Husker fans being overly optimistic

I hope I'm wrong but I think that a lot of Husker fans are putting too much faith and confidence into winning this game. We all want to win but realistically this is a QB making his first road start at a loud stadium. Obviously his adrenaline will be puming hard (also because of TV), which could possibly lead to early mistakes that could doom us, reminiscent of last year when we went down 9-0 pretty fast.

Its the feeling I get before Husker games like this in recent era that show how far we have come. Obviously we haven't done well in those games and haven't been the same Negraska since the 2001 CU game. This win could set us up to come back from that loss, Pelini leading the Huskers to a great season and career for him. This pressure is a lot for the team to handle and especially in a road environment.

I predict the Huskers are going to play VaTech really tough but lose ia close one. I want to believe that we can hang with top teams on the road but its up to what the Huskers do on the field to make me believe that. We haven't had a BIG win since 01 Oklahoma. I pray that this is a turning point for the Huskers, but it is smart to not put so much faith in a pretty untested team.

you have been programmed to feel that way for the last 8 years.....well guess what, this is not the last 8 years! this is 2009, this is nebraska football, and this is going to be our first road win against a top 20 opponent since 1997, and lee will have a great game.

VT is arguably not as good as last season and we are much better...we lost by five last season and this season if it were at a neutral site vegas would have us as favorites!

we have reason to be confident and i sure as hell hope the players arent having the same feelings as you.....

you have been programmed to feel that way for the last 8 years.....well guess what, this is not the last 8 years! this is 2009, this is nebraska football, and this is going to be our first road win against a top 20 opponent since 1997, and lee will have a great game.

VT is arguably not as good as last season and we are much better...we lost by five last season and this season if it were at a neutral site vegas would have us as favorites!

we have reason to be confident and i sure as hell hope the players arent having the same feelings as you.....

I know this isn't the last 8 years. I'm not comparing this certain Nebraska team with any other one, I'm just saying as you noted as well its been 12 years since we beat a top 20 team on the road, and we will have to play a very smart game to overcome Beamer at VT.

I'm just afraid of people having your attitude, then seeing Nebraska come out and play poor and have the same old discussions about how we just aren't there yet. It will hurt a lot to have that hope and expectations and be let down. I know some are positive from 2 games we played this yeaer and the games we won last year, but this Va Tech team is better than anyone Pelini has beaten. But it is his chance to show that he is a good coach, but even if he doesnt win this one, we still have the rest of the year and other games to look forward to.

I know this isn't the last 8 years. I'm not comparing this certain Nebraska team with any other one, I'm just saying as you noted as well its been 12 years since we beat a top 20 team on the road, and we will have to play a very smart game to overcome Beamer at VT.

I'm just afraid of people having your attitude, then seeing Nebraska come out and play poor and have the same old discussions about how we just aren't there yet. It will hurt a lot to have that hope and expectations and be let down. I know some are positive from 2 games we played this yeaer and the games we won last year, but this Va Tech team is better than anyone Pelini has beaten. But it is his chance to show that he is a good coach, but even if he doesnt win this one, we still have the rest of the year and other games to look forward to.

I would rather think we will win a game and lose, then think we will lose.

I would rather think we will win a game and lose, then think we will lose.

my thoughts exactly...

as long as we play sound football and dont look ahead to next weeks match up, you know the 300th sell out and all the hooplah that is going on with it.

got to play each game and not lose sight of this weeks opponent.

seriously, i feel that if NU can contain the running of Taylor, limit the big plays from broken plays, create a turn over or two, NU has a great chance of winning this one.

we will see tomorrow

VaTech is very good at home and they can beat one dimensional teams, by stopping the run and forcing them to pass. If NU can't run better than they did vs ASU then they will be in for a long game and the Cody Green era might start sooner than thought. Nobody in the Big 12 had a defense as good as the hokies and no one runs the ball as well as they do. The Huskers have to stop the run and force might mite to pass the ball, which they are not very good at. In Lincoln they wore NU out with the running game and it showed late, the kids just would not say uncle, but VaTech was in control of the outcome. The running game, special teams, defense and TOs are what can put this game solidly in the win category for the Big Red. This is not a game I figured to be a win anyway, the Huskers are not yet the type of team that can go on the road in a non league game and take down a top 10 team.

I don't get the point.

First, we certainly CAN win. I don't see that much difference in the talent, and VT isn't unbeatable in Blacksburg. We're not playing the Steelers tomorrow.

I see no harm in believing we WILL win. There's not much fans can do to influence a game, but not having your fans believing in you has to negatively affect a team somewhat. Geez, really, what's in the hell is wrong with believing the Huskers will win?

Sure, if we lose there may be some let down. Maybe there will be some discussions afterwards about how we aren't there yet. How is that worse than thinking beforehand that we aren't there yet?

I also think if we play them close that people aren't going to be that terribly critical or crushed by it.

VaTech is very good at home and they can beat one dimensional teams, by stopping the run and forcing them to pass. If NU can't run better than they did vs ASU then they will be in for a long game and the Cody Green era might start sooner than thought. Nobody in the Big 12 had a defense as good as the hokies and no one runs the ball as well as they do. The Huskers have to stop the run and force might mite to pass the ball, which they are not very good at. In Lincoln they wore NU out with the running game and it showed late, the kids just would not say uncle, but VaTech was in control of the outcome. The running game, special teams, defense and TOs are what can put this game solidly in the win category for the Big Red. This is not a game I figured to be a win anyway, the Huskers are not yet the type of team that can go on the road in a non league game and take down a top 10 team.

I'm always hopeful that we 'can' win until it is impossible to do so late in the game. But I think many fans have taken the games we played against very weak opponents and the results along with ratings based on those games to mean we are truly ready for prime time. Nobody can say we are not a very good football team......however we have not even come close to proving it at this point.

If you have a heavyweight fighter who beats gym rats and sparring partners to a pulp, keeping emergency rooms busy, what do you know about him? "He is one of the greatest boxers of our time"--or---"He hasn't faced a worthy opponent and we don't know how good he is"

Right now the fan in me wants to believe we are really good. The realist knows that we have not played anyone that could test us and we may be better offensively than last year or we have played weak defenses and are not that good. The same goes for the other side of the ball.

I am glad we get a test because I think we have "practiced" against weak competition the right amount and it is time to take on a heavyweight in our division of college fb. I have some concerns and a lot of hope. My guess is that much of the coaching staff is in the same place.