Va Tech Observation

C-4

Watching Verginia Tech / Alabama Duel, it was quite clear that Tech is going to cover our recievers like glue when we go to Blacksburg - and honestly, I dont think our wr's & Lee have what it takes to move the ball through the air on them this year.

Why?

How do you conscientiously think this?

For putting it out there, explain why you think this. Dont ask ppl to explain why not. Man up. What did you see from Cody Green in five snaps during mop up duty that makes you believe Zac Lee doesnt have what it takes to move the ball, and Green does.

I have tickets to the Misery game. I have relatives who are Misery fans. I fear that we will not be able to throw on them with this group of recievers and Lee. If that is the case they will shut down our running backs. Though some tell me how great Lee is at running the ball; I just don't see it. Green might be the incompetent freshman that will lose games that many seem to think. But if I am right, he is the only chance we have of not getting embarassed for a 3rd consecutive year and having to listen to my family rag on the Big Red. If VT shuts down our offense with Lee, I am confident Green will get an opportunity. Option football is still alive as Navy and Ga Tech seem to thrive. I fear against real opponents our passing game will be successful only when a defense has to really be afraid of our running game, with a very dangerous running quarterback.

Saying after one game against a team that was hired to make us look good that Lee and these recievers are capable of moving the ball against VT or the conference tough teams is whistling by the graveyard. If he can and we blow out VT and Mizzou, then I shall say that I was indeed wrong. I watched that Misery-Illinois game. I was very impressed with them on both sides of the ball. Though I think Illinois does not have a good game day coach; Misery manhandled their offense just like they did ours the last two years. Their offense looked unfortunately like it was better than the teams we have played the last two years. I think that with a QB who can throw adequately and run the option very well, we could even have a shot at the big South programs. I don't like our chances without that added dimension.

If Green can throw the ball well enough on the move that will put tremendous pressure on a defense that most of our opponents are not used to having. They play against some form of the spread constantly, Baylor is the only team with such running ability at QB, but he doesn't have the surrounding cast that we have and I doubt can throw the ball as well as Green. Green, rolling after ripping off a 50 yard run two plays before, with Helu or Burkh. trailing would put pressure on any defense we face. Or so it seems to me. The coaches will make a decision and we will all root for it to work.

Let me start with this...

Not the best angle, but skip ahead to 2:20. Lee is not some stone-footed, pocket-only passer. This fantasy you have about Lee not being a threat with his feet is ridiculous. So here I am calling BS. He's not Tommy Frazier, but he's fast enough that teams will not be able to just ignore him as a run threat. If they do, he's going to pick up 10 or 12 yards and make them pay. Fine by me...not good enough for you, though?

Saying after one game against a team that was hired to make us look good that Lee and these recievers are capable of moving the ball against VT or the conference tough teams is whistling by the graveyard. If he can and we blow out VT and Mizzou, then I shall say that I was indeed wrong.

Now let me address this gem... How is what you're doing any different? You saw Green during mop duty against the SAME TEAM that Lee played against and you're convinced he's our best hope for the season. So people can't justifiably take confidence in Lee from seeing him play 3 quarters of the game, but you can from seeing Green play mop duty for one quarter in the same game? Way to go...

Also, nicely done on setting yourself up to only be wrong if we blow out VT and Missouri. I'm sure it never occurred to you that, no matter how Lee performs against them, Green could end up doing much worse. Of course not! That's why you're only wrong if we blow out both VT and Missouri.

Give me a break.

Watching Verginia Tech / Alabama Duel, it was quite clear that Tech is going to cover our recievers like glue when we go to Blacksburg - and honestly, I dont think our wr's & Lee have what it takes to move the ball through the air on them this year.

Why?

How do you conscientiously think this?

For putting it out there, explain why you think this. Dont ask ppl to explain why not. Man up. What did you see from Cody Green in five snaps during mop up duty that makes you believe Zac Lee doesnt have what it takes to move the ball, and Green does.

Its not that Lee isnt a good enough quarterback, its that I dont see ANY quarterback having a good game against them, through the air. And if our receivers dont step up from there FAU performance, it wont help the cause.

Imo, it would be at least worth a shot to create a new dimension by getting Green in there a little bit and exploiting there Team weakness. Just a thought

Stop with the Green fetish.

:yeah

Why is everybody ignoring Lee's performance on Saturday and pushing the starting job for Green??? :dunno:

Lee performed really well Saturday night and I feel really confident in Lee as our starter as so did my guest at my house. We all agreed that he seemed to pass the ball a whole lot better and faster than Ganz and Lee knew when to not make a play out of nothing. Lee knew when to throw the ball away where Ganz would make something out of nothing and at times that would work for Ganz...nothing against Ganz because I really like Ganz and I still do.

Lee looked better as the game progressed and that Lee got more comfortable in the pocket but once that pocket began to breakdown he wasn't afraid to run with the ball or throw it away. Lee felt confident in his feet with running the ball and most QB's basically freak out when that pocket collapses and they don't know what to do with the football....like Sam Keller did a few years ago. I think that Lee would've had almost a perfect game if so many WR's and TE's didn't drop soo many balls......gotta catch those easy ones.

I'm real confident with Green as our backup too. I doesn't hurt to have an excellent backup like Green because look at OU for instance. They relied on Bradford too much and once he went down they're backup didn't perform well at all and struggled with his passing game and with the pressure of the pocket breaking down to force bad passes.

I haven't seen enough of Zac to erase some of my concerns as to how he'll perform when he's getting pressured by tough defenses. Will he have the heart of Joe Ganz, or will he go down like a French prize fighter? I just don't know yet........so I understand where some people are coming from with their comments. We need to keep in mind that the game plan was done in a vanilla way to build the players' confidence, so no quarterback was going to look stellar with those calls. Watson kept it basic so Zac would start getting his game legs.

I am as big of fan of Cody Green as anyone. However.....with that said, Green is...well...."green." While that scamper was pretty nifty and we all want him to be the next coming of Tommie Frazier, don't overlook the pass that he put too much zip on would be an interception in Blacksburg. He needs more reps in game situations just like he got on Saturday night. After all, we don't want all of our eggs in one basket like OU.

I think the coaches have it all pretty much in hand. Patience......let's watch this evolve.

Let me start with this...

Not the best angle, but skip ahead to 2:20. Lee is not some stone-footed, pocket-only passer. This fantasy you have about Lee not being a threat with his feet is ridiculous. So here I am calling BS. He's not Tommy Frazier, but he's fast enough that teams will not be able to just ignore him as a run threat. If they do, he's going to pick up 10 or 12 yards and make them pay. Fine by me...not good enough for you, though?

Saying after one game against a team that was hired to make us look good that Lee and these recievers are capable of moving the ball against VT or the conference tough teams is whistling by the graveyard. If he can and we blow out VT and Mizzou, then I shall say that I was indeed wrong.

Now let me address this gem... How is what you're doing any different? You saw Green during mop duty against the SAME TEAM that Lee played against and you're convinced he's our best hope for the season. So people can't justifiably take confidence in Lee from seeing him play 3 quarters of the game, but you can from seeing Green play mop duty for one quarter in the same game? Way to go...

Also, nicely done on setting yourself up to only be wrong if we blow out VT and Missouri. I'm sure it never occurred to you that, no matter how Lee performs against them, Green could end up doing much worse. Of course not! That's why you're only wrong if we blow out both VT and Missouri.

Give me a break.

Husker fans, We have a lot of football to play. We have accomplished absolutely nothing by beating an FUA team except it was the only way we can still go undefeated. <_<<_< We can feel reasonably confident that a weak team will not beat us. You are correct that I do not know from his performance against the weak opponent in a mop up role any more about than we do about Lee standing up against a really good defense. He did as well as needed in the game against FAU as we can say for the recieving corps for that game. I just don't think our passing game will get it done against the better schools we play.

My point was not to set any bar for Lee's performance as to whether I was right or wrong about Green, but was meant to say I might be totally wrong. If we beat Missouri by one point or play them close with Lee it is better than we have done lately. I just have a feeling that Green is the QB and that at some point this season he might take over the reins. IF we are successful in moving Nebraska football to a higher plane with Lee, that's GREAT. If however it looks like we are going the other way; I seriously doubt that Bo will do so without shaking things up.

I saw the posts claiming Ganz was not the QB that Lee is. I will use the same logic. Ganz got us on the road last year and you could see improvement late in the season and with our two senior recievers, gave us a great passing offense. We'll see if that occurs with this bunch. If it does I will be as happy as anyone here. And in the kibitzing fan department (after all we only play 3 hrs a week 12 or 13 weeks a year so there is a whole lot of time to fill) I will admit that I was terribly wrong about Lee and our passing game.

And I'll just bet that if Green becomes the QB and leads us to the next level of competing with the best teams; every one of you will be a Green fan. It's Bo's team. It's our passion.

Stop with the Green fetish.

Why is everybody ignoring Lee's performance on Saturday and pushing the starting job for Green??? :dunno:

Lee performed really well Saturday night and I feel really confident in Lee as our starter as so did my guest at my house. We all agreed that he seemed to pass the ball a whole lot better and faster than Ganz and Lee knew when to not make a play out of nothing. Lee knew when to throw the ball away where Ganz would make something out of nothing and at times that would work for Ganz...nothing against Ganz because I really like Ganz and I still do.

Lee looked better as the game progressed and that Lee got more comfortable in the pocket but once that pocket began to breakdown he wasn't afraid to run with the ball or throw it away. Lee felt confident in his feet with running the ball and most QB's basically freak out when that pocket collapses and they don't know what to do with the football....like Sam Keller did a few years ago. I think that Lee would've had almost a perfect game if so many WR's and TE's didn't drop soo many balls......gotta catch those easy ones.

I'm real confident with Green as our backup too. I doesn't hurt to have an excellent backup like Green because look at OU for instance. They relied on Bradford too much and once he went down they're backup didn't perform well at all and struggled with his passing game and with the pressure of the pocket breaking down to force bad passes.

Looks like we were watching the same game, huskerjock.

Lee can lead this team. Having Green as a backup, is just a plus, a big plus. Receivers need to hang on a little better, your right.

I can see why Okl wanted Lee. Hard to figure out how a team like Okl, with the way they have recruited, don't have a #2 qb, that's already had a lot of playing time. They have had a ton of blowouts the last few years. Did they have some transfers at qb?

I know why we are thin at qb, but you wouldn't think Okl would be. Barring any injuries we seem to be set at qb, for some time.

GBR!!!

I could see several plays designed for Green somewhat like other teams using their running backs and direct snaps. Something like NU did with Lucky from time to time only inserting Green instead. The coaches have a lot better handle on what to do than any of us. I'm also looking forwards to watching this evolve but Lee is a pretty darned good qb. Like most of the latest crop of qb's that Watson has coached they are not "All American" caliber talents but rather generic. He gets them prepared and they do a good job. Down the road however Nebraska will need more than generic qb's. But I don't see any real changes this year baring an injury to Lee. Next season could see some intense competition for that spot however.