, if this class turns out to be very good, which I think it will; then you will admit that you over-reacted and will vow to take a few happy pills prior to discussing recruiting?

Now the criteria for a "very good" class...hmmmm...that's a tad tougher to quantify. Is it overall class rank nationally? Is it the average number of stars per player? Which site do we use as the measuring stick? What's your definition of a very good class-cause it's probably a little-or maybe a lot, different from mine?

And you may never have said actually the sky is falling, but your numerous posts regarding recruiting are certainly implying it.

The part in green...I visit the recruiting section because do like to know who is all out there and I try to keep an eye on who the Huskers are targeting because it does make interesting conversation during the off-season.

I don't think I'm overreacting at all. I've never once said we're doomed, never once said the sky is falling, or anything remotely along those lines. I've said that the recruiting class may turn out just fine, but up to this point it hasn't and that's a concern someone needs to address.

How about we go by the Rivals ranking, considering they seem to be pretty accurate as far as the correlation between good recruiting classes and who ends up being in BCS bowls and Championships. I'll take their word on what a good class is considering that more often than not they have accurate ratings. Yeah we know your definition of a good class is hard work ethic and a desire to play - well guess what, that doesn't always mean good talent. If that's your criteria put me in the game. A good recruiting class is having superior athletes and good character to complement it. To have a good recruiting class you must have both. We can agree on that I hope.

I think it's unnecessary to go over the location part of our recruiting. Everyone knows we have arguably the worst situated University of any major football program in the nation. However, Suh isn't from around here. Neither was lucky. Or Rozier. Or any number of countless others that have been legends at our school or legends at other schools. People from Florida go to California schools and vice versa all the time. We have an advantage, but it's not one we can't overcome with some hard work and competent recruiting. We'll never probably have the talent that Texas does, but we can narrow the gap by quite a bit. We have a lot to offer, and we need to start making that clear.

Once again I'll ask you Jen - what's your take on recruiting? Stop arguing every point I make and state your case plain and simple. I've said mine - the class may turn out alright in the end, but I think there are some serious issues that need to be addressed right now. We've lost two 4 star commits and have only 5 verbals right now. The biggest issue is that these recruits imply that Nebraska hasn't made efforts to maintain good relationships. This is what I find most disconcerting.

And finally, take a good long look at the players who have already committed to other schools and ask yourself what is the one common factor among them all? The answer is of course location. Nebraska does not have location as an advantage. Ergo, we will probably always lag behind other schools who are closer in proximity to the hotbeds of talent. That doesn't mean we can't still get great players, it just means we have to work harder and take longer to do the recruiting.

If that's a problem for you... dunno.gif

This is a matter of semantics. If it makes you feel better, put in an "if" instead of the "when." It was meant as a hypothetical question. You're not paying attention to the point I was making. I could just as easily focus on your numerous typos as well.