Observations/Advice after Game 1

HuskerBCS

After a successful opening to the 2009 season I had a couple ideas that pertain to the atmosphere of the stadium. First of all, the HD is amazing on the video boards and the ribbon boards are really cool and provide great info on them. However, I was thinking that since the ribbon boards show the stats and game time/etc there is really no need to have those same stats, etc up on the Jumbo screen. I think it would be really cool if the entire screen was strictly a video screen. The actual video portion could be much bigger and easier to see.

Next, I have become very distraught with the current set of cheerleaders who are in charge of getting the "Husker Power" chant going before the tunnel walk. EVERY game they start it waaaay too late and it never gets going because the tunnel walk starts. Because of this I think that the STUDENT SECTION needs to take it upon themselves to get the "Husker Power" chant going. Now, this does not mean that the student section should split up and one part of them say Husker and the other say Power. Then entire section should say Husker and then the rest of the stadium should say Power. When the student section gets the chant goin only amongst themselves it is ok, but then the rest of the stadium tries to get in on it and it just sounds terrible. The "Husker Power" chant is amazing and needs to be restored to our pregame festivities. It really gets the crowd pumped up!

Totally agree about the Husker Power. Why can't they just use the ribbon boards and have one side flash 'Husker' and the other flash 'Power' since the cheerleaders are too inept to get it started?

Same thing happened last year. They kinda go it sorted out a few games in but either they started to late, or way to early. The ribbon board thing is a really good idea, maybe do it with the cheerleaders, would help keep them on time? :dunno

You cant make the big screen all video simply because of the format. Look at how wide it is and imagine stretching an image acrossed it, it would be extremely distorted. Second, the smaller screens are already chopped on the top and bottom with advertisements to fit the format of the big screen, 16x9 im assuming. So simply no can do...

Improvements

1. Better sound system.. i know crowd noise is important, but gimme some sound especially in the south endzone!!!

2. I like the new paint job on the skyboxes, but i think the white lines look ameteur and somewhat tacky

3. Add some seats..20,000 or so :)

4. Add another big screen on the south endzone with skyboxes and remove teh small 4 screens, does anyway actual watch those?? Build something really cool underneath to support it and remove the engineering building, who needs it ;)

You cant make the big screen all video simply because of the format. Look at how wide it is and imagine stretching an image acrossed it, it would be extremely distorted. Second, the smaller screens are already chopped on the top and bottom with advertisements to fit the format of the big screen, 16x9 im assuming. So simply no can do...

Improvements

1. Better sound system.. i know crowd noise is important, but gimme some sound especially in the south endzone!!!

2. I like the new paint job on the skyboxes, but i think the white lines look ameteur and somewhat tacky

4. Add another big screen on the south endzone with skyboxes and remove teh small 4 screens, does anyway actual watch those?? Build something really cool underneath to support it and remove the engineering building, who needs it ;)

Agree about the big screen in the South. The ribbon boards are cool. I wish they would scroll the scores from the other games, but maybe that would be too much visually. I was disappointed with the tunnel walk. I thought it was kinda of boring. I also am disappointed with nearly everyone who sat around me. Young and old were complaining about people standing up, especially in the first quarter. If that bothers you and people standing up and yelling bothers you, watch it on PPV.

Improvements

Agree about the big screen in the South. The ribbon boards are cool. I wish they would scroll the scores from the other games, but maybe that would be too much visually. I was disappointed with the tunnel walk. I thought it was kinda of boring. I also am disappointed with nearly everyone who sat around me. Young and old were complaining about people standing up, especially in the first quarter. If that bothers you and people standing up and yelling bothers you, watch it on PPV.

The Husker Power chant is by far my FAVORITE chant and when I was at the New Mexico State, Baylor, and Colorado game last year and the Cheerleaders did it but it was too late or they didn't do it at all and I was really bummed out. The last time that I heard that full chant was at the Husker Spring game back in 06 and I usually go to 2-3 home games a year....pretty sad if you ask me.

The Husker Power chant is pretty intimidating and I think that if a recruit heard that during his visit for a Husker game, I think that kind of chant will intimidate that recruit but yet will pump him up at the same time. I just might have to send somebody in the Athletic department explaining this missing chant and see if we can get this fixed.

As far as the Ribbon Boards go I think that having the HUSKER on one side and POWER on the other would be pretty neat and would probably get the crowd into it.

After a successful opening to the 2009 season I had a couple ideas that pertain to the atmosphere of the stadium. First of all, the HD is amazing on the video boards and the ribbon boards are really cool and provide great info on them. However, I was thinking that since the ribbon boards show the stats and game time/etc there is really no need to have those same stats, etc up on the Jumbo screen. I think it would be really cool if the entire screen was strictly a video screen. The actual video portion could be much bigger and easier to see.

Next, I have become very distraught with the current set of cheerleaders who are in charge of getting the "Husker Power" chant going before the tunnel walk. EVERY game they start it waaaay too late and it never gets going because the tunnel walk starts. Because of this I think that the STUDENT SECTION needs to take it upon themselves to get the "Husker Power" chant going. Now, this does not mean that the student section should split up and one part of them say Husker and the other say Power. Then entire section should say Husker and then the rest of the stadium should say Power. When the student section gets the chant goin only amongst themselves it is ok, but then the rest of the stadium tries to get in on it and it just sounds terrible. The "Husker Power" chant is amazing and needs to be restored to our pregame festivities. It really gets the crowd pumped up!

During my one and only year as a season ticket holder, I was so high up that I did not even know the cheerleaders led the cheer. I just thought it was tradition. Other than the National Anthem, it was my favorite non-football part of the experience (that & the Fairbury hot dogs). So yeah, it needs to be done right. If the cheerleaders can't get it going then the student section (or someone else) needs to take the lead.