Three defining weeks?

craigsker

Looking at the schedule, I couldn't help notice these three weeks on the schedule. They pose some challenges for the team and could define the season. The game at Baylor may be a little overstated, but they have shown continued improvement.

Kansas, Colorado, and Missouri.

Keep in the North Division...if we do that we probably get another crack at OU in the B12 CG.

I think the first significant game is VT, despite it being non conference... it is a top BCS team right now. I think the only other game that is cause for concern is OU... capt obvious, I know. But Baylor is a dark horse team, but still BU. Mizzou should be a win this year, as so should Kansas, but with the trub we have had on the road vs. them, its anyones guess. I still think 10-2 for the reg season, 11-3 end of season. If we draw OU in the Big 12 gajme I think we are in for a long night in Dallas.

I agree but if I were to add one it would be Va Tech. I think that game will define the first part of our season

Absolutely. In the immediate future Va Tech is the most important game we play. If we go into Mizzou 4-0 with a win over a BCS team from least year, we're probably in good shape for the rest of the season.

I agree but if I were to add one it would be Va Tech. I think that game will define the first part of our season

Absolutely. In the immediate future Va Tech is the most important game we play. If we go into Mizzou 4-0 with a win over a BCS team from least year, we're probably in good shape for the rest of the season.

yep.

Baylor has shown continued improvement in the way that a mushroom patch shows continued improvement. It's great that it's growing, but at the end of the day it's still a fungus.

The other two games - sure they're important too, but are they more important than Missouri or Colorado or Texas Tech?

:yeah

Spot on about Baylor. Yes, Griffin is an outstanding quarterback. But one player cannot win games for a team. Despite great quarterback play and a good linebacking corp, we are still more talented in all the other match ups. We have a better D and O line, our receivers will have gotten into the flow of the game by then, we have a stellar running back corp, and our secondary will be solid by this point.

As far as games important to our season? I'd say winning within the Big 12 North is the most important. VaTech and Oklahoma would be good wins just for national exposure and to raise our national rank. Short of that, they don't do much for our season win or lose. I mean look at last year, the only reason we weren't big 12 north champs was because of a loss to Missouri.

Take care of business in the North, and we're in good shape. We can still have a successful season with losses to OU and VaTech.

Wow the fact you think you have a prayer against a very good VTech team is amusing but OU? THAT is funny. Going into Baylor, MU, KU and CU will define your season, 2 and 2 record would be outstanding. Not bashing just realistic, unlike husker fans who come on tigers bds. Overlooking Baylor and Ttech would be a mistake, by all accounts baylor has a ton of very good athletes, glad mu has them at home and TTech always reloads on O, they will put up a ton of pts on you and everyone else, an upgraded D will make them very tough matchups.

7 win season is more realistic as KU will blitz you in Lorance offensively, if TR is still mobile with a young oline, which is NU's best opportunity to slow them down. MU like NU is loaded with question marks everywhere but with much better talent. being a spread team and with the top prostyle qb of his class(as you know very well), they should be very good offensively, Defense should be better, faster anyway.

What is NU's strength on O? With Q gone, can Hulu carry the primary load and stay healthy? Passing attack will be weak, so hulu and reserves are needed in big way.

games are starting, time to stop speculating and see how it all plays out. have a fun season and temper your expectations, all this talk of national prominence is amusing but silly. find out who your HC is first, he beat no one of consequence last yr, staff has recruited poorly as many of you pt out, see how he does with a very tough schedule. VTech game will tell you a lot about him and your team. Enjoy.

Wow the fact you think you have a prayer against a very good VTech team is amusing but OU? THAT is funny. Going into Baylor, MU, KU and CU will define your season, 2 and 2 record would be outstanding. Not bashing just realistic, unlike husker fans who come on tigers bds. Overlooking Baylor and Ttech would be a mistake, by all accounts baylor has a ton of very good athletes, glad mu has them at home and TTech always reloads on O, they will put up a ton of pts on you and everyone else, an upgraded D will make them very tough matchups.

7 win season is more realistic as KU will blitz you in Lorance offensively, if TR is still mobile with a young oline, which is NU's best opportunity to slow them down. MU like NU is loaded with question marks everywhere but with much better talent. being a spread team and with the top prostyle qb of his class(as you know very well), they should be very good offensively, Defense should be better, faster anyway.

What is NU's strength on O? With Q gone, can Hulu carry the primary load and stay healthy? Passing attack will be weak, so hulu and reserves are needed in big way.

games are starting, time to stop speculating and see how it all plays out. have a fun season and temper your expectations, all this talk of national prominence is amusing but silly. find out who your HC is first, he beat no one of consequence last yr, staff has recruited poorly as many of you pt out, see how he does with a very tough schedule. VTech game will tell you a lot about him and your team. Enjoy.

If you are going to come onto a Husker board and fire off something like this, you need to learn to formulate a better argument.

1) VaTech is overrated. They lost their best running back and probably belongs in the upper teens, lower 20's if you would rank them on the talent they have now. Now, I'm not saying they are a bad football team, they are probably better than us, but not by as much as you seem to think.

2) KU wasn't able to blitz our offense LAST SEASON and they lost starters on both sides of the line, and the ones they kept weren't able to get it done last year in Lincoln. What makes you think they will be able to do it this year? They also lost all their starting linebackers.

3) What makes you think MU is going to be a huge challenge? Frosh QB and two new coordinators? Hook me up with whatever you are smoking, bro.

4) His name is spelled H-E-L-U, not Hulu. Make sure you are getting names right if you want us to take you seriously.

5) Assuming you are a Tigers fan, exactly who of consequence did Missouri beat last year? Oh that is right, absolutely nobody. They lost to OSU and got blown out by two teams, as Nebraska did. If NU and MU had faced each other at the end of the season instead of the beginning, the outcome may have been very different. Especially considering losing to a KU team that had far less talent on both sides of the ball compared to MU.

Now, for your retort.

I would love to share your confidence that we get to that part of the schedule unbowed. But first things first. VT at their house is unlikely to go well. Can we win? Sure. Will we be favored? Very unlikely.

Misery, of late they have had our number. I fear them more than VT this year. They have the QB we wish we had, with no disrespect to Zac. They have the best running back tandem with the exit of Q in the north. Their offensive line looks very good. Like Tex Tech, I suspect they will have recievers that can catch and run even thought hey don't have the Maclin kid and that tight end. We will have to score a whole lot of points to beat them at their house I think. Can we win? Sure. Will we be favored? Not if they are undefeated and beat Illinois and Nevada and we lose to VT.

If we lose those two games early then the three you speak of will be tough to get through. FIRST THINGS FIRST. We have to play close or win at VT and we have to win at Misery that has beaten us by several TDs the last two tries.

Worrying about later season and playing Ok is silly until we prove we can play with/beat Missouri and VT. We need to establish that we are the NU of old and not wuss out on the road early. We can do it. Now they have to go out and do it. GBR