Is Bo shunning the fans?

RedDenver

I don't think many of you are being fair to Tom. He is simply saying that if Bo gives him material to work with that the fans will get more material about bo and the huskers. If you regularly read his column you know that he likes Bo quite a bit.

Tom's job also depends on getting quotes, so yeah of course he wants the coach to speak.

Look, half of the coaches lose every week--many of them in close games--but most of them realize that the media needs them and the fans want to hear from them. most of them go do side-interviews and they all do pressers.

That doesn't mean Bo has to be nice, but to be pissed at the sports media is deflecting your anger about the game onto people who had nothing to do with the outcome of the game.

Its kind of like having a crappy day at work and so you take it out on the custodial staff. you may be "keeping it real" but you are still kind of an ass. :boxosoap

Bo hates the press. There is some BREAKING NEWS to report.

Shatel is butt hurt he cannot get the stories or quotes like he could under the old regime. Same goes for the rest of the reporters. They are essentially useless unless you just want to read some canned responses from the coaches every week reported by guys like Shatel, because that is all we get.

Bo doesn't want stuff leaking to the media and doesn't like speaking to the media in general. It's how he is and I doubt he is changing. Shatel better get used to it.

As someone else said, the only thing Bo owes us is a winning football team. He could be mum for the rest of his life for the media for all I care as long as he wins some football games.

you are right on the mark, big willie. your post sez it all.

Besides being po'd I think Bo felt all the questions had the same answer ... they didn't finish. Plenty of opportunities, they didn't get it done. They play as a team they win or lose as a team ... no need to single anyone out except for a little praise maybe. Simple as that. Its not Bo's job to sell newspapers or fill airtime.

I used to hate Osborne's press conferences, so dead pan, no emotion. Solich: catatonic.

Know who could give great press? Callahan! He could take a performance like this and come out with that big smile on his face and blow smoke up everyone's hinder about what a great job the team did and how they were just about there ...ugh.

What kind of coach do you guys want? I'll take a mean SOB who wants to win and doesn't hide his disappointment it over some guy who can schmooze the friggen press anyday.

Lee B OWH spokle to this when asked a question on the radio. He also mentioned the coaches show and the effect it may have on the recuits who watch these show and press conferences. He made some interesting point Tues afternoon on 1620 the zone.

He felt it may have an adverse effect. He is the CEO of Husker football and his demeanor is important to the program in many ways on several levels. And, the media can turn on you when you need them the most.

This issue goes to credability and trust. Sure, the fans want wins, but the fan also wants to be told the truth. When a coach declines to answer a question, or elaborate on a point, he has a reason for doing that. He doesn't just answer the questions he likes, or every fourth one, or some other random pattern. As time goes by, a coach will be judged by how honesty and success. IF the reason for not answering questions or elaborating appears to point to a pattern of the coach showing concern for players and attempting to foster a winning atmosphere, then the coach is respected more by fans. IF the reason for not answering or elaborating appears to be an attempt by the coach to cover up for his mistakes, mistakes that lost the game or set the program back, then fans hate the coach.

I think Bo has the best of intentions for the Husker program. He is not immune from making a mistake or being a jerk to people, but who is? And he has shown a pattern, so far, of not covering for his mistakes. He owns up to his screw ups.

As far as the media goes, the relationship between coach and reporter amuses me greatly, especially at places like Nebraska. Realize this...most reporters want the teams they write about to win because, well, who wants to talk to pissed off people all the time. Also realize that these people are charged with writing assignments for the team they cover and, at times, the picking can be pretty lean when it comes to topics. Reporters are forced, IMO, to go to way to many pressers, especially in spring and fall ball. Crazy questions come out when there is seeminly nothing worth asking. Also, know that reporters in a press conference roll their eyes right along with the fans when one of their colleagues asks a lame-O question.

Lee B OWH spokle to this when asked a question on the radio. He also mentioned the coaches show and the effect it may have on the recuits who watch these show and press conferences. He made some interesting point Tues afternoon on 1620 the zone.

He felt it may have an adverse effect. He is the CEO of Husker football and his demeanor is important to the program in many ways on several levels. And, the media can turn on you when you need them the most.

....this :thumbs