What Happened on That Kick Return Today?

Enhance

So, I don't remember what part of the game it was, but at some point their was a bit of a scuffle on the field, one of our players removed his helmet, got a personal foul call, and then collapsed on the field in pain. All I saw was two guys on top of him during the kickoff, and then them getting into a little argument.

Anybody see what happened? I missed it and didn't hear any of the announcers on the radio after the game talk about it.

So, I don't remember what part of the game it was, but at some point their was a bit of a scuffle on the field, one of our players removed his helmet, got a personal foul call, and then collapsed on the field in pain. All I saw was two guys on top of him during the kickoff, and then them getting into a little argument.

Anybody see what happened? I missed it and didn't hear any of the announcers on the radio after the game talk about it.

I believe he got hit/punched in the throat. think he took off his helmet to breathe (could've been anger too i suppose)

Eric Martin got into it with a couple of the ASU players. He got up and ripped his helmet off. I don't know he he came to be on the ground writhing in pain??? He looked fine popping up off the ground and then pulling his hat off. He made it down the field 10 yards or so before doubling over. Maybe it was preemptive...... "coach is going to put a boot in my a$$....... yowza!!!"

In all seriousness though, I hope he is OK. He looked to be clutching his chest maybe???

EDIT: Dang I am slow! Looks like you guys got it covered......

I believe he got hit/punched in the throat. think he took off his helmet to breathe (could've been anger too i suppose)

Unfortunately even if it was to breathe, thanks to the NCAA not thinking through their rules much, it would still be a penalty. Until it is clear that he is injured and is essentially given permission to remove it, he is not allowed to remove it on the field of play. By the book, the referee made the right call. Given the circumstances, though, I don't think the referee would have been reprimanded for not throwing the flag on Martin. Really, they should have been paying more attention, and the proper call would have been offsetting personal fouls, and a possible ejection of the ASU player if Martin was actually choked/punched.

Yeah, BigBL87 got it right. It looked like Martin was at the bottom of a four-man pile (with the other three not being Huskers). It definitely appeared that some sort of extra curricular activities were going on and I really wish the officials would have been able to catch it.. leading to the offsetting penalties.

Seemed to me like he made a freshmen mistake by taking helmet off, realized it, then flopped on the injury to cover his ass. Hope all will be fine though.

he was being given the business by some ass hats from asu, he was on the bottom of the pile and they were definately doing extra curricular activities

Seemed to me like he made a freshmen mistake by taking helmet off, realized it, then flopped on the injury to cover his ass. Hope all will be fine though.

he was being given the business by some ass hats from asu, he was on the bottom of the pile and they were definately doing extra curricular activities

It looked like a gang beatdown.

The refs today were "slow"