Herbies

That someone from ESPN hates their team? No doubt. But since people here still seem to think and post about some from ESPN hating us, I will continue to post the counter argument.

Btw, I just went back and watched Herb's "meltdown" to refresh my memory and make sure I remembered correctly. lol...meltdown, ok...

Well, I for one would like to personally thank you for saving us all from this plague of bored conversation. This service you're providing - free of charge, which is just amazing - is such a wonderful benefit to us all. Thank you, thank you - from the bottom of my heart, thank you.

:wasted

I'm sorry you find the conversations on this board boring. I sure don't.

Well he did have that on-air, embarrassing, petulant and absurd anti-Nebraska meltdown when they were discussing the greatest teams of all time.

And then he came here to do Gameday and Husker fans embarrassed themselves by acting like children after the show was over.

But the whole myth that Herb/May/whoever is the new fotm hates Nebraska is ridiculous. Invariably there is always something positive said from that person during the season, and when it's brought up, the myth supporters either suddenly disappear or respond with, "Well, of course they say something positive every once in a while." Give me a f'ing break.

Uh, yeah. Of those two groups, Herbstreit and Husker Fans, which one is obligated by professionalism not to display that kind of behavior?

I don't remember anything from Herb during his "meltdown" that was unprofessional considering his line of work. He is paid to give his opinions, not stare straight faced into the camera and sound like a robot. And what the Nebraska fans that stuck around to taunt/insult Herb did after the show was just plain pathetic.

BS.

"COME ON!" When 71 Nebraska is voted past 85 Penn State.. That's not unprofessional?

"If I see one more red N in the next part of this vote I'm boycotting this segment" That's not unprofessional?

"I'm trying to figure out how we couldn't get the '97 Nebraska team in there" That's not unprofessional?

"This is ridiculous! '04 USC losing to the '71 Nebraska team. '05 TEXAS losing to the '71 Nebraska team. .... I get that but every one of these teams? '01 Miami, '04 USC, '05 Texas? You're not going to throw one of them a bone? *throws paper in disgust* Just one of em!?" Lemme guess, that's a COMPLETELY professional act?

If that's the case that's a bunch of bull.. Just because he doesn't agree doesn't mean he has to act like a child over it, which is what he did. He acted like a damn child. He said multiple times that he disagreed with it and there is nothing wrong with that. He can still question it and bring up his points, but it's the WAY he did it.. and that's what was unprofessional.

He's a freaking NATIONAL ANALYST for God's sake.. Just because someone disagrees with him doesn't mean his 'line of work' requires him to go into 'act like a fifth grader' mode....

This.

I just watched it. I saw nothing unprofessional considering what he's paid to do. I also didn't see anything malicious or anything other than a good natured argument that got a little heated. I never saw him look like he was seriously going to boycott the show or anything else.

I disagree. Growing up in around someone that's in sports media, I know his head would of been on a chopping block should someone have said that 01 miami was better than 95 nebraska and he went off and started throwing papers and giving empty threats to boycott a segment. If you wanna say it comes with how far you are, okay.. But possibly Herbstreit doesn't exactly have all the journalism experience and knowledge of exactly what he should do and how he should act. As far as I know.. He's paid to be a national analyst and able to give color commentary of games and break them down and give us insight to other teams across the nation. Not cry about how 10 1st rounders lined up against a team that doesn't pass would destroy the team that doesn't throw the ball.

That someone from ESPN hates their team? No doubt. But since people here still seem to think and post about some from ESPN hating us, I will continue to post the counter argument.

Btw, I just went back and watched Herb's "meltdown" to refresh my memory and make sure I remembered correctly. lol...meltdown, ok...

Well, I for one would like to personally thank you for saving us all from this plague of bored conversation. This service you're providing - free of charge, which is just amazing - is such a wonderful benefit to us all. Thank you, thank you - from the bottom of my heart, thank you.

Reading comprehension for the loss.

Reading comprehension for the loss.

I didn't bother to put the sarcasm thing up. I figured it was obvious enough...

I just watched it. I saw nothing unprofessional considering what he's paid to do. I also didn't see anything malicious or anything other than a good natured argument that got a little heated. I never saw him look like he was seriously going to boycott the show or anything else.

I disagree. Growing up in around someone that's in sports media, I know his head would of been on a chopping block should someone have said that 01 miami was better than 95 nebraska and he went off and started throwing papers and giving empty threats to boycott a segment. If you wanna say it comes with how far you are, okay.. But possibly Herbstreit doesn't exactly have all the journalism experience and knowledge of exactly what he should do and how he should act. As far as I know.. He's paid to be a national analyst and able to give color commentary of games and break them down and give us insight to other teams across the nation. Not cry about how 10 1st rounders lined up against a team that doesn't pass would destroy the team that doesn't throw the ball.

He's paid to do all those things and get ESPN ratings. It's not like he's a war journalist trying to cover both sides of a conflict. They were there to provide commentary on the votes, which is exactly what he did.

Well, I'll say this. If his reaction hadn't been about Nebraska, and about something most Nebraskans disagree with, I'm guessing there wouldn't be nearly so many butthurt Husker fans still bringing it up. I still don't see anything 5th graderish about it.

Not everyone is gifted with comprehension, I guess? I don't know what else to tell you.

I'm a neutral observer, and this is nuts. A Nebraska fan saying it's not even close, 01 Miami > 95 Nebraska? Yikes.

As has been mentioned, the 2001 Miami team has grown in prestige only because of what those players did in the NFL, not for what they actually did as a team in that season. 2001 Virginia Tech, who they narrowly beat just to get to the title game, was 8-4. BC was 7-5. FSU was 8-4. That's their best 3 wins of the regular season, narrowly winning the first 2. And it's questionable whether Nebraska should have joined them in that Rose Bowl.

The '95 Nebraska team defeated, I believe, 3 Top 10 teams just to get to play a 12-0 Florida team, arguably Spurrier's best, and beat them in a way that bordered on assault. Any one really think the '95 Nebraska team squeaks by a 7-5 Boston College team?

How many Heisman winners have never sniffed NFL success? The NFL and NCAA are 2 completely different games and levels.

The 1995 Nebraska team EASILY is greater than that Miami team, no matter some Miami players did afterward.

Edit: And one last thing: Tom Osborne or Larry Coker? Come on.

Well, I'll say this. If his reaction hadn't been about Nebraska, and about something most Nebraskans disagree with, I'm guessing there wouldn't be nearly so many butthurt Husker fans still bringing it up. I still don't see anything 5th graderish about it.

Not everyone is gifted with comprehension, I guess? I don't know what else to tell you.

Same here, though I won't resort to a veiled insult.

Same here, though I won't resort to a veiled insult.

Your problem is that you're viewing this through tunnel vision. There have been several examples recently right here on this board where Husker fans essentially stand up for the honor of another team. I've done it myself as recently as yesterday. It's convenient and easy to forget things like that when you're trying to make the point you are, but by doing so you're doing exactly what you accuse "butthurt Husker fans" of doing.

You can't have it both ways. You're painting everyone with this broad brush that doesn't exist, and when told how you're being myopic, you cry foul and declare yourself the victim. Open your eyes more, and you'll see. That's all everyone here is telling you. You can choose to give up your stereotyping or you can cling to it. Ball's in your court.

Your problem is that you're viewing this through tunnel vision. There have been several examples recently right here on this board where Husker fans essentially stand up for the honor of another team. I've done it myself as recently as yesterday. It's convenient and easy to forget things like that when you're trying to make the point you are, but by doing so you're doing exactly what you accuse "butthurt Husker fans" of doing.

You can't have it both ways. You're painting everyone with this broad brush that doesn't exist, and when told how you're being myopic, you cry foul and declare yourself the victim. Open your eyes more, and you'll see. That's all everyone here is telling you. You can choose to give up your stereotyping or you can cling to it. Ball's in your court.

No, I'm not applying this to all Husker fans or even the entire board.

No, I'm not applying this to all Husker fans or even the entire board.

When you so vaguely refer to "butthurt Husker fans" or "people" or whatever other very general descriptors you use, it's hard to presume that you're speaking about someone specific on the board.

What bold people do is quote a post and say, "Hey, I disagree with that," and then explain their point of view. By doing this mental fly-fishing tactic of decrying the action(s) of "some people" you're just setting yourself to be misunderstood.

Some free advice - you're going to make yourself much more clear if you're specific about what you're denouncing in the future. If you're not brave enough to be specific, it may not be worth talking about.

And that's one to grow on. :thumbs

Considering my original post in this thread was directed at someone, I think I've been plenty specific.

My conversation with you has wandered into more general territory, but my point has always been focused on the people who claim Herb/May/whoever hates Nebraska. And it's my opinion that most of the people who bring it up are just butthurt that it was a reaction focused at Nebraska. They wouldn't care nearly so much if it had been directed at USC, Penn St., Miami, etc., so it's not so much about just his actions, but that his actions were directed at Nebraska.