The Streak continues

JTrain

People can use statistics to say whatever they want. If Nebraska had beaten VA Tech yesterday, then people would have moved on to, "Well Nebraska hasn't beaten a Top 10 team on the road since ______" It's all how people want to view Nebraska. Remember when we were fixated on 7 straight bowl losses back in the 80's-90's? Before that it was "Nebraska losing x number games in a row to Oklahoma."

We'll win some games. Maybe Missouri can look really good next week and catapult themselves into the Top 20. Or not :)

You are right, there will always be some negative streak, but I'm not just talking top 20 away games, here's a list of ALL the games we've won against ranked opponents in the last 10 years. Also check out my signature.

Sat, Nov 11 Texas A&M* - 24 at College Station, Texas 28 - 27 (W)

Sat, Oct 01 Iowa State 23 Memorial Stadium 27 - 20 (W) (2OT)

Sat, Aug 30 Oklahoma State - 24 Memorial Stadium 17 - 7 (W)

Sat, Sep 08 Notre Dame 5 17 Memorial Stadium 27 - 10 (W)

Sat, Oct 27 Oklahoma 3 2 Memorial Stadium 20 - 10 (W)

Sat, Sep 09 Notre Dame 1 23 at South Bend, Ind. 27 - 24 (W) OT

Sat, Dec 30 Northwestern 9 18 at San Antonio, Texas 66 - 17 (W)

Sat, Nov 06 Texas A&M 9 21 Lincoln 37 - 0 (W)

Sat, Nov 13 Kansas State 7 5 Memorial Stadium 41 - 15 (W)

Sat, Dec 04 Texas 3 12 at San Antonio, Texas 22 - 6 (W)

Sun, Jan 02 (2000) Tennessee 3 6 at Tempe. Ariz. 31 - 21 (W)

So 11 wins against ranked teams in 10 years, WOOT? After Solich's first 4 seasons we are a combined 3-20 against rated teams, that is sickening.

People can use statistics to say whatever they want. If Nebraska had beaten VA Tech yesterday, then people would have moved on to, "Well Nebraska hasn't beaten a Top 10 team on the road since ______" It's all how people want to view Nebraska. Remember when we were fixated on 7 straight bowl losses back in the 80's-90's? Before that it was "Nebraska losing x number games in a row to Oklahoma."

We'll win some games. Maybe Missouri can look really good next week and catapult themselves into the Top 20. Or not :)

You are right, there will always be some negative streak, but I'm not just talking top 20 away games, here's a list of ALL the games we've won against ranked opponents in the last 10 years. Also check out my signature.

Sat, Nov 11 Texas A&M* - 24 at College Station, Texas 28 - 27 (W)

Sat, Aug 30 Oklahoma State - 24 Memorial Stadium 17 - 7 (W)

Sat, Sep 08 Notre Dame 5 17 Memorial Stadium 27 - 10 (W)

Sat, Oct 27 Oklahoma 3 2 Memorial Stadium 20 - 10 (W)

Sat, Sep 09 Notre Dame 1 23 at South Bend, Ind. 27 - 24 (W) OT

Sat, Dec 30 Northwestern 9 18 at San Antonio, Texas 66 - 17 (W)

Sat, Nov 06 Texas A&M 9 21 Lincoln 37 - 0 (W)

Sat, Nov 13 Kansas State 7 5 Memorial Stadium 41 - 15 (W)

Sat, Dec 04 Texas 3 12 at San Antonio, Texas 22 - 6 (W)

Sun, Jan 02 (2000) Tennessee 3 6 at Tempe. Ariz. 31 - 21 (W)

So 11 wins against ranked teams in 10 years, WOOT? After Solich's first 4 seasons we are a combined 3-20 against rated teams, that is sickening.

I'd venture to say that its a luck issue. I think we have the curse of Sal.

My guess is that if you took out that 5 year period in the mid 90's it would look pretty much the same. We had problems with ranked teams anytime we played them.

I would be curious to see how Coach Osborne ranked in his years against top quality opponents on the road.

My guess is not a lot better.

It's just the hot topic right now. Very few remember TO's 8 bowl losses in a row because he rolled off 3 NC's in 4 years. However, at the time it was a very big deal. Once we beat a few top 20 teams, this hot button cools off considerably.

I remember this game well. I was so excited I spilled my beer!

To maybe put it in perspective though....you all are whining about a streak of not beating ranked teams? Try cheering for a team that (until last weekend) hadn't won a road game since freakin 2005! Or a team that hasn't won a conference road game since freakin 2005! Or a team that hasn't won in Lincoln since the God-Forsaken 70's!

Get a grip people... :angry:

Y'all need to put some skins on the wall before you should even talk B12 championships.

Mental or not, winning is the thing against real competition and currently the big red is a big loser.

Seriously, are you even reading the posts before you reply to them? Where was anybody talking about winning a Big 12 Championship?

And pray tell, how many "skins" does your team have on the wall, (I'm guessing Texas)?

Record Against Rated Teams:

Bernie Masterson (0-5-0 0%) (3 Years)

Bill Glassford (2-12-0 14%) First 4 Years (1-6-0 14%)

Pete Elliot (0-2-0 0%) (1 year)

Bill Jennings (3-7-0 30%) First 4 Years (3-6-0 33%)

Bob Devaney (13-12-2 48%) First 4 Years (2-3-0 40%)

Tom Osborne (62-39-1 61%) First 4 Years (10-7-0 59%)

Frank Solich (11-13-0 44%) First 4 Years (10-7-0 59%)

Bill Callahan (2-10-0 17%) (4 years)

Bo Pelini (0-4-0 0%) (1 year)

Okay, so we're 3-20 since Solich's first 4 years. The Bobfather won less than 50% of his games against ranked teams. Let's give Bo 4 years to see what happens. My guess considering how much better we already are from the Clownahan era is that it's on par with Devaney, TO, and Solich.

I love how everyone is fixated on this "no victories against top 20 teams on the road since" thing.

We have been more bad than good for about a decade now. That's all you need to know.

reality check... knapplc is to the point, and correct.

We not only have to beat ANY and EVERY opponent we play, we have to capture some meaningful titles along the way. Its only ONE loss... and a suck one at that. Endurance wins a marathon, now we find out what our team is REALLY made of.

I remember this game well. I was so excited I spilled my beer!

To maybe put it in perspective though....you all are whining about a streak of not beating ranked teams? Try cheering for a team that (until last weekend) hadn't won a road game since freakin 2005! Or a team that hasn't won a conference road game since freakin 2005! Or a team that hasn't won in Lincoln since the God-Forsaken 70's!

Get a grip people... :angry:

Another reality check... by our friend Cy. I wish there was a funny spin on this post, but I think reality is sinking in for most of us. time to dig in the heels, grit our teeth and play smashmouth football... and WIN!!

My guess is that if you took out that 5 year period in the mid 90's it would look pretty much the same. We had problems with ranked teams anytime we played them.

I would be curious to see how Coach Osborne ranked in his years against top quality opponents on the road.

My guess is not a lot better.

Rather than speculating you should do some research.

T_O_B

:)

Some of us have jobs that require us to work, not live on the computer looking up Nebraska facts.

I have enough experts here to correct me when I am wrong.

There were many losses that were hated. Could not win the big one over and over.

If you want stats, I suggest you get them. I come here to listen to what others say, I am not into being a walking statistics book.