Dr. Tom's new book

np_husker

Sounds like an interesting book.

He’s no John Grisham, but when Tom Osborne comes out with a book, it’s always a good read, complete with compelling insights that the former coach drops in without warning.

Osborne’s latest effort, “Beyond the Final Score,’’ which is released today, is no different. It’s a look at Osborne’s life after coaching, including his run in politics and taking over as NU athletic director.

Some highlights:

• Osborne writes that when he took over the athletic department in October 2007, “I could tell something was not quite right. Some people were ready to quit. Some people had quit already. The first meeting I attended my first day on the job involved two mental health professionals who were offering ideas on stress management to members of the administrative staff. I could sense that there were serious stress and morale issues and that this was more than a casual exercise.’’

• He hired Bo Pelini over Turner Gill because, simply, he felt Nebraska’s defense needed more attention than the offense. “Telling Turner that I was not going to hire him was one of the hardest things I have had to do,’’ Osborne wrote. “I know that Turner wanted the job, understood the culture at Nebraska and was someone who was a great person and a great role model.’’

• Karl Rove asked Osborne in 2004 if he would consider being secretary of agriculture, but Osborne turned down the opportunity because it would mean seeing his grandchildren less often and asking wife Nancy to move to Washington full time. Osborne wrote, “That was hard to do, as a cabinet position is highly sought by many people.’’

• He talks about his legacy at Nebraska being more about how he treated his players than winning. He also writes that, though he’s not sure how long he’ll be athletic director, “there are some things that Nancy and I need to do before we kick the bucket.’’

Writes Osborne: “We do not know when our lives will come to a close. It might be years from now after a long illness that gives us a chance to tie up loose ends and let everyone important in our lives know how much they are loved. Or it might be sooner than we think. Remember Brook Berringer. We can’t control the end results, but we can invest in service, in good work and in relationships while we’re here.’’

This book seems to tie up some loose ends for Osborne. Though with this great career, you never know how many chapters are left.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20090831/SPOR...752/0/FRONTPAGE

I'm going to catch a lot of heat for saying this, but Dr. Tom seems to be getting more conservative/anal retentive every year. He really seems to think that he's become the bible thumping morality police for everyone in the state.

I love tom dearly but religion and politics isn't really his place, I do always appreciate his advice though

• He hired Bo Pelini over Turner Gill because, simply, he felt Nebraska’s defense needed more attention than the offense. “Telling Turner that I was not going to hire him was one of the hardest things I have had to do,’’ Osborne wrote. “I know that Turner wanted the job, understood the culture at Nebraska and was someone who was a great person and a great role model.’’

I don't want to turn this into a Bo vs. Turner, but just the decision process--doesn't that seem a bit short-sighted? I mean, you're looking at hiring a young guy, probably hoping to keep him in the job for 20 years, right? Do you really do that based on an immediate weakness in the program?

I suppose if it was dead even, that's a reasonable tie-breaker.

I'm going to catch a lot of heat for saying this, but Dr. Tom seems to be getting more conservative/anal retentive every year. He really seems to think that he's become the bible thumping morality police for everyone in the state.

Tom is getting old. There was a time when we would greatly value the words of our elders. They've been there, done that, they've lived and thrived through it all. Their experience is valuable, and their wisdom is hard-earned. These days it seems like we don't have any use for our elders. It's something I'm guilty of, too. I didn't value my grandparents' wisdom like I should have, and as I get older, I wish I had them here to give advice.

You don't have to listen to what Tom says. You don't have to agree with him, either. Chances are that he's wrong about some things. But through all the things that he's been through, I'm pretty sure there's plenty he could teach each of us.

I don't want to turn this into a Bo vs. Turner, but just the decision process--doesn't that seem a bit short-sighted? I mean, you're looking at hiring a young guy, probably hoping to keep him in the job for 20 years, right? Do you really do that based on an immediate weakness in the program?

Interesting thought, making me think about it again. I guess at the time I, and I am sure I am not alone, just kind of thought of it like TO said. What would turn the program around the quickest? Did TO have to get the person who could turn around the program fastest or who he thought would be better for 20 years? I am not saying Bo wouldn't be better than Turner over 20, I am just saying before we know what we know now how would you call it?

Seems logical to me. It's nearly impossible to fix everything at once, and the defense was probably the easier and/or most needed immediate fix.

Interesting thought, making me think about it again. I guess at the time I, and I am sure I am not alone, just kind of thought of it like TO said. What would turn the program around the quickest? Did TO have to get the person who could turn around the program fastest or who he thought would be better for 20 years? I am not saying Bo wouldn't be better than Turner over 20, I am just saying before we know what we know now how would you call it?

it doesn't matter how good you'll be in 20 years if you're only here for 4 years before you get run out.

Actually I think it was the opposite of shortsighted. Look at it the other way, there's always that possibility that whoever Osborne hires, it just simply wouldn't work out. So if it doesn't work out, between Gill and Pelini which was most likely to still be available in 4-5 years?

I think it's much more likely if Bo doesn't work out that Turner Gill will still be the next coach, if Gill had gotten the job I'm not nearly as confident that Bo would still be available down the line had Turner not worked out. Hiring Bo, while likely the best choice anyways, gives you a potential fallback option later.

Is it fair to say that Osborne might be directly responsible for all 5 of the national championships? In other words, had Osborne not been on Devaney's staff, Devaney may not have won those national championships.

I often think about this in light of our current expectations and the future of the program. Osborne is truly a hard act to follow.

it doesn't matter how good you'll be in 20 years if you're only here for 4 years before you get run out.

ok, I'll buy these arguments.