Husker fans being overly optimistic

What does playing vanilla on defense have to do with the d-line getting blown off the ball at times and all the missed tackles?

Part of it could be that when you play a vanilla defense, you might have less gang tackling, and the O-line can be more aggressive if they know where the D will be each time, because there's not much stunting or shifting. I don't think it accounts for all of the leaked yards and such, but the offense has an advantage when the defense is giving a lot of the same looks. I agree that the missed tackles and not dominating the line is cause for some concern, but it's not totally absurd that the vanilla defense had something to do with it.

I don't know how much anybody else knows about football at the college level, but I know how much I know.

IMHO you are both right. Missing tackles and getting blown off the ball are not directly because of the scheme.

However, if you run less vanilla with more stunts, twists, LB and Secondary run blitzes the chance of having more than one guy at the point of contact does increase exponentially therefore missed tackles go down quickly. It also has to do with what the opponent has seen on film and what they will be prepared for. Also, missed tackles is easy to fix. Every time they miss a tackle they sit out and the team runs sprints. They watch as their team does some calisthenic exercise that absolutely sucks. Eventually, if you have the right culture in place (which I believe Pelini does) they won't want to see their brothers suffer because they made a mistake. With Pelini as the coach, I wouldn't worry too much about missed tackles until it becomes a habit.

As far as the DLine, not many times when the #1 dline was on the field were they pushed backward. Matter of fact Suh and Crick spent the majority of their day in the backfield. When you rush only 4 against a spread team like that you are going to A) get extremely tired on your defensive front and B) give up a lot on QB scrambles. This is why we will stunt, twist, and blitz Taylor.

Tyrod Taylor is nowhere near the threat through the air that Rusty Smith or Corey Leonard were. I would argue that Leonard is a more complete QB and more dangerous than Taylor when scrambling because he is so accurate on the move THROWING the football.

I would say we were not that vanilla on offense against ASU like the first week. I am not as good with offense as defense, so if somebody more in tune with that side of the ball could share their opinion on that it would be great.

Just my $.02.....

What does playing vanilla on defense have to do with the d-line getting blown off the ball at times and all the missed tackles?

Part of it could be that when you play a vanilla defense, you might have less gang tackling, and the O-line can be more aggressive if they know where the D will be each time, because there's not much stunting or shifting. I don't think it accounts for all of the leaked yards and such, but the offense has an advantage when the defense is giving a lot of the same looks. I agree that the missed tackles and not dominating the line is cause for some concern, but it's not totally absurd that the vanilla defense had something to do with it.

:yeah

Wow wish you would have posted one minute before, would have saved me a lot of typing.

VT is almost the same team as Clemson last year if we play like we played Clemson last year I think we will have the same result. Hopefully the absence of Q won't be too big of a factor to overcome.

Tech has a STRONG running game, Clemson doesn't. VaTech plays top 10 quality defense nearly every year, Clemson doesn't. Clemson was a POOR spread team, VaTech is a power I team that runs multiple sets/formations. What the heck are you talking about?

I think we have the capability to beat every team we play this year, even VT and OU. This of course would require nearly perfectly-executed games, but I believe we have the potential to do it. Losing many games this year or winning them will not come as a surprise to me. We can do either, it's just up to the team and preparation and execution.

In many ways I agree. We have a better coaching staff (I think) .

"losing many games this year or winning them will not come as a surprise to me. It's just up to the team and preparation and execution".

I am with you there as well when it is "up to the team" . But I diverge if you mean the losses would come from lack of effort by our players or preparation by the coaches. I still worry that we simply don't have the hosses. I do not question the effort of the players or the coaching statt.

Before the season would you have said BYU had the "hosses" to beat OU? Yes Bradford was out, but it goes to show that you can win games you're technically not supposed to. I obviously don't think we'll go undefeated, but I have stopped looking at games as definite losses this year. VT and OU will be very hard, but I still think we can pull them off with our players playing to their fullest ability. I really do think we can win tomorrow, but like I said, it's going to have to be a really well-played game by us.

Before the season would you have said BYU had the "hosses" to beat OU? Yes Bradford was out, but it goes to show that you can win games you're technically not supposed to. I obviously don't think we'll go undefeated, but I have stopped looking at games as definite losses this year. VT and OU will be very hard, but I still think we can pull them off with our players playing to their fullest ability. I really do think we can win tomorrow, but like I said, it's going to have to be a really well-played game by us.

Yes, i p[redicted 4 losses for OU on the Sooner Illustrated board, but a 27-13 win over BYU. I was banned from there until 9/20. I knew the lack of depth and new OL and WRs woul hurt. I also do not think Norvell is a very good college WR coach.

When the preseason ranking came out the first thing I said was "Virginia Tech is severely overrated." they are not top 10 material, maybe not even top 15, so I think Nebraska will be able to at least hold their own and not get embarrassed ... if not win. I'll be rooting for the Huskers this weekend.

Talk about overrated!Clemson and Miami has already shown the most overrated team in the ACC!

I agree with you 100%

When the preseason ranking came out the first thing I said was "Virginia Tech is severely overrated." they are not top 10 material, maybe not even top 15, so I think Nebraska will be able to at least hold their own and not get embarrassed ... if not win. I'll be rooting for the Huskers this weekend.

Talk about overrated!Clemson and Miami has already shown the most overrated team in the ACC!

What is it with you guys and taking cheap shots at GT ... pretty sure they are not the opponent this week? Some kind of inferiority complex since NU has been down for some time now??? I was actually trying to provide insight since I am pretty sure I am more familiar with VT because they are in the ACC. Don't be so quick to open your mouth, you don't know who will be exposed tomorrow.