Blackshirts

n.e.husker

I think the Defense played fairly well, but still a work in progress. They played with a lot of emotion early on, and forced a couple of turnovers, which was nice to see, but gave up over 350+ total yards. Still held them to only 3 points, so that's good :) I expect them to get better with every game this year.

As the title says ladies and gents.

Whoever saw or heard the game vs. FAU.

Did we live up to a blackshirt calibre defense?

Still some work to do?

Who played well?

Nope. They didn't earn them yet. Suh had a good 1st half but was quiet the 2nd half. I'm guessing they made some adjustments. Was impressed with our LB corp though. Even though they're young, they played well. Secondary didn't do to bad. Made some mistakes but not bad. It definitely showed this was the first game but there is definite promise in the future. Oh..Crick is gonna be a beast.

Needs to Improve

1. PASS RUSH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHERE WAS IT?????????????????????

2. Communication..........

3. Assignment......................

Had they done the last two better they would have had the 0 on the board at the end of the game........ I miss the 0..........

But overall I think they were earned...

To those of you wondering where are pass rush was and why we didnt blitz, it was because FAU was in mass protection most of the night. They had 7 or 8 players blocking on most every play. You do this against a team with a dominant D-line. Problem is this only gives you 2 or 3 wrs on a play. Thats why you seen the qb have a lot of time to throw but didnt cause both of their wrs were double covered.

Now a couple reasons why we gave up so many yards. Most of our touchdown drives were not time consuming. We scored fast so our offense was not on the field long, which put our defense back out there sooner than they would like. Plus how many yards were given up in the fourth quarter when the game was well out of hand. what they call junk time.

That being said we still only held them to 3 points. I think thats an excellent job but I also dont think they earned their blackshirts yet.

If you look at the points on the board from FAU......................then yes they earned them.

If you look at the yards they put on us considering who they are...................then no they didn't.

It's going to take a few games before we really see the defense playing at the top of their game. It takes a few games to get back to game speed.

it was tough on the defesne. First game out, you tend to get tired quicker, especially if you are playing a team that ran no huddle alot. The times when they ran no huddle, they picked up a majority of their yards. Otherwise, good defensive effort. Flying to the ball. Didn't see too many folks outta position. 2 picks, could have been three. Overall, I am very happy with our effort. Yea, we can improve in areas, but damn we looked better than last year.

So go easy on them. We knew FAU would move the ball. No touchdowns and some picks. That's good. We'll get better.

To those of you wondering where are pass rush was and why we didnt blitz, it was because FAU was in mass protection most of the night. They had 7 or 8 players blocking on most every play. You do this against a team with a dominant D-line. Problem is this only gives you 2 or 3 wrs on a play. Thats why you seen the qb have a lot of time to throw but didnt cause both of their wrs were double covered.

Now a couple reasons why we gave up so many yards. Most of our touchdown drives were not time consuming. We scored fast so our offense was not on the field long, which put our defense back out there sooner than they would like. Plus how many yards were given up in the fourth quarter when the game was well out of hand. what they call junk time.

That being said we still only held them to 3 points. I think thats an excellent job but I also dont think they earned their blackshirts yet.

I forgot about that mass protection deal. They even mentioned it during the game. FAU had 7-8 guys on the line blocking 4-5 of our guys. Smith would also roll out of the pocket a lot of times. 1st quarter we were a little flat. 2nd quarter we started to get in a rhythm. 3rd quarter we smoked em. 4th qtr we sort of fell flat again but I think that was only because we were rotating so many players in and out of the game.

Alright heres my thoughts on the D. They played well 3 points not to bad with a questionable penalty which gave them the 3. Everyone is saying hey where was the pass rush, heres what I think. Why show vatech and all the other big teams we are going to be playing this year some crazy blitz's or show them any type of good rush when we dont need to. We played a pretty basic d to get the new guys used to playing and to catch up to speed in a real time game. I think the pelini brothers have alot in store, saw some huge hits and alot of good things and im excited to see how this season is going to play out. on a side note Cody Green....that is all.

:nanalama:laughpound:nanalama:nanalama:nanalama:nanalama:nanalama