Defensive Scheme against VT

Billyball

Obviously we are going to have to slow down the RB's first and foremost, but when we get them into obvious passing situations I would like to see the corner blitzing from the widest side of the field. By coming hard from the outside angle with good speed it cuts off most of the escape for Taylor- and the defense can sort of team up from there. Also corner blitzes force QB's to make quick reaction throws, and I don't think Taylor is very good at that, he is best when he can scramble and find a wide open guy.

This is gonna be a close game you guys, i dont see a shut out from either side, unless something just goes terribly wrong. I want to see Nebraska come out with the tempo and momentum we had in the 1st half of the ASU game, we scored on the first drive and we kept it going till half-time. I expect VT to put up some numbers as well, especially against our defense that hasnt looked very shiny and crisp during the last two games. I think if our offense comes out, ignores the crowd, and plays smart football, no misread routes, no forcing passes, no stupid penalties, they will be able to handle themselves just fine. Its the defense im concerned about and to whether or not they can handle the VT offense.

My prediction is - VT 35 - Huskers 38 (Alex Henery kicks the game winning FG late in the 4th)

I don't think we will pass rush hard against Taylor. Force him to stay in the pocket and take away his scramble game, with a four man rush. Blitz on occasion but not much, mix it up and disguise it and never lose contain on the outside. If we force him to be a pocket passer we will have a good chance. Play the run and don't have any blown assignments that give up deep balls in the passing game. Not complicated in theory but on the field it's tough. Our linebackers will be a huge key in stopping the run game. If they step up, fill run lanes and make sure tackles we have a chance.

We need to keep them to less than five yards a carry, try to contain Taylor and force him to beat us with the pass. Then it will be up to our offense to avoid turnovers and we're golden.

Exactly, we don't need to get to him a lot. We do have to keep him in that pocket, maintain rush-lanes and collapse that pocket. If we stunt we gotta maintain responsibilities, can't have two guys inside and nobody outside. Then we gotta avoid the missed assignments that plagued us last year. Make Tyrod make tough thows.

But first we gotta put VT into passing-downs, that will be the big challenge. If we can actually stop the VT rushing attack we should be able to stop the meh passing-attack. Our LB's gotta up their game.

There were a couple of plays where the D line ran stunts ( Inside guys became ends, outside guys played inside rushers.) I hope this is cleaned up because there was no contain. Even on the play were Crick got a sack, he rushed inside instead of staying in his outside pass rush lanes. Against Fau and Ark State OK, but If they run these kind of stunts and do not stay in their lanes Tyrod could get in the open field and that will be trouble.

I am very concerned about our d-line. Allen, Suh, and Crick are pretty solid. However, Turner is not very good. He gets pushed around way too easily and he just doesn't look like the Turner of old.

The backups for our starters are not very good either. Every time they are put in, big yards are put up.

As far as the defensive scheme, I hope it's nothing too complicated. Last year we tried to get cute against Missou and it ended horribly. Just do what the players are comfortable with. If they can execute on a simple defensive scheme, we will be fine.

Keep in mind that Bo said that he wasn't showing everything that the huskers where ccapably of doin on offence and deffence. Just Remember that we have only allowed 12 point in two games, but then again it was Arkansas St. and FAU. I think if the huskers show up to play a physical game they can come away with a win.

Do you have a link for Bo saying that? I've heard a lot of people say we weren't showing everything, but I haven't heard or seen the coaches say it.

I'm not sure how we'll fare against VTech, but in theory I would think that the defensive scheme is easy - STOP THE RUN and you win the game. If you force Tyrod to throw they are in big trouble. He has more INT's than touchdown passes if I'm not mistaken. If we can box him in, beat down their rushing attack, we should win the game. Easier said than done, unfortunately.

Yep, I agree. It all looks easy on paper. Our front 4 is going to be the key. Those backs get to the 2nd level and we are in trouble with our young LB crew. We have been very vanilla on defense so far and for good reason. Taylor's arm is good enough to keep us honest but not much more then that. We get them in 3rd and long and there are many things we can do on defense. If we dont blitz, we do need to have a QB spy. Doesnt take Taylor long to pick up 10 yards with his feet. We really need to be careful with the football and win it late IMO.

Keep in mind that Bo said that he wasn't showing everything that the huskers where ccapably of doin on offence and deffence. Just Remember that we have only allowed 12 point in two games, but then again it was Arkansas St. and FAU. I think if the huskers show up to play a physical game they can come away with a win.

Do you have a link for Bo saying that? I've heard a lot of people say we weren't showing everything, but I haven't heard or seen the coaches say it.

unfortunately I don't, but I have heard it when i was watching and listening to the game also on the big red wrap up show after the fau game. that's all i can give you man sorry.

We have not faced a ground game like VT. Did Alabama fill the box and play some man on their WRs taking away the run? Your thoughts as to how you think we will approach the game? Make the Hokie QB prove he can beat us throwing? Would seem logical. We've played a very conservative defense against a couple of teams that required no alterations because of the score. With young linebackers will we keep them up and send them in or keep them in a scheme they are familiar with in the first two games and see if that will work against VT? Twill be one exciting Saturday and tell us a lot about this team.

VT 45 Corn 27...... Alert the police..... Going to be some spousal abuse this weekend...Hide your dogs!!!

"I’m not used to losing. I’m not used to getting beat soundly. Once again, that’s my fault. Yes, damn right, yes, I am embarrassed. I apologize to the team, I apologize to the state of Nebraska, I apologize to everybody associated with the University of Nebraska football and it’s my responsibility. I was hired to do a job and I didn’t do that job tonight.” – Bo Pelini

Get ready to cut and paste this Bo. Save you some time in 2 of the next 3 games....

Oh Crap...!!!! Mizzou just scored again down in Lincoln!!!!!! 93-23 and counting!!!!! But you will win this year. OK!!!!!

I am amazed ESPN picked this game for a 3rd consecutive season after being over at half the last 2 years.

Also, VT doesn't lose at home non-conference....EVER!!!!

"I’m not used to losing. I’m not used to getting beat soundly. Once again, that’s my fault. Yes, damn right, yes, I am embarrassed. I apologize to the team, I apologize to the state of Nebraska, I apologize to everybody associated with the University of Nebraska football and it’s my responsibility. I was hired to do a job and I didn’t do that job tonight.” – Bo Pelini

Get ready to cut and paste this Bo. Save you some time in 2 of the next 3 games....

Oh Crap...!!!! Mizzou just scored again down in Lincoln!!!!!! 93-23 and counting!!!!! But you will win this year. OK!!!!!

I am amazed ESPN picked this game for a 3rd consecutive season after being over at half the last 2 years.

Also, VT doesn't lose at home non-conference....EVER!!!!

Once a troll.........